The War Across Dimensional Planes | Teen Ink

The War Across Dimensional Planes

By Connor Metzler BRONZE, Portage, Wisconsin
Connor Metzler BRONZE, Portage, Wisconsin

Chapter 1
The Orb.

James was walking along a mountain trail in the afternoon as he did every day. He was tall and lanky with blond hair. James was in pretty good shape due to his daily walks through the hills. It was just another one of his walks when out of the corner of his eye he saw something that wasn’t normally there. Out of natural curiosity he walked to the object that caught his eye. When he reached it James took a closer look, it seemed to be a sphere the size of a large marble. It looked like metal but not any that he had ever seen. James picked it up to get a better look at it when it started to grow hot. It grew hotter and hotter until it was almost unbearably scorching. When it became unbearable James felt the world start to spin and grow dark.
When James awoke he had no idea where he was but he could feel hard ground beneath him. When he sat up he looked around and stared in shock. He wasn’t in the forest that he found the orb in he was in a dry desert with mountains standing tall before him. Then something clicked in James’ mind. He remembered the orb and the hotness but when he looked at his hand for burns he found nothing not even a scratch. James looked around for the orb and found it sitting in a small patch of grass. He pick it up and studied it but nothing unusual happened.
When he looked back at the grass he noticed something that looked like a handle. Again curiosity took over and James lifted the handle and found that there was a tunnel after it and followed it. When he reached the end, he stood in shock of what he saw. At the bottom of a pit underground lay a grand city with walls as tall as the tallest of the buildings in his hometown with towers that were so tall that they almost touched the top of this grand cavern. After admiring the city for some time, he realized how thirsty he was and decided to try to find a way down to the city.

Chapter 2
The City

After searching for a while James found a path winding along the side of the pit down to the city. At the bottom of the path he saw the city gates, they appeared to be just as strong and oppressing as the rest of the wall. When James walked up to the gate it opened suddenly and he walked in.
James now was really thirsty and went about trying to find a restaurant. When he couldn’t find one, he decided to ask one of the many people walking the streets. James found a person and asked where the nearest restaurant was. The man looked at him weird and said that he didn’t know what a restaurant was but that the have many inns around the city. James figured that that was his best option and asked the man for directions to the nearest inn.
So James then followed the man’s directions to the nearest inn and the inn was called ‘The Queen’s Jester’.
After sitting down at a table James ordered a drink. When the drink came he had to pay for it so he looked in his pocket found two dollars and gave it to the waitress. Instead of walking away the waitress said, “What is this?” James looked at her confused and replied, “I don’t understand what’s the problem?” The waitress who he could tell was getting angry said, “You can’t pay with paper!” Now James who was getting frustrated yelled, “What else am I supposed to be paying with!” The waitress stormed off to get the soldiers and James decided he should leave.

Chapter 3
The Soldiers

After leaving the Inn, James was walking when he heard a shout behind him and James turned. The soldiers that he had seen walking out of the city were behind him and pointing in his direction. The soldiers started running at him, and James realized that they were running after him! James turned and ran. When he rounded a corner a different group of soldiers were right there and joined the chase. James then realized that he was not safe inside the city, so he made for the gates leading out of the city.
When he reached the gates he ran out and started sprinting up the path when an arrow flew into the wall in front of him, and he stopped and turned. When he turned he saw a regiment storming up the path towards him, he also saw archers on the wall aiming at him. Very quickly he was surrounded and put in shackles.
Suddenly the soldiers parted and a person walked up. James assumed that the person was the commander of the army. The commander waked up to James and punched him in the stomach, and James crumpled to the ground in pain. Then the commander spoke in a disgusted voice and said, “Take this scum to the prison where he will await for his trial for trespassing and stealing.” The commander walked away and James was blindfolded and forced to walk.
James was thrown in a dank, dark cell. After what James thought was about three hours (he couldn’t be sure because he couldn’t see the sun), some soldiers came to take him to his trial. Again he was blindfolded, and when the blindfold was removed he was standing in a room with ceilings that were at least three stories high and draperies that could keep a person out of poverty for the rest of their life. Then his eyes fell upon a throne that looked to be solid gold. After James was done gawking he saw the man that sat upon the throne.
The man stared at James as though he was looking through him into his soul. The man (which James decided was some sort of king) just stared at him for a moment then he spoke, “So you’re the stranger that “wandered” into our secure city?” James just stood there not knowing what to do or say. Suddenly the king bellowed, “ANSWER ME!” James jumped at the sudden yell and quickly answered yes to avoid another fierce shouting. “Good.” ,the king said, “You have a choice, you can stay in the city for as long as you live or you can be put to death.” James replied, “I will stay in the city your Majesty.” He had given his choice quickly as not to make the king yell again. “You have chosen wisely you are free to go.”

