Characters

By CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Have you ever wondered why your perfect plans are shattered? Why a seemingly perfect romance ended? Why good luck strikes at strange times? Why life seems like a bunch of meaningless chaos?

There is a very simple answer to all of these questions. We were created by an ancient race of aliens and are nothing but characters in their stories, created to alleviate their boredom.

As soon as they are old enough to write, they are given a computer software program and a manual with only the most basic rules of their writing universe. In order to create a new character, they must collaborate with other aliens to make sure two human parents give birth to a child. This child will be under their control from the moment it is born until the moment it dies.

You are always subject to the whims of your creator. Everything you say, everything you do is controlled by them. Usually, the aliens have jotted down things they want to happen during your lifetime. But some aliens detest this and make random decisions as to where your life will go. This is where chaos comes from.

Our planet is relatively new, but the aliens have become bored with it. The best writers among them have declared that the Earth is a cliché, boring universe. They have decided they want to write in a new, more exciting world, so they have taken a special vote. It was this vote that decided how our world will end.

“Why don’t we let a black hole swallow their planet?”

“Nah, we’ve done that already.”

“What if the Earth spontaneously combusts?”

“That’s way too cliché!”

“Okay, why don’t we knock their planet out of orbit and send it crashing into the sun?”

“That’s a stupid idea.”

“Fine. How about we give all their world leaders bad cases of paranoia and see what happens?”

“Sure. Why not?”

And so, our world will not end with a bang, but with slow decay. Our increasingly paranoid world leaders will declare war on each other and humanity will slowly die out. But, since the aliens lost all interest in us, we have gained something we never had before: free will. It is now up to us to decide our fates—and the fate of our planet.

This was just a random idea that sprang into my head a few days ago. Feedback is greatly appreciated!

BluBliss GOLD said...
on Oct. 10 2011 at 2:45 pm
BluBliss GOLD, New York, New York

Bella's love for Edward was like, "Omg. He's hot. He's mine because he sparkles. Now I'll brood the wholle book while I'm with him."

“Sure. Why not?” LOL!

This whole thing made me laugh! I love it! This is great! I can't see anything wrong with out, it's five-star fantastic!

on Oct. 10 2011 at 2:39 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you!

on Oct. 10 2011 at 2:35 pm
Smile-And-Wave-Boys. SILVER, Rotherhithe, Other

"Everyone wants to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down."
— Oprah Winfrey

Yeah sure. When I was reading you're story, I at first thought it was going to be quite serious from beginning to end, which doesn't tend to appeal to me, but you balanced it really well by adding funny dialogue. The fact is, I can't give you any critisism because it's pretty much perfect!

on Oct. 9 2011 at 2:55 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks.  But could you please give me more feedback?  Your story is quite long.

on Oct. 9 2011 at 7:45 am

— Oprah Winfrey

Thi is so good-I was captivated from the beginning right till the end! Could you comment/rate my article? Thanks :P

on Oct. 8 2011 at 10:00 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you!  I'll check out your article tomorrow.

on Oct. 8 2011 at 9:49 pm
AlwaysAntlers SILVER, Kingsport, Tennessee

“Don't forget - no one else sees the world the way you do, so no one else can tell the stories that you have to tell.”
― Charles de Lint, (from his book,The Blue Girl)

Sorry, I was in a hurry. I had to rush off to somewhere. I think it's a good article. I've thought of it that way before, but never with aliens! (I think whatever alien is writing my life is a bit of a klutz with the pen.) What I meant about the ending was that it was all hopeful and stuff. I'm glad that they chose not to let a black hole swallow us!! And they're right. Blowing up the earth is cliche.

on Oct. 8 2011 at 2:40 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Sure, I'll check it out.  But could you please give me more detailed feedback?

on Oct. 8 2011 at 7:03 am

This is great. I love the ending!

And now for the self-promoton bit: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE read 'Bunny'. Just click on my screen name and it will show up! Please rate/comment.

on Oct. 4 2011 at 9:09 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for commenting! :)

purpleink GOLD said...
on Oct. 4 2011 at 12:22 pm
purpleink GOLD, Pendleton, Oregon

The early bird gets the worm but the second rat gets the cheese.

There is more to life besides increasing its speed.

Fantastic idea. if you ask me the paranoia is somewhat true though. lol. Enjoyed reading it!

on Oct. 3 2011 at 8:42 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks.  I don't believe what I wrote, so you didn't have to get all preachy with me.  This is fiction for a reason.  Anyway, thank you for the feedback!

on Oct. 3 2011 at 5:35 pm
GzusFreak10 GOLD, Staten Island, New York

This was really good. As a Christian, i hafta say that this isn't exactly what happened, is happening, or will happen, but a lot of the parts are right. Very good work!

(Written as a response to "feedback for feedback")

on Oct. 2 2011 at 9:26 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you so much for the critique, Thorn!  I really appreciate it. :)

Thorn BRONZE said...
on Oct. 2 2011 at 9:20 pm
Thorn BRONZE, Baltimore, Maryland

Hmm...

That was interesting.

I definitely liked it.

There seems to be something missing, though. Try working out transitions. Or maybe if you could make it sound a little more relaxed, like someone just spewing the facts.

"Yeah, well, we're controlled by these bored aliens with nothing better to do. Ironic, huh?"

Right now the whole thing's kinda rigid. If you added a bit more flow and personality, it would add the perfect bit of wit to your cynicism.

Best of luck.

-Thorn

on Oct. 2 2011 at 5:31 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks!  And yes, I'm very cynical.  :)

Steph0804 GOLD said...
on Oct. 1 2011 at 11:34 am
Steph0804 GOLD, Seoul, Other

"Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog: you understand it better, but the frog dies in the process." -E.B. White

I love it! It seems really cynical about the universe and all, but hey, we've all had bad moods. I love the dialogue; it was hilarious!

on Sep. 17 2011 at 1:20 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you!  I didn't want to use italics for the dialogue because they don't show up here on Teen Ink and that would confuse them.  But thanks for the advice!

on Sep. 17 2011 at 1:06 pm
CarsonFaircloth, Nowhere, New Hampshire

Hello! Congratz on winning my contest! :)

I really do love the idea behind this story. There are so many unexplained and random things in life, and sometimes it does seem as if things are out of control. "Fate" has always frightened people, as it was out of their hands. I found it very interesting that you took a new spin of this, and made it not fate that controlled our lives, but other beings writing each and every one of our stories.

As a writer, I find this especially inspiring. After all, I do put my characters through quite a bit. The idea that humans---"writer" humans---could actually be living their lives as characters themselves presents a nice dose of irony!

The one thing I would suggest changing?

When you're writing the dialogue of the other beings, I would suggest taking out the quotations and italic the words instead. Seeing as how you're really only using the dialogue to show how "in control" the other beings are, the dialogue isn't necessary. People will get the same impact---and a greater one---without the quotations.

Either way: wonderful concept!

on Sep. 16 2011 at 12:03 am
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you! :)

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!