Do Not Start Smoking | Teen Ink

Do Not Start Smoking

By Lexy Reinhart BRONZE, Uniontown, Ohio
Lexy Reinhart BRONZE, Uniontown, Ohio

Say no to tobacco. Falling into peer pressure can be the worst thing to do. Both teens and adults can talk you into doing it without even saying a word. That’s why I’m here to persuade you not to start smoking. Many people do smoke, but that doesn’t make the choice to do it right. Teens shouldn’t start smoking because it can cause lung cancer, it causes others around you to be in danger, and it can cost an outrageous amount of money.
Statistics show that tobacco contains more than four thousand chemicals, some of which are known to be poisonous or carcinogenic (cancer causing). Tobacco users who chose to smoke more often than normal are at higher risk for complications. Women are more likely to have pregnancy problems while smoking due to harmful substances within the cigarettes. Think about your health; literally burning it away should not be in your best interest. Common colds, heart disease, and lung cancer are all effects that can happen from making this wrong decision.

Think of your safety along with other’s too! Second hand smoke is just as bad, if not worse than taking a hit of a cigarette. I’m encouraging you not to let anyone, especially children around any smoke. Many lives could be saved by not smoking in front of people. It’s been said that approximately 3,400 lung cancer deaths and 46,000 heart diseases of adult non-smokers happened in the year of 2006. Now I would say that’s pretty sad considering it is not their fault. If a friend is smoking in front of you in a closed-in area, just ask politely for them to stop. It’s better to be honest and let them know that you don’t appreciate it, rather than be harmed when you could have spoke up to them.

Money is one of the biggest issues as well. People shouldn’t complain about their money situations when they spend half of it on buying cigarettes throughout the week. I understand that smokers become addicted to the nicotine, but that should be no excuse! There are many ways to quit smoking; most people just say they couldn’t do it, so there is no way to get them motivated. I am telling you that if you want to save money, don’t even start to begin with (think ahead). If you have already started my advice to you would be to try something cheaper to quit your habit, such as the special gum or patches.

Teens shouldn’t start smoking because it can cause lung cancer, it causes others around you to be in danger, and it can cost an outrageous amount of money. Say no to the peer pressures around you. Don’t start smoking if you want to stay healthy and smart. Make the right decision; smoking is not the way to go!

Work done: To make this essay better I took Mrs. Peterson’s advice that she wrote on my final copy and changed some things up. I revised, edited my mistakes and added detail.