Characters

Have you ever wondered why your perfect plans are shattered? Why a seemingly perfect romance ended? Why good luck strikes at strange times? Why life seems like a bunch of meaningless chaos?

There is a very simple answer to all of these questions. We were created by an ancient race of aliens and are nothing but characters in their stories, created to alleviate their boredom.

As soon as they are old enough to write, they are given a computer software program and a manual with only the most basic rules of their writing universe. In order to create a new character, they must collaborate with other aliens to make sure two human parents give birth to a child. This child will be under their control from the moment it is born until the moment it dies.

You are always subject to the whims of your creator. Everything you say, everything you do is controlled by them. Usually, the aliens have jotted down things they want to happen during your lifetime. But some aliens detest this and make random decisions as to where your life will go. This is where chaos comes from.

Our planet is relatively new, but the aliens have become bored with it. The best writers among them have declared that the Earth is a cliché, boring universe. They have decided they want to write in a new, more exciting world, so they have taken a special vote. It was this vote that decided how our world will end.

“Why don’t we let a black hole swallow their planet?”

“Nah, we’ve done that already.”

“What if the Earth spontaneously combusts?”

“That’s way too cliché!”

“Okay, why don’t we knock their planet out of orbit and send it crashing into the sun?”

“That’s a stupid idea.”

“Fine. How about we give all their world leaders bad cases of paranoia and see what happens?”

“Sure. Why not?”

And so, our world will not end with a bang, but with slow decay. Our increasingly paranoid world leaders will declare war on each other and humanity will slowly die out. But, since the aliens lost all interest in us, we have gained something we never had before: free will. It is now up to us to decide our fates—and the fate of our planet.

GzusFreak10 said...

This was really good. As a Christian, i hafta say that this isn't exactly what happened, is happening, or will happen, but a lot of the parts are right. Very good work!

(Written as a response to "feedback for feedback")

GzusFreak10 replied...
Oct. 30, 2011 at 4:27 pm :
@CarrieAnn: I'm sorry if i got preachy. I really didn't mean to. I guess i said it poorly, but i was trying to say how impressed i am by how close you came to what i believe is truth. I'm sorry if i put you on the offensive.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Oct. 30, 2011 at 6:46 pm :

ksaurus200, while I appreciate your support, I would prefer people keep their comments related on my story.

EVERYONE ELSE: This article is not my perspective on what is happening.  It is not intended to belittle your religion and beliefs.  This is fiction, for crying out loud!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Nov. 3, 2011 at 9:05 am :

GzusFreak10: That's okay.  I can tell by your username you are very involved in your faith.  And yes, you did word it a bit poorly.  

But don't worry about it.  Thank you for apologizing.

ThornThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

Hmm...

That was interesting.

I definitely liked it.

There seems to be something missing, though. Try working out transitions. Or maybe if you could make it sound a little more relaxed, like someone just spewing the facts.

"Yeah, well, we're controlled by these bored aliens with nothing better to do. Ironic, huh?"

Right now the whole thing's kinda rigid. If you added a bit more flow and personality, it would add the perfect bit of wit to your cynicism.more »)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Oct. 2, 2011 at 9:26 pm :
Thank you so much for the critique, Thorn!  I really appreciate it. :)

Steph0804 said...
Oct. 1, 2011 at 11:34 am:
I love it! It seems really cynical about the universe and all, but hey, we've all had bad moods. I love the dialogue; it was hilarious!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Oct. 2, 2011 at 5:31 pm :
Thanks!  And yes, I'm very cynical.  :)

CarsonFairclothThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

Hello! Congratz on winning my contest! :)

I really do love the idea behind this story. There are so many unexplained and random things in life, and sometimes it does seem as if things are out of control. "Fate" has always frightened people, as it was out of their hands. I found it very interesting that you took a new spin of this, and made it not fate that controlled our lives, but other beings writing each and every one of our stories.

As a writer, I... (more »)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Sept. 17, 2011 at 1:20 pm :
Thank you!  I didn't want to use italics for the dialogue because they don't show up here on Teen Ink and that would confuse them.  But thanks for the advice!

Pretzel..Dream said...
This is awesome kind of freaky but still awesome!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Sept. 16, 2011 at 12:03 am :
Thank you! :)

julian This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
OMG, I had the same exact idea!! Not about the world ending part, but about our world being created and run by an alien species with high tech computers. This is so weird!! haha, I guess great minds think alike! But anyway, great piece, and great idea. And yeah, it's really weird how similar our ideas are!!!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Sept. 11, 2011 at 5:19 pm :
I guess so! :)

flyingpinkgiraffes This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
that was a great story, totally loved it!  

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Sept. 9, 2011 at 8:01 pm :
Thank you! :)

InsaneKitten said...

I love this idea XD

I'm glad they didn't go with crashing into the sun :D

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Sept. 5, 2011 at 10:07 pm :
Thanks for commenting! :)

ItsAshMal This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
What a fun Idea! It's also a bit creepy, and I think it has the potential to be so interesting. Could you do a follow up sort of thing on this, maybe about the aliens or something?

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 31, 2011 at 4:26 pm :
I could do a follow up, but I don't really want to.  This is going to be a stand-alone.  It's just a random idea I had while I was bored at work! :)

ChocoMint said...
Too cool!  I love the symbolism!  You are a great writer.  Ever considered beginning a novel?  =+)