An Old Flame | Teen Ink

An Old Flame

February 27, 2009
By Brittany Smith BRONZE, Selma, Oregon
Brittany Smith BRONZE, Selma, Oregon
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Many people wish they could travel back in time, whereas I actually have the uncanny ability to do so. I make a point of fixing people's pasts. On this last voyage, however, I decided to fix my own. I chose that fateful September in 2005, when I was only 15years old and going to Ukiah High School in California. That year was a turning point in my life; a lot happened that I needed to fix.
Pulling into that high school, I immediately saw my younger self walking from the bus stop. I patiently waited by the band building and knew the urgency of changing my future. As I heard her (my younger self) walk by I instantly grabbed her, and pulled her into the band building. I dragged her down a long dark hallway, turned left and shoved her into a small practice room. This practice room was drearier than I remember. The room had a chill that made my hairs stand up like a cat scared for its life. The room did have two note stands, and chairs convenient enough for us to sit and chat. The best part about the practice rooms is that they're sound proof. When we sat down I began to study her, and I noticed how freaked out she looked. The look on her face was almost priceless. With confidence, I told her, 'Don't fret I am you from the future. In the next few months some bad things are going to happen to you. If we don't start doing some things differently, our life is going to take a turn for the worst. The first thing you need to do is break up with William and go to Ethan Smith's house to ask where Brett Hathaway is. Then, you must find Brett and tell him about me. That way he wont be flabbergasted as to who I am when he sees me later. When you're done, I will be waiting here, taking your classes for you. Doing this will make our future better. Also, you must promise me to do everything I have said, and to not break one rule?'
Quizzically, she just stared back at me and said, 'How do I know that you're not my imagination?'
To prove my point I leaned forward smacked her without causing too much harm and sternly said, 'If I wasn't real, you wouldn't be able to feel that now would you?'
Without hesitation, she shook her head 'no' and I continued saying, 'Now, my one rule is for you not to get high and forget what I have told you.' I leaned back in my chair and said, 'Now go on. Do what I just told you.'
She scrambled to get up and quickly ran from the room through the back door of the band building. After school, I waited the rest of the day for her to show up. Before I knew it the day became night, and a part of me knew she hadn't listened to a single word I had said.
Now I am stuck in my past trying to find the younger, ignorant me. I have to hangout with old friends in hopes to find a trace of her. All the while I am doing my best to maintain the look and act of the 15year old me. Each day my time is limited to search, but I have managed to fix some of the past. I broke up with William and am finally with Brett.