Silent No More | Teen Ink

Silent No More MAG

“Is he gay?”
"I think so.”
“Yeah, I'm pretty sure.”
“Ask him.”
“Hey, are you–”

The last period bell cut off the cacophony of fresh gossip. My ears burned with embarrassment, and I walked away as quickly as possible, feeling clunky and awkward. There had always been rumors about my sexual orientation, but the painfully straightforward questions made me cringe. I tried to shrug off the girls' malice as ignorance, but I became preoccupied with thought. My blood rose with anger as I heard their laughter in the background. Inhibitions blinded, I rashly shouted, “Some people are so rude!”

“You f-----t!”

“Wow! I haven't heard that before. You have to be the wittiest people I've encountered.”

This would have been a perfect response if I had said it aloud. In reality, as a shy, easily embarrassed freshman, I had yet to stand up for myself, let alone defend my sexual orientation. I wanted to tell someone what had happened, but I was too embarrassed by the situation. I had experienced gay jokes and “playful” comments before, but the hateful word those girls had used felt like a knife in my chest. A myriad of insecurity, second-guessing, and self-denial ­silenced me.

After weeks of agonizing and hiding the secret, I promised myself that I would never be silenced again. Gradually, I came out to my closest friends, then my sister, and finally my parents. With their support, I grew more comfortable, and I saw changes in my disposition. My face no longer reddened at the mention of homosexuality, and instead of slouching away from intrusive questions, I proudly proclaimed, “Yes, I am gay.”

It is difficult for me to pinpoint the moment of my epiphany, but as I gained confidence, I was finally able to face the ignorance and homophobia in my school. I spoke up with authority, and people began to listen and respect me. They recognized that I was not weak because of my sexual orientation and that I would not degrade myself with silence.

I became a leader in my school, and during sophomore year, I joined the Gay-Straight Alliance. My participation has helped me accept myself and forgive those girls and the others who have hurt me with their ignorance.

Hate is unproductive. I've learned that I cannot hold grudges or become bitter toward people who try to hurt me; their hate comes from misinformation and ignorance. My experiences have helped me to better understand homophobic people and to see the good in many of them.

My trials have been a blessing in disguise. Though I was knocked down, I built myself back up with clear goals and responsibilities. I now have two objectives: to provide a safe community for gay students, and to educate those who harass us.

on Nov. 22 2013 at 3:25 pm
this was a good piece of writing

on Nov. 19 2013 at 10:50 am
I have felt the same way before... All of those rude comments, of hatred and what they think... I have something to say being Gay is not easy... I tell you its not, all of those comments and everything... Its just not right... I love this story :)

on Nov. 8 2013 at 3:18 pm
KSkittles SILVER, Quitman, Mississippi

Love Is Like Heaven But It Hurts Like Hell

I just wanted to say that I loved your article and I liked how confident you are about who you are. I am also gay and I came out two years ago when I was a freshman. It was difficult but I had my friends and family help me through it. I finally stood up for my self and showed them that I am gay and proud. I stil get the occasional name calling but it eventually died down, and I am greatful for who I am and I thank them for calling me names and putting me through what they did. If they didn't do what they did I would not be who I am today.

Yuka said...
on Oct. 21 2013 at 9:51 am
I understand you had a hard time at school and ignorance hurts  you a lot. I like your positive attitude toward sexual orientation. Because it helps students to learn about sex minorities and get rid of the prejudice. I really respects your brave action!:)

maddimercy said...
on Aug. 26 2013 at 9:19 am
maddimercy, Richmond, Kentucky

“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." Marilyn Monroe

I have a bold respect for gay people. They prove that there is some good hearted and humble people in this world. They are living proof that it's okay to be different, Because you're different doesnt means thats all you are. There is so much more to people.  

