A Pawfully Intriguing Tale | Teen Ink

A Pawfully Intriguing Tale

May 29, 2015
By amitb913 BRONZE, Parsippany, New Jersey
amitb913 BRONZE, Parsippany, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“Help!” the gazelle shouted as the wild dog sprinted after him in hot pursuit. Though the dog was panting heavily, he finally caught up and pounced on the helpless animal. The canine ran about a zillion miles to finally end his chase. As the wildcat observed the wild dog’s hunting expedition, he concluded that hunting would take too much effort. The wildcat slept all day. He figured there was nothing else to do since hunting seemed very exhausting to him. Every now and then, he would, in fact, go hunting, but the wildcat would only hunt as much food as would keep him alive. His laziness fought with his stomach’s convincing pangs of hunger, and it seemed like an endless feud.

Why is it so hard to get food? the wildcat thought to himself. His thought soon faded as the lazy feline drifted back to sleep.
When he awoke, the wildcat saw the wild dog brawling with a ferocious hyena over the clean water in the river. The claws of the hyena sank into the dog’s flesh. He let out a cry of pain, but his resilience and determination allowed him to keep on fighting.
“You’re MINE now!” the wild dog said.
The hound sprang into the air, and with one quick slash, the hyena froze and fell to the ground. The wild dog was dangerously exhausted after the fight, and had to gulp down the river’s water in order to finally regain his energy.
The wildcat was truly amazed at this point, and approached the dog nervously. He knew that dogs and cats were natural enemies, so he had to be very delicate with his words as to not aggravate him.
“Uh...h...hi.” the cat stuttered.
The dog had just finished smacking his lips and had begun chowing down the body he had just savagely murdered. The blood of his prey ran down his mouth, which caused the wildcat to tremble in fear. The dog shifted his head towards the wildcat, revealing a pair of eyes that fixed onto the wildcat’s terror-stricken face.
“How do you do it?” the wildcat inquired.
The dog looked at him with a bewildered stare.
“How do you get food so easily?”
“Who said it was easy?” the dog replied. “Hunting requires loads of diligence and effort. The only way to get food is to work hard.”
The wildcat had always thought that hunting was too hard, and though he was correct, he could not bear to withstand the hunger any longer. He had learned the value of hard work, and how reward could only be gained through it. The feline had finally resumed his hunting, and had realized that it wasn’t as bad as his exaggerated thoughts. Thanks to the lesson the dog had taught him, the wildcat enjoyed life once again and was rarely hungry.

Moral: Do not expect results without hard work.