Stand Up | Teen Ink

Stand Up

By Bluekit GOLD, Rockton, Illinois
Bluekit GOLD, Rockton, Illinois

"Unicorns and glitter!" -Flo

Bullying. A word almost every kid dreads. They dread being the outcast. The reject. The person everyone bullies. The loner. Not being good enough or not meeting someone’s standards. Some dread it so much, they take their own lives. A tragic way to die.
If only the teachers had seen it sooner. If only the parents knew. If only the victim spoke up.
Statistics show in 2011 that 60% of middle school students say they have been bullied. Only 16% of staff believed that students had been bullied. They also say that over 160,000 stayed home from school to avoid bullying. 20% of high school students said they had thoughts of committing suicide in the past twelve months in 2011.
In my opinion, these numbers are too high. What can we do to stop bullying? There are numerous ways to prevent bullying.
Statistics show that over 50% of bullying decreased if the school had an anti-bully program running. If every school had an anti-bully program running, it might reduce the percentage of bullying. It would show the bullies how much they hurt the person who they were bullying.
It would also be more helpful if teachers kept an eye on students at all times. Many bullying cases occur on the playground or at passing time. Only 25% of bullied students said that teachers intervened a bullying incident; while 71% of teachers said they intervened a bullying incident.
Another way is to talk to the bully or stand up to them. Tell them how much it hurts when they call you names or physically hurt you. Try to help them understand bullying isn’t cool. Most likely, they bully just to impress their friends.
Tell a teacher or trusted adult. It’s one of the most commonly known ways to stop a bully from bullying you. Don’t worry; you won’t be a snitch or tattle-tale. Tattle-telling is when someone purposely tells on someone to get them in trouble. Just telling a teacher or trusted adult the situation is perfectly fine. It will help you in the long run.
Don’t just sit on the sidelines and watch bullying. Stand up for the bullying victim and let them know they won’t be alone.
Bullying is never, nor will it ever be, a tolerable matter. Together we can stand up to bullying and make it disappear. Poof!

Just a thought on bullying.

gayboy said...
on Nov. 14 2019 at 11:01 am
gayboy, Fortworth, Texas
f * c k you @SergeantSteel82

on Nov. 14 2019 at 9:03 am
SergeantSteel82 SILVER, Fort Wayne, Indiana

one of the greatest tragedies of our time is this impression that has been created that science and religion have to be at war.
-Francis Collins

Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, and in purity.
-1 Timothy 4:12, NIV Bible For Teen Guys

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
-Voltaire

In all honesty, I am glad his comments were directed towards me, because I couldn't care less about what he thought about me, but he still should not say stuff like that on this website or just in general.

urbad said...
on Nov. 13 2019 at 12:38 pm
urbad, Atalanta, District Of Columbia
np @SergeantSteel82

joemama69420 said...
on Nov. 13 2019 at 12:38 pm
joemama69420, Atlanta, Indiana
@SergeantSteel82

joemama69420 said...
on Nov. 13 2019 at 12:37 pm
joemama69420, Atlanta, Indiana
no problem

on Nov. 13 2019 at 12:37 pm

-Francis Collins

-Voltaire

your welcome @urbad, and thanks for your help as well.

urbad said...
on Nov. 13 2019 at 12:35 pm
urbad, Atalanta, District Of Columbia
k thanks for helping @SergeantSteel82

joemama69420 said...
on Nov. 13 2019 at 12:35 pm
joemama69420, Atlanta, Indiana
ok @SergeantSteel82

on Nov. 13 2019 at 12:34 pm

-Francis Collins

-Voltaire

I have no idea, I could take up to a week or two

urbad said...
on Nov. 13 2019 at 12:32 pm
urbad, Atalanta, District Of Columbia
how long will it take for the editor to see

urbad said...
on Nov. 13 2019 at 12:32 pm
urbad, Atalanta, District Of Columbia
i emailed him

on Nov. 13 2019 at 12:29 pm

-Francis Collins

-Voltaire

no problem @urbad

urbad said...
on Nov. 13 2019 at 12:29 pm
urbad, Atalanta, District Of Columbia
thank you

on Nov. 13 2019 at 12:25 pm

-Francis Collins

-Voltaire

@joemama69420, thank you as well

on Nov. 13 2019 at 12:24 pm

-Francis Collins

-Voltaire

you can find the editor's email in the "contact us" section at the bottom of the page.

urbad said...
on Nov. 13 2019 at 12:22 pm
urbad, Atalanta, District Of Columbia
i tryed to rport too

urbad said...
on Nov. 13 2019 at 12:20 pm
urbad, Atalanta, District Of Columbia
@SergeantSteel82 it says an error happend

joemama69420 said...
on Nov. 13 2019 at 12:19 pm
joemama69420, Atlanta, Indiana
thanks for your support @SergeantSteel82

joemama69420 said...
on Nov. 13 2019 at 12:18 pm
joemama69420, Atlanta, Indiana
i reported him too @SergeantSteel82

urbad said...
on Nov. 13 2019 at 12:09 pm
urbad, Atalanta, District Of Columbia
@gayboy tbh with you i don´t think you should be saying that on this website like its kinda inappropriate for this artical and kids reading it

Smith Summer

Parkland Speaks

Campus Compare