Habitat For Hummanity | Teen Ink

Habitat For Hummanity MAG

For the past year, I have been a volunteer for Habitat for Humanity, a program dedicated to providing new homes for people with low incomes. All the work is done by volunteers. Many people in the construction industry also help, supervising people like me who have little or no construction experience.

Not only is volunteering at Habitat for Humanity beneficial to the family who receives the house, it is also heart-warming and fun. I feel like I'm truly making someone's dreams come true. The volunteers do all sorts of hands-on work from pouring the foundation to screwing in light bulbs. Just last week I put the floorboards down and installed sheetrock.

Only people who have worked hard all their lives for little pay and have struggled to support their families receive a Habitat home. Also, the chosen family continues working at their jobs while the house is being built, but whatever free time they have is used building their home. One of the best parts for me as a volunteer is having the chance to meet the family. Although the houses are fairly small and lack some amenities, they are always an improvement over prior living conditions.

I would strongly encourage anyone to get involved in this program. Habitat for Humanity always needs many volunteers. You could make a family very happy as well as making yourself feel good, too. fl