Chapter 4
Back to the City

After leaving the palace James decided to go find a place to lay low for a while (he was still thirsty). He found a quiet alley with water dripping from the roof of the building. He drank his fill and waited until the streets were beginning to empty before wandering. James had no intention of staying in the city and was on his way to the gate. When he reached the gate James peeked around the corner and saw soldiers walking along the base of the wall and when he looked at the top of the wall there were soldiers there too. When the soldiers moved away from the path James set out stealthily along the path to the surface when a soldier raised the alarm. James forgot all attempts at stealth and ran along the path as fast as he could. As he ran arrows started whizzing past he saw the door and dived for it and made it. When he looked back he saw an arrow implanted right where his head would have been if he had kept running. James got up and started running away from the city in the ground.

Chapter 5
Across the Desert

James went through the trap door and stopped to catch his breath. While he was catching his breath his saw something shiny. It was the orb! James picked it up and looked at it but it didn’t grow hot. James put it in his pocket and started across the desert.
James was thirsty to begin with but now that he was walking across a desert he needed a source of water fast. James was looking out for a water source but didn’t see one so he kept moving.
It was beginning to get dark so James found a place that was out of the scorching desert wind and laid down to rest.
When James woke up he got up and looked around. He thought he saw a skyline of a city or at least a large town. James started to head for the city.
As he walked the city did not seem to get any closer but James knew that it was his only shot at survival.
On his second day in the desert James finally made it to the city. Weak from dehydration and starvation James fell to his knees just at the gates to the city. He couldn’t fight any longer and the world was swallowed by blackness.

Chapter 6
The High Lord
James awakened and saw that he was in what looked to be a sandstone house. He tried to sit up but his head started spinning. James craned his neck to try and see what was in this house. He couldn’t. He was about to try again when he heard a door open and looked to see who was coming in.
The man that came in had a powerful aura that marked that he was used to command. He wore colorful robes that looked expensive. So James decided that he was the king or leader of this city. The man walked up to the bed James was lying on. “Why don’t you get up and stretch? You have been lying there for almost a week.” He spoke softly but he said it in a way that made it sound like a command to get up.
James got up slowly so his head didn’t hurt. He swung his legs off the side of the bed and stood up but almost immediately fell back on the bed. The man gave a chuckle and said, “You can put some more effort in it can’t you or are you just another weakling?”
James was already frustrated and that put him over the edge and he jumped up and lunged at the man. The man just smirked and dodged easily causing James to stumble and fall. “You have spirit.” ,the man said. “You aren’t a weak child after all. Come with me.” ,he said as he walked out the door. James scrambled up to his feet and followed the man out the door.

Chapter 7
The Legend

Once James caught up to the man he said, “I am Shin-Lan High Lord of the King’s Court, second to the King.” James shook his hand but said nothing. Shin-Lan gave him a look but continued saying, “We have a prophecy in this city.” James looked at him and said, “And what would that be?” “It is that one day a man will come from across the desert and lead us into great victory against the evil King of the city of Trelm.”
James looked at him and asked, “Do you think that I am the one?” James asked. Shin-Lan looked at him and said, “Perhaps. If you prove yourself.” James thought for a second then asked, “What do I have to do?” Shin-Lan smiled and said, “Follow me.” and walked away.

