Opulence: Third Times the Charm

“So, will I learn potions or spells first?” Evan asks.

“Seer affinities are usually moon witches, which means potions. I happen to be a witch of the sun. Still, I have extensively studied potions as well. You will be learning a combination of the two, though mostly potions,” I explain.

“Oh I’m really no good at cooking though,” Evan says, shaking his head vigorously.

“Yes, well there are certain healing potions you’ll learn, along with a few dreaming ones. Those will help you initiate a premonition in your sleep. Of course, most of the training you’ll do on your own, reading books and such,” I continue.

“Great, sounds like fun,” Evan sighs.

I try to be patient and say, “Well, I found the books very interesting while I was learning. Every morning you’ll go to basic lessons with the other apprentices here and combat training. Lessons are split up into a few classes for the different levels. You’ll most likely be in the first level but you’ll be given a placement test in the morning. Mentors take turns teaching the classes so you’ll see me there at times.”

“Then what are you going to teach me?” He asks.

“I’ll teach you after lunch and we’ll work on your magical specialty. That’s really the only area where you need one on one teaching,” I say.

“Well, I guess that’s alright. I’d hate being the only one all the time,” Evan says with a shudder.

“Glad to hear you approve,” I say sarcastically. “Now I should probably introduce you to someone. Come on, I need to get my locating charm for him.”

I lead him to my room and unlock the door, both magically and with the key.

“Well it’s about time. It took you fair decades to get done,” Finley says, the little sprite buzzing around my head as soon as I open the door.

“What are you doing in here?” I ask before looking around.

There, sitting on the middle of my table is a large and rather complex looking doll house. It seems equipped with an indoor pool, greenhouse, garden, tennis court, and little nine hole golf course. There’s a nice patio out in the back with a grill. There appears to be a small steak sizzling on it.

“What is that?” I ask in a tight voice.

“It’s my home of course,” Finley says, sounding proud.

“But what is it doing in my room?”

“Well Walter didn’t see any point in giving me my own set of rooms since I don’t need all that space. He thought it best if I just setup here. Even you have to admit, I don’t take up all that much room,” Finley says.

Evan, getting over the shock somewhat, just says, “Huh, steak. That’s sounds good. How’d you get it that small?”

“You see, my boy, there are many sprite market places within your over-grown ones. There are minimizing spells used to get food to a more compatible size for us. I also keep a little garden. Nothing special, but you know, these days best to go organic. There’s nothing like walking out to your garden and making some nice fresh salsa, picking everything you’d need for it and having grown it yourself,” Finley says.

A little hysterical gasp escapes my mouth. “You’re moving that… mansion. You can live in the office.”

“Bah, I like it here much better. Besides, we finally got all the plumbing worked out. Trust me, you don’t want to have to deal with that again.”

“Uh, maybe I should wait in the hall. Nice to meet you, er, sprite?” Evan says.

“Finley’s the name,” He grins at him before turning to me with a scowl. “I can see you didn’t tell the boy a thing about me. Well, erm… boy, I’m your other trainer.”

“Two trainers?” Evan asks looking a little confused.

“Well, as you can see, Finley is a sprite. The Fey Counsel thought the Organization should get more involved with the other fey races. Therefore Finley and I will be training and teaching you together.”

“So no one else has two trainers?” Evan asks.

“Now, I really do prefer mentor instead of trainer,” Finley says, though we both ignore him.

“No Evan, no one else does,” I tell him.

“You should feel honored. You’re one of a few boys that gets a trainer that’s not a witch,” Finley tells him.

Evan just shakes his head.

“It’s um, not as bad as it looks,” I say lamely.

“Not as bad as it…” Finley says, flying back to land on his roof but misjudging the distance and ending up almost falling with an expressive outburst.

“Fin! Not in front of the kid!”

“Oh, um, crap?” He asks with a sheepish grin. I give him another look and he tries again with, “Fudge?”

“Oh please, like I haven’t heard it all before,” Evan snorts.

“Yes, you’re just so worldly,” I say dryly. “How about we take you to the tailors to get your new clothes, then we’ll have Kate find you someone to give you a tour. In the morning you’ll take a placement test, then meet Fin and I in our office. We’ll give you your schedule.”

“Sounds good. Though I don’t see the point of a placement test. Is there a “zero” place?” Evan asks.

“Bah, witches and all their funny rules. The test doesn’t mean a thing. Just some of these little witches come here knowing some spells and such from their family,” Finley says, giving me a sideways glance.

“Just come on.” I sigh and grumble slightly when Finley perches himself comfortably on my right shoulder after changing form to an angelic looking white kitten.

SomeOne said...
Evan seems to be slightly spoiled, and thinks she knows it all.

geekychick25 said...
Dec. 8, 2010 at 9:11 am
I have to say that the Fey reminds me of the daemons from His Dark Materials...

GoForGold said...

I love Opulence, it's the best story I've ever read not published (no offense to any of my friends).  I also love Storm.

However, I was wondering... What is the difference between a moon witch and a sun witch?  The first Opulence says moon is spells and sun is potions, and Jade is a moon witch.  The third Opulence says moon is potions, sun is spells and Jade is a sun witch.  Which one is it?

PaintedRocks This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 26, 2010 at 10:35 am
I was wondering the same. In both she deals more with spells, but which is right? #1 or #3? Other than that though, Opulence is amazing so far!! 

sunshine04 replied...
Mar. 16, 2011 at 8:44 am

i was wondering the same if you figure out please tell 

but opulence rocks

it has been a long time since i read such nice piece

CaeCae97 replied...
That part is confusing, but I love the story so far.

sunshine04 replied...
Oct. 21, 2011 at 1:05 am
i want more of it sequels

Nannabanana22 said...
I like this!! i mean it sooo nice to read something that has nothing to do w/vampires for once!!!!!

GoForGold replied...
Oct. 20, 2010 at 5:33 am
I totally agree!

Nannabanana22 replied...
Im surprised no ones chewed my out for it haha but i do like twilight this is just like a break from it haha

RedFeather replied...
Jan. 18, 2012 at 7:48 am
I agree. I love the fantasy and magic themed-stories, but they're all centering around vampires now for some reason. Yes I like vampires, but even I'm starting to get tired of all the Twilight and vampires everywhere. Go witches!

HappyHippo said...
I know eveyone has been telling you this in your comments but when/if you ever publish this, e-mail me!

stargirl1215 replied...
i love this story as much as i loved the other two you are a great writter

Halfing_Scribe said...
This is really good, keep up the good work!

Singinstar said...
i really hope you continue this story! if u get it published ill definitely read it!

DeDeKiller27 said...
Sept. 15, 2010 at 11:31 am
I've read this whole mini saga and I love it. When you get it published as a book I definitly want an e-mail. This willl be a great book =)

VampireX said...
Sept. 14, 2010 at 9:25 am
nice. thanks for not forgeting the Fey.

Lorelei said...
Sept. 3, 2010 at 8:41 am
when are you writing more?

iluvnachoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I love all three of the chapters! it's wonderful! but i just have one question. what exactly is Finley?

copper~lemon~dropThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I can't wait for more, this is an absolutely stunning story!