Red String of Fate | Teen Ink

Red String of Fate

June 15, 2016
By OliviaC SILVER, Wyckoff, New Jersey
OliviaC SILVER, Wyckoff, New Jersey
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Red strings of fate were said to bind a person to their destined soulmate. They could only be broken by death itself. How romantic. These threads were invisible to the average person. It was better off that way. He could only think of how lackluster and boring life would be if everyone had his ability, to automatically know who they were meant to be with. Never would he be able to observe with amusement as girls chased after boys whose threads traveled somewhere far into the distance or the two people who raised their fists in anger at what the other had said, the red ribbon connecting their clenched hands.
He did admit that he preferred to sit quietly off to the side of the room and observe; observe all of the people carrying on with their daily lives without truly comprehending what the future held for them.
  Although he observed so many, there was one pair in particular that never failed to entertain him. The  two of them had gone to separate elementary schools, and he could say that their first meeting was fairly odd. He recalled that it was a cold winter day, during their first year of middle school. He had been outside of the school, where they were made to wait until a certain time before being allowed into the building. As usual, he was one of the first students there. He stood away from the few students scattered in the small area, simply choosing to observe yet again.
He noticed that one of his classmates was sprinting towards them, weaving his way through parked cars, undoubtedly overly eager to see his friends after the weekend. The unstoppable force had looked to the side for a split second, and in that moment of distraction had failed to notice the door of the car opening directly in his path. By the time he turned his attention forward, it was already too late.
With a loud crash that he could hear even with the distance between him and the pair, the boy had run directly into the unmovable object that was the car door. The boy was knocked to the ground and sat quietly for a second, processing his clumsiness, before quickly standing up. He put on an air of mock confidence and said to the passenger of the car, “Sorry about that. I wasn’t watching where I was going. My bad.” The other person hadn’t responded, most likely still in shock over what had transpired. He heard a faint noise coming from the other person, and strained his ears to hear it. Laughter. The passenger finally shifted out of their seat and stood before slamming the door shut. They had faced each other and the girl had said mockingly, “Can you handle crossing the rest of the street then? Maybe you need someone to walk you across!”
The boy turned a light shade of pink before working up his confidence and responding with a slick, “Maybe I do.” He had noticed with a start the familiar red ribbon connecting the pair’s pinky fingers together as the two coyly smiled at each other and walked towards the enclosed space from which he had been watching the scene unfold.
That had been about four years ago, if he remembered correctly. After that meeting, he watched them grow as people and noticed that their relationship developed to the point where they were practically inseparable. Of course, if someone were to mention this to either one of them, they would vehemently deny that they were that close. But no one failed to notice the red hue that colored their faces whenever anyone brought up the possibility that they might be more than friends. Everyone knew they were meant to be together, him more so than anyone else. Everyday, he looked forward to more of their dishonest and amusing antics.
But still, it was a different kind of day that remained in his mind. School had just ended and students raced through the corridors, eager to leave the building to greet their friends, reminding him of that fateful day his most entertaining pairing had met. Feeling nostalgic, he searched for them in the sea of students once he had finally escaped the confines of the building. He finally managed to spot them and witnessed one of them climbing into the passenger seat of a car, seemingly driven by another one their friends. The other half of the pair stood on the sidewalk nearby. The car door slammed shut, and he watched as the car began to slowly pull away from the school. As it did so, the passenger stuck their hand and head out of the window, waving to the friend still standing on the concrete path. After a moment, the wave was returned, accompanied by a prominent blush and an aversion of eyes. He had let out a small chuckle and turned his eyes away momentarily, only to have them flit back, wide and focused. 
He realized, no it had not been his imagination at all. He dropped his books, suddenly lacking the strength to carry them despite their light weight. As the car sped up and disappeared around the bend of the street that led to their school, he fell to his knees as oblivious students swarmed around him. Oh, how he wished he had never seen this encounter, only to realize that the red string that had bound their fates together had been permanently cut.