Hazelbabe18 said...
on Jun. 25 2013 at 12:45 pm
Hazelbabe18, Orlando, Florida

"Everyone is beautiful in there own way"

i really like this GOOD JOB!!!:)

on May. 16 2013 at 11:04 am
RonnieAnn BRONZE, Bates City, Missouri
PixyMuffin: I totally understand where your coming from, I'm bisexual and I have hinted towards my parents that I like both girls and boys. My mom flipped and told me if that was really true then she wouldn't claim me as her kid. She says its wrong and thats not how God made us. I beleive in God and everything but I will always have an attraction to girls and guys. Guys seem fine with this... no surprise and girls don't seem to care either.

on Jan. 12 2013 at 4:32 pm
lunalonely SILVER, Golden, Colorado
I really like this, well done.

on Oct. 22 2012 at 12:27 pm
cecilia schacatano, Escondido, California
thats awesome i think thats true

Megan.T said...
on Dec. 9 2011 at 2:26 pm
I don't enjoy being teased just because of how we act. I was always hiding in the corner of my shell,but my mom said, "You have to get out there and share you're ideas". I will always remember that.

on Oct. 29 2011 at 11:52 am
alwayssunshine PLATINUM, Charlotte, North Carolina

Wow! What an amazing transformation. I'm proud of you---even though I don't know you!

gleek1234 GOLD said...
on Jul. 11 2011 at 11:04 am
gleek1234 GOLD, Burlington, Vermont

You did let me go you left me broken and heartless, crying out for help, with no one to answer my calls-Shilpa Pierpont-Hale ( poem) Love hurts

This was amazing!! Good job :)

gleek1234 GOLD said...
on Jul. 11 2011 at 11:03 am
gleek1234 GOLD, Burlington, Vermont

Pixy muffin ( cool nickname) your parents need to accept you for who you are!! An good luck coming out to them let me k lw how it goes!!:) I have two moms and im always supportive of the lgbt community!! I support you and others good luck also I have an article on my account that might help u called this I believe, you should check it out!!

on Dec. 25 2010 at 11:34 pm
bluesky0728 SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona

black-sapphire: It'd be nice if it always worked that way, but that's not necessarily the way it is with all people or all families.

PixyMuffin: Good for you for having the confidence to be yourself at school. I'm so sorry about your family situation, but just keep looking forward and it'll all work out if you remain true to yourself :)

on Dec. 25 2010 at 6:34 pm
black-sapphire BRONZE, Bismarck, North Dakota

"I'm in a fleshy tomb, buried up above the ground.
It's no use, why should I hold on?"
-Goodbye (I'm Sorry) by Jamestown Story

your family shouldn't treat you differently just because of your sexuality...the sooner your honest with them about it, the sooner they can accept it and love you for you..

on Nov. 30 2010 at 1:18 pm
PixyMuffin BRONZE, Kinston, Alabama

"Don't Hold onto the past so hard. You can't grip the future," - Megan Beam(my best friend)

I understand what you mean. I do love this article, except with me, i'm discriminated by my own family. I have to hide it around them because i don't want to be disowned. But reading this has gave me courage to look at the pros of being open to them other than the cons. At school however, everyone knows and they treat me like another person. Not some freak show. I really enjoyed reading your article. kudos!

on Jun. 28 2010 at 12:45 pm
toxic.monkey SILVER, Tashkent, Other

"Homo homini lupus"

high five! i'm glad you'vedealt with the problems you faced and ecstatic that the world's growing to be less homophobic :)

on Jun. 8 2010 at 10:43 pm
addicted2candy BRONZE, Little Rock, Arkansas
Kudos to you for being secure enough to just be yourself! That's something all teens have to deal with wether they're gay or straight. As far as the haters go; they're just a bunch of insecure kids who have nothing else to do with themselves. It's great that you were able to forgive them cuz that's the best thing you can do to be at liberty with yourself. Always remember to stay true to YOU. Even if you weren't gay, those kids would've found something else to make fun of you about. Don't ever let others' insecurities phase you sweety. Thanks for posting this because you story can serve as a lesson to us all. Keep up the good work and never stop writing!

brandisky said...
on Apr. 13 2010 at 11:07 am
agreed, it is. when i came out about being bisexual i was called the f world back and forth...so i decided to homeschool. imm going back next year tho, man is high school going to be interesting.

Nkeeyah BRONZE said...
on Apr. 12 2010 at 12:43 am
Nkeeyah BRONZE, Los Angeles, California

Only reason someone tells you that your dream is stupid is b/c they don't have any dreams of their own.

I know people who are gay and expirenced the same wrong as you. You are an amazing person for forgiving those girls. That word should never be used. It's wrong and demeaning to all.