Finding happiness and heartbreak | Teen Ink

Finding happiness and heartbreak

August 26, 2013
By glennda95 BRONZE, San Diego, Texas
glennda95 BRONZE, San Diego, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
The beautiful thing about learning is that nobody can take it away from you.


When everything seems perfect life has a way of knocking your world upside down. At times I question whether I’m paying for something I did, in this life or another before. My whole life has been dark and sad. Smiling had become a chore for me, being happy seemed impossible. I had gotten used to it; I had learned how to accept my sadness. I told myself it was who I was. I was alone in a hole for as long as I can remember, up until 4 years ago, when I met him. I was in my own dark world when I got a call. His voice was perfect. I fell in love with the voice over the phone; I was quite heartbroken by the thought that it was the wrong number. It wasn’t, I learned after a few minutes that I had been set up for a blind date. After that call we were crazy for each other. We talked for hours about everything possible. We were young and in love, we didn’t care who questioned our love. We knew what we had was special. He became my everything, my world. My life was him. We talked about our future together, I never doubted our plans. I knew in my heart and mind we were for each other. We visioned our lives 10 years ahead, it looked wonderful. My life had changed the second I heard his voice. For once I had something worth living for. I learned what it meant to be happy. After four amazing years my life was once again shattered by four small words. ”I have to move” he told me while we held one another. His father was offered a better job. I still remember the look on his face. The pain in his eyes broke my heart into countless little pieces. I put my pain aside and told him it would be okay. I was dying inside but I couldn't let him see that. I tried my best to stop his tears from rolling down his cheek by reassuring him that our plans would happen. I didn't want to look at him. How could I look at the person I love knowing it was going to be the last time. How do I look into his eyes knowing it was the last time I was going to see my reflection in them and pretend I was okay. I managed to for him. Three days later he was gone. Out of my life, 5000 miles away from me. I was left alone dealing with the realization that we were no longer going to look into each other’s eyes, or hold hands, feel his warmth when he hugged me tight and spun me around till we were dizzy. It has been two years since he had to move, we talk as much as we can. My family calls it young love and tells me it’s over between us because he is so far from me. That I can still reminisce but I had to move on eventually. I have faith and I believe we will be together again. I am living my life but he will always be in my heart. Nothing or anyone will ever change that. If our dreams of being together don’t come true I won’t be mad I will just accept destiny. Until then I will hold on to our memories and live my life.


The author's comments:
A relationship that ended when me and my first love were separated inspired me to write this short story. I wanted to share with other teens my story how i remained strong and i hope to inspire others to stay strong in situations like this.