Opulence: Third Times the Charm

“So, will I learn potions or spells first?” Evan asks.

“Seer affinities are usually moon witches, which means potions. I happen to be a witch of the sun. Still, I have extensively studied potions as well. You will be learning a combination of the two, though mostly potions,” I explain.

“Oh I’m really no good at cooking though,” Evan says, shaking his head vigorously.

“Yes, well there are certain healing potions you’ll learn, along with a few dreaming ones. Those will help you initiate a premonition in your sleep. Of course, most of the training you’ll do on your own, reading books and such,” I continue.

“Great, sounds like fun,” Evan sighs.

I try to be patient and say, “Well, I found the books very interesting while I was learning. Every morning you’ll go to basic lessons with the other apprentices here and combat training. Lessons are split up into a few classes for the different levels. You’ll most likely be in the first level but you’ll be given a placement test in the morning. Mentors take turns teaching the classes so you’ll see me there at times.”

“Then what are you going to teach me?” He asks.

“I’ll teach you after lunch and we’ll work on your magical specialty. That’s really the only area where you need one on one teaching,” I say.

“Well, I guess that’s alright. I’d hate being the only one all the time,” Evan says with a shudder.

“Glad to hear you approve,” I say sarcastically. “Now I should probably introduce you to someone. Come on, I need to get my locating charm for him.”

I lead him to my room and unlock the door, both magically and with the key.

“Well it’s about time. It took you fair decades to get done,” Finley says, the little sprite buzzing around my head as soon as I open the door.

“What are you doing in here?” I ask before looking around.

There, sitting on the middle of my table is a large and rather complex looking doll house. It seems equipped with an indoor pool, greenhouse, garden, tennis court, and little nine hole golf course. There’s a nice patio out in the back with a grill. There appears to be a small steak sizzling on it.

“What is that?” I ask in a tight voice.

“It’s my home of course,” Finley says, sounding proud.

“But what is it doing in my room?”

“Well Walter didn’t see any point in giving me my own set of rooms since I don’t need all that space. He thought it best if I just setup here. Even you have to admit, I don’t take up all that much room,” Finley says.

Evan, getting over the shock somewhat, just says, “Huh, steak. That’s sounds good. How’d you get it that small?”

“You see, my boy, there are many sprite market places within your over-grown ones. There are minimizing spells used to get food to a more compatible size for us. I also keep a little garden. Nothing special, but you know, these days best to go organic. There’s nothing like walking out to your garden and making some nice fresh salsa, picking everything you’d need for it and having grown it yourself,” Finley says.

A little hysterical gasp escapes my mouth. “You’re moving that… mansion. You can live in the office.”

“Bah, I like it here much better. Besides, we finally got all the plumbing worked out. Trust me, you don’t want to have to deal with that again.”

“Uh, maybe I should wait in the hall. Nice to meet you, er, sprite?” Evan says.

“Finley’s the name,” He grins at him before turning to me with a scowl. “I can see you didn’t tell the boy a thing about me. Well, erm… boy, I’m your other trainer.”

“Two trainers?” Evan asks looking a little confused.

“Well, as you can see, Finley is a sprite. The Fey Counsel thought the Organization should get more involved with the other fey races. Therefore Finley and I will be training and teaching you together.”

“So no one else has two trainers?” Evan asks.

“Now, I really do prefer mentor instead of trainer,” Finley says, though we both ignore him.

“No Evan, no one else does,” I tell him.

“You should feel honored. You’re one of a few boys that gets a trainer that’s not a witch,” Finley tells him.

Evan just shakes his head.

“It’s um, not as bad as it looks,” I say lamely.

“Not as bad as it…” Finley says, flying back to land on his roof but misjudging the distance and ending up almost falling with an expressive outburst.

“Fin! Not in front of the kid!”

“Oh, um, crap?” He asks with a sheepish grin. I give him another look and he tries again with, “Fudge?”

“Oh please, like I haven’t heard it all before,” Evan snorts.

“Yes, you’re just so worldly,” I say dryly. “How about we take you to the tailors to get your new clothes, then we’ll have Kate find you someone to give you a tour. In the morning you’ll take a placement test, then meet Fin and I in our office. We’ll give you your schedule.”

“Sounds good. Though I don’t see the point of a placement test. Is there a “zero” place?” Evan asks.

