The Effect (part One) | Teen Ink

The Effect (part One)

By Zombie-Babe BRONZE, Wilsonville, Oregon
Zombie-Babe BRONZE, Wilsonville, Oregon

"Just a little case of mood poisoning... Must be something I hate."
"Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor"

Flooring it past deserted cars, the black Cadillac SUV maneuvered through the minefield, careful not to hit any, for fear they would set off a car alarm. The suped-up Caddy had 26 inch spider rims, an arrow snowplow on the front, LS17 2045 Chevy Corvette Stingray motor that roared to life and purred when it drove. Thankfully Jayce and Gracyn were working on this beast of a car before all of this happened. The two were always joined at the hip, knew what the other was going to say and always finished each others sentences perfectly.

"Hey, slow down a little. I see a herd. Com-" Jayce said pointing through his open window, before he was interrupted by Gracyn.

"Hell yeah I'm going!" Gracyn said as he slowed the beast to a stop.

Ash always called Jayce and Gracyn's car The Beast, And it stuck. It stuck so well that it was painted in large white letters along the side of the car. Why you're probably thinking? Well, Jayce and Gracyn loved Ash. They even fought over her. Since the outbreak, they lost Ash. So Jayce thought that if they painted The Beast on the car, and she saw it she would know it's them and go to them. Hopefully.

"For Ash!" Jayce's voice was full of hope. He jumped out of the car and stretched is 6'5", heavily muscled body. He was too small for The Beast.

"I call dibs on the katana!" Gracyn called to Jayce as he climbed out. Gracyn wasn't as big as Jayce, Only standing about 5'9" and not as muscled.

The boys looked at each other over the hood of the car, and suddenly raced to see who could get the katana first. Each throwing the doors open, Gracyn was a little faster than Jayce and snagged the katana before Jayce could even lay eyes on it.

"Oh, c'mon Gracyn! You always get to use the katana," Jayce complained in the best impression he could do of Ash.

They both laughed.

"No, this is my baby, along with The Beast," Gracyn smiled and patted the demon-black paint on the car's flank.

Jayce laughed his good natured laugh. "Our baby, and fine. Take the Katana. It's not like I really wanted it anyways." He picked up a .500 S&W Magnum pistol from the mass of guns scattered on the floor of the car, screwed on a silencer and picked up a full clip and shoved it into place. "Let's go."

While Jayce was putting his gun together, Gracyn was checking out the katana, making sure it was sharp because, nobody wants to do extra work killing one. Looking up when Jayce said "Let's go" Gracyn looked up at the most gruesome part of his friends death.

What he saw was a dead one sinking its disgusting yellow teeth into Jayce's soft flesh of his neck. The dead one pulled and a massive chuck came muscles came with it, blood squirting at Jayce's heartbeat. Jayce was too stunned to scream. Possibly smart too. He knew he was a goner and he decided not to scream. Isn't that nice? Not putting his best friend in more danger than he could get out of?

Gracyn, thinking fast, picked up an already loaded .22 pistol and shot the dead one in the head. Then, he scurried around the black of the car to see Jayce.

"Hey, Bro." He tried to seem calm.

"Do it. Please…" Jayce gasped.

Gulping, Gracyn slowly pointed the gun at Jayce, who was on his back. Taking in a deep breath, found the trigger and pulled it. Straight through the head. It was over. He just killed his best-friend.

Picking up Jayce's .500 Mag and the extra clips, he tossed them into the back of The Beast along with the .22 pistol. Gracyn walked around the back and closed his drivers side passenger door. Then opened the driver's door, climbed in, and slammed it shut. Gracyn could hear the groans of the near-by dead ones.

He didn't care.

Gracyn started up The Beast and drove off. Hitting every dead one he could find out of pure rage and anger. Why? he thought to himself Why Jayce? Why Ash? Why Taylor and all of them? Why did you do this to me?! he snarled the last part out loud. Soon, he realized that Jayce would have never wanted him to go on a killing spree. "Im sorry." He whimpered. "So sorry." He slowed The Beast to a stop, turned it off, and slammed his head on the steering wheel. He reached over and rolled up all the open windows, and for once, allowed himself to cry.

Only after he promised not to tell anyone. If there was anyone left.

Then, a memory came flooding like a storm. It ended 7 years ago.

Darren, his older brother, was 15 then. Gracyn was 12. They were playing a friendly game of monopoly. Still, Gracyn watched Darren's movements because Darren was known to have a bad temper when he lost.

When Gracyn won the game, he celebrated to himself. Darren always won. Gracyn looked up to see that Darren was fuming. He flung the board at Gracyn, Monopoly money flew everywhere. Gracyn was stunned, Darren has never acted this way. Darren took these precious few seconds to stalk around the small table and loom over the small Gracyn.

"I-Im sorry Darren. I didn't mean to," Gracyn stammered.

Darren tightly grabbed gracyn, one hand tightly on his throat, the other on his shoulder. Darren threw Gracyn face first into the hard wood floors. Darren then sat on top of Gracyn, tore his shirt and used it to muffle Gracyn's screams that would be coming.

Daren took out his knife and softly grazed it along Gracyn's bare back. Blood welled up where the blade has ever so lightly cut him."Say, Little Brother,' Darren slapped Gracyn's shoulder, he jerked. "Easy now.' Darren laughed. "how about we play hunter?"

Gracyn was confused at first but then he realized what Darren was planning. He started bucking wildly trying to get the older boy off of him.

Darren continued to laugh. He put the blade on Gracyn's left shoulder blade and brought it down towards his hips. Gracyn screamed as blood freely flowed onto the wood flooring. Darren quickly threw a punch to the side of Gracyn's head, knocking him fuzzy.

"Shut up!" Darren sizzled angrily. Gracyn whimpered.

Darren continued to do his work. HE thrusted the blade under Gracyn's skin where he had cut it.

Gracyn had to bite his tongue to keep from screaming. He thought to himself this is your last day. Enjoy it. He took the chance while Darren was skinning him alive to buck. Surprisingly, Darren flew over his head, the blade clattering out of Darren's reach.

Wincing and pushing out the pain, Gracyn Stood up and picked up the knife.

End of part one.

So I decided to write a zombie story. its about a boy named Gracyn that basically has to face his demons and put away all his fears to save the ones he loves. And even hates.