Chapter 8
The Fulfillment

When James caught up to Shin-Lan for the second time in almost that many minutes he pulled out the orb and asked Shin-Lan, “Is this part of the trials?” Shin-Lan gasped and took a step back. He had a look of a mixture of fear, admiration, and relief. After a moment he regained his composure and said, “The legend is true you are the one to lead us to victory. We must go to the King and tell him the good news!”

Chapter 9
The Agreement

Shin-Lan lead him to a rather plain looking castle and brought him to the King’s Hall. On the way to the Hall James looked around and noticed that the walls were unadorned unlike the other palace he had been in a couple of days ago. When they reached a big set of thick doors Shin-Lan opened the door and guided James in front of a throne that matched the rest of the castle.
Shin-Lan kneeled and James did the same. When Shin rose James followed suit and Shin-Lan said, “My King I bring before you the man from the Prophecy.” The king sat forward and said, “If he is the one he should have the Orb.” Shin-Lan pulled out the orb and handed it to James saying, “When you have it in your hand it can become any form you want you just have to think it.” James grabbed it, closed his eyes and thought of having a sword where the orb was.
When he opened his eyes he was amazed to find that where the orb had been was a silver sword and when James thought of it back into an orb it shank back into the orb. James then looked at the King. The King looked back in disbelief and said bowing, “My kingdom is yours to command.” James looked at him then around the room and saw everyone bowing just like the King. James said, “My King you can keep running your kingdom and I will lead your troops against the King of Trelm.

Chapter 10
The March

Shin-Lan lead James out of the hall and down to the armory to get some armour and shield. James picked out his armour and went to talk with the military commanders. When James and Shin-Lan reached the Commander’s quarters. They walked in and the generals all looked up from a war map. When Shin-Lan explained who James was they immediately cleared a spot at the table for him to look at the map. They told James all of the known information about Trelm. James looked at the map for a moment and then said, “I have a plan.”

Chapter 11
The Battle

James peaked over a rise in the sand at the entrance hatch to Trelm. They had put guards at the hatch. James crawled away from the edge and jogged back to the rest of the army of Mal Dera. James looked at his army and nodded signaling the crossbowmen to move to the edge of the rise and take out the guards. A moment later they came back and James signaled some swordsmen to go with the crossbowmen. James grabbed the Orb and willed it into a sword. The crossbowmen went through first with the few swordsmen to protect. James waited a minute then started the armies march down to the city.
James was first down the hatch and when he dropped down he saw the crossbowmen kneeling shooting arrow after arrow. He also  heard the clash of sword on sword. He ran up to the nearest bowman and asked, “What’s going on you were supposed to take them out without any of them noticing.” The bowman answered, “We did but someone saw us and raised the alarm before we could take him out.” James groaned but said, “Just keep the archers off the battlements.”
The man nodded and relayed the order to the rest of the troops and James ran back to the hatch and told the men to get down the hatch faster. They sped up but James knew that the entire army wouldn’t be able to get down to secure the location. He told the men that were already down to come with him to buy the army some time.
James took a deep breath and charged down the path to the city. The soldiers followed suit. Suddenly there were arrows flying all around theme James looked at the source and saw that at the bottom of the gates there was a battalion of soldiers with archers behind them. James heard a yelp behind him and saw one of his soldiers fall bristling with arrows. James knew he had to do something and fast then he thought of the orb. He willed it to become a shield big enough to cover him and the soldiers. The orb stretched and became big enough to cover them. James heard arrows hitting the orb but harmlessly bounce off. James’ squadron reached the gate and chaos erupted.

Chapter 12
Into the City

James and his soldiers fought hard but they were terribly outnumbered. James saw his soldiers fall one by one beside him and before he knew it he was the last man standing. He was surrounded but he didn’t give up. He fought like a demon spinning and whirling around blocking and dodging swords but he couldn’t land a hit on the enemies. All of the sudden the enemy in front of him fell to the ground with arrows in his chest.
James looked over his shoulder and saw the rest of his army charging down the slopes. James had never been so happy to see a group of soldiers running at him. When they reached the enemies they moved through them. James charged into the city with the rest of the army. The battle was going very well, the soldiers had taken the city but there was still the King’s Palace to conquer.
James and the generals met in a plaza in the center of town. James said, “Do you know of any other entrances to the palace?” The generals said no and James started pacing. Then James had an idea. He told it to the generals and they started to tell the troops to prepare for the final assault.

