Characters

Have you ever wondered why your perfect plans are shattered? Why a seemingly perfect romance ended? Why good luck strikes at strange times? Why life seems like a bunch of meaningless chaos?

There is a very simple answer to all of these questions. We were created by an ancient race of aliens and are nothing but characters in their stories, created to alleviate their boredom.

As soon as they are old enough to write, they are given a computer software program and a manual with only the most basic rules of their writing universe. In order to create a new character, they must collaborate with other aliens to make sure two human parents give birth to a child. This child will be under their control from the moment it is born until the moment it dies.

You are always subject to the whims of your creator. Everything you say, everything you do is controlled by them. Usually, the aliens have jotted down things they want to happen during your lifetime. But some aliens detest this and make random decisions as to where your life will go. This is where chaos comes from.

Our planet is relatively new, but the aliens have become bored with it. The best writers among them have declared that the Earth is a cliché, boring universe. They have decided they want to write in a new, more exciting world, so they have taken a special vote. It was this vote that decided how our world will end.

“Why don’t we let a black hole swallow their planet?”

“Nah, we’ve done that already.”

“What if the Earth spontaneously combusts?”

“That’s way too cliché!”

“Okay, why don’t we knock their planet out of orbit and send it crashing into the sun?”

“That’s a stupid idea.”

“Fine. How about we give all their world leaders bad cases of paranoia and see what happens?”

“Sure. Why not?”

And so, our world will not end with a bang, but with slow decay. Our increasingly paranoid world leaders will declare war on each other and humanity will slowly die out. But, since the aliens lost all interest in us, we have gained something we never had before: free will. It is now up to us to decide our fates—and the fate of our planet.

Josie_Jo said...

Oh, haha. This is interesting. :) I love your writing style. You captured my attention from the beginning. I see nothing wrong with this. Your perspective of the world is very unique.

Great job! You have a lot of writing talent within you.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 25, 2011 at 1:43 pm :
Thank you very much! :)

dancemaniac said...
soooo clever! i love your dry humorsprinkled throughout the piece...its exciting, creative, and interesting! Keep writing!!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 23, 2011 at 8:57 pm :
Thanks for commenting! :)

writerfreak21231This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
ONCHOR ONCHOR!!!! Great job!!! :)(:

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 22, 2011 at 6:51 pm :
Thanks!  :)  Did you mean 'encore'?

BreeTayler This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Haha! This is a masterpeice! The theory itself was humorous, but the dry humor that swallowed this passage was completely original! I do believe sarcasm is a writers best friend lol I laughed hard at this one ... Highly creative. And if an idea like this can just pop into your head... I'm jeleous. (never could spell that word) But I LOVED IT, it was terribly entertaining..... And it is now tagged as one of my favorites:)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:10 pm :
Wow, thank you very much for favouriting my story!  :)  I'm glad you enjoyed it.

_Zavery_This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Lol, this is very different. But I love it. I was reading the beginning thinking: Wow, this might be a very well-researched article. But then I read the second paragraph, and I was...surprised. But this is very different and imaginative, five stars!   *****

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:43 pm :
Thank you!  A lot of people have said it's 'different'. :)

_Zavery_This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:44 pm :
Well, we mean it in a good way.   =)  And you replied fast.   XD

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:45 pm :
I'm on lunch break. :)  Then I have to work until suppertime.  I'm not always on Teen Ink!

Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:46 pm :
Ahh, I see.    X)   Well, anyways, nice work.

CallMeMrs.Batman said...
This is an.... interesting... theory. Lol. Great job! Fantastic imagination! haha. :)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 15, 2011 at 10:11 pm :
Um...thanks?  Is interesting code for 'terrible'?

Emily.L said...
I loved this! It actually made me laugh :)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 15, 2011 at 7:16 pm :
Thank you! :)

jessisuarez43This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
wow you have quite the imagination haha. I thought it was well constructed. not my style personally but you can tell it describes you and your personality, which is what writting should do. so job well done.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 15, 2011 at 1:16 pm :
Thank you for taking the time to read it! :)

Emiri replied...
Oct. 10, 2011 at 2:45 pm :

“Sure. Why not?” LOL!

This whole thing made me laugh! I love it! This is great! I can't see anything wrong with out, it's five-star fantastic!