“Bah, witches and all their funny rules. The test doesn’t mean a thing. Just some of these little witches come here knowing some spells and such from their family,” Finley says, giving me a sideways glance.

“Just come on.” I sigh and grumble slightly when Finley perches himself comfortably on my right shoulder after changing form to an angelic looking white kitten.

mudpuppy said...
Jul. 7, 2010 at 2:53 pm:
YOU should post a another installment of this! This is the kinda of stuff that I'm in to. If it were publish I would buy it!

AaronHunter said...
Jun. 28, 2010 at 9:07 pm:
okay, so is Jade a witch of the moon, or a witch of the sun? In the first article she introduced herself as a witch of the moon, at the beginning of this one she told Evan she was a witch of the sun.... Can you shed some light?

AquaGem This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:20 pm :
Sorry about that mistake, I changed details of the story in the novel version I'm writting such as her age. When I add short stories on here I'm taking them from the novel and try to change back details but don't always catch them all. So in the short story I wrote she's a witch of the moon. In the novel she's a witch of the sun. I basically just traded the definitions for them, not her actual "powers".

gymbabe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 24, 2010 at 7:39 am:

This was very good, nicely described.  Great job!  Please write more!

Btw, will you check out and comment on my work?

SilverLuna said...
Jun. 22, 2010 at 3:53 pm:
I like this new entrance, it's fun and lets us see more clearly into this world. I'll be very interested in reading the full novel, lol

skatergirl13 said...
Jun. 15, 2010 at 8:35 am:
The story line was really good but to me it seemed a kinda bording nothing really intresting in it... but still good

Megaphone1927 said...
Jun. 8, 2010 at 10:00 pm:
i have a question for all you writin' folks. how long did it take the editors to read your article and put it on the web? mines takin' forever.

RedFeather replied...
Jan. 18, 2012 at 7:51 am :
It varies. I had a short story that got put up in three days, and one poem took over a month.

cyanidesun said...
May 23, 2010 at 4:31 pm:
I really like the Opulence story line, but I've noticed a few conflicting comments between your articles. In the first article, the main character states she is a "witch of the moon" while in this one she says the opposite, and it also says previously that Evan is protective of his mother, which wouldn't make sense if he hated his family altogether. I'm not sure if you are going to use these three articles consecutively in the full length novel, but in case you do I thou... (more »)

citydancer94This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 17, 2010 at 9:54 pm:
ok, so im guessing (jst a guess) that somewhere near the end or middle of this book, it will slowly turn into a romance.... am i right? no, nevermind. i want to find out for myself, so keep it coming! i love Opulence!!!

Drama_Queen13 said...
May 16, 2010 at 2:28 pm:
I'm a HUGE fan of Opulence! I would wait on line until midnight if this ever became a book, that's how much I love it. I would be so honored if you had time to read Our Summer in the Romance part of the Fiction section. If you don't have time, no biggie. PLEASE WRITE MORE!!!!

^unshed.tears said...
May 13, 2010 at 12:17 pm:
you're a good writer :) you could work on some transitions, but other than that, really good :)

JeanGrey said...
May 10, 2010 at 11:04 pm:
MORE!!! MORE!!! *screams* lol Good! I am a big fan! :)

Zoe_J said...
Really, really, really great! I hope you publish this, because I would be one of the first to buy it when I found out! :)

BermudaFlatt said...
This is so cool!!!! you have GOT to post more!!!!!! i read the very first part around seven times, because I love it so much!!!!!!

francinejar said...
Mar. 11, 2010 at 6:16 pm:
r u published yet. your the best i've read on this site

Drama_Queen13 said...
Mar. 9, 2010 at 8:00 am:
YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!! Thank GOD! I've been dying to read more of this! You're DEFINAITLY my favorite story on here! PLEASE DON'T STOP!!!!!!!

Mar. 10, 2010 at 5:30 pm :
Thank you so much for the support!!

writergirl13 said...
Mar. 7, 2010 at 2:43 pm:
Yay, yay, yay!!! More Opulence!! Are you going to upload more any time soon?

xLoVeLyCuTiEe428x said...
Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:44 pm:
OMG. I would looove to read the entire novel!! That would be amazing!! Please post more while you write the novel.