Chapter 13
The Final Assault

James stood at the front of the lines of his army. He looked to his left and saw his crossbowmen lining up on the roofs of houses with their own group of troops. James made a motion signaling the crossbowmen to fire their arrows with hooks at the end. They fired and when the lines grew taught they started their climb to the top of the wall. When they got close to the top of the wall James sent his army into a charge at the front gates for the final assault.
James’ army reached the gates to the palace with their battering ram in front. It took a few tries but eventually they broke open the doors. James ran in and his army followed but they were met with almost all of the Army of Trelm. no wonder it was so easy. James kept charging forward slashing through enemies to get to the door to the king. He kept running but was increasingly slowed down by the swaths of enemy soldiers.
James knew that there were more Mal Dera soldiers that of Trelm, but the trelm soldiers were better trained. James looked back at his army and saw many of them falling for every few that fell for Trelm. James was going to have to get to the king faster than ever, but James didn’t know how. Suddenly two of the generals cut down the soldier next to James and yelled over the din, “Follow us!” James and the generals fought their way to the door to the palace and made it in.
James and the generals were running to the King’s Hall when three royal guards ran around the corner. The general’s quickly rushed to intercept them. James tried to help them but they yelled at him, “Go we’ll hold them off!” James turned and ran to the Hall. When he stepped in he saw the king and four royal guards. James said to the king, “It’s over. We have won, my soldiers are capturing yours as we speak.”
The King laughed and said, “Do you think you have won when I have you captured?” James suddenly realised the trap he had stepped into. Royal guards stepped out from behind the pillars of the hall. James said, “Do you think that capturing me will change anything? My army will keep fighting even if you kill me.” The king smirked, “Are you sure?” James rushed at the king with his sword at the ready but the guards intercepted him before he could reach him. James fought the guards but there were just too many. As they moved closer and James willed the orb back into a ball and he let it roll behind a column where they wouldn’t see it. James then let himself be captured and was chained.

Chapter 14
The Execution

James was dragged to a balcony overlooking the courtyard where the battle was still in progress. James was shoved out and one by one all of the soldiers looked up and saw him standing there. The soldiers of Mal Dera started to cheer but stopped when they saw the King step out after James. It was the soldiers of Trelm to cheer. The King yelled, “Look at your precious leader. He is in chains. Bow before me or he dies!” Slowly his army fell to their knees.
James looked on in horror at the sight before him. He shouted, “Don’t just lay down your swords because I’m in chains. Fight…” Before James could finish his sentence a guard hit him in the head with a heavy wooden club. James’ head lolled but he didn’t fall. James raised his head and looked at his army with a hopeful look but they didn’t move to help. The King smiled and raised his sword to kill James. James who had run out of ideas resorted to plan B. He concentrated on the orb he left in the Hall. He thought of it flying to his hand. A second later the Orb was in his hand  in the shape of a sword. James twisted as the King drove his sword down. The King’s sword sliced through the chains and James sprang up and drove his sword into the King’s heart, but  James didn’t have time to stand there. He dodged a sword and stabbed again. He moved quickly, slicing and dodging.
He finished off all of the royal guards and looked down at his army and the Army of Trelm. He said, “Your king is dead. Swear your allegiance to Mal Dera!” The last of the Army of Trelm knelt.

Chapter 15
The Burying of Trelm

The last of all the citizens of Trelm and soldiers left through the hatch. James stood above the hatch to Trelm. He held the Orb above his head and smashed it to the ground. The Orb hit the ground and shattered releasing all of its energy into the ground. The ground shuddered as all of the rock above Trelm collapsed burying it forever. James stood up and held the shattered Orb in his hand and tossed it into the crater with the rest of Trelm. He walked away without looking back.

Chapter 16
The End

James and the rest of the people returned to Mal Dera as heroes. Almost immediately the masons of Mal Dera and all able bodied people started to gather supplies for houses of the people of Trelm. James was promoted to the King’s Court and the head of the military. James never had any thought of returning to his world, this was where he belonged.