Nocturne | Teen Ink

Nocturne

By DearestBink SILVER, Somewhere, Arizona
DearestBink SILVER, Somewhere, Arizona

The blackening sky loomed ominously overhead. It became this vast expanse that enveloped all living things within its reach. Small, twinkling lights floated like orbs, illuminating the darkness with the slightest of light. The noises of night echoed eerily, never really beginning but never ending. A symphony of sounds resonated in the ears of the young girl sitting in the rustling grass. Her hands swept over each blade, reveling in the perfection of each singular piece. Her thoughts were turned to the beauty of the small creations that she was able to appreciate every day. And she wouldn’t have to appreciate them alone. The young girl’s eyes moved slowly but surely to the figure next to her. A young man sat ridiculously still in the wide field. His darkened eyes were straight forward, his large, callused hands near his side. The young girl lifted her own delicate hand and placed it over his. She could feel a shiver course through the young man and then felt one run down her own spine. No words were spoken but thoughts were shared and understood. For the first time, the young man’s eyes focused on something other than the broad nothingness in front of him. He met the expectant gaze of the beautiful young girl next to him. Her eyes shone brighter than any of the stars could ever dream of being. It almost brought him to tears to see the pure happiness and love that were evident in her eyes. He counted himself lucky that he had been allowed to sit in the presence of such radiance. Her lips turned into a stunning smile while she moved her other hand to his rough cheek. Her gaze never once broke with his as she brought his face closer to hers. In mere moments, the young man could feel her sweet breath on his lips. He closed his heavy eyes and allowed himself to simply feel. The closeness made his heart sputtered madly. He knew, however, that her heart was acting the same way. The young girl closed the distance between the two faces and deeply kissed the young man. An array of euphoric emotions ran through her entire body as she willed herself to form into the young man. And as simply and perfectly the kiss had begun, it ended as such. Again, no words needed to be exchanged. Their eyes spoke for them. The young girl stared intently up at the twinkling lights and spoke softly to the young man.

“Can you believe we get to share this? Just look at the stars. There are so many in just this small part of this broad expanse. How can anyone stare up at them and not gasp at their beauty? How can any human merely being look up and not realize the worth of not only this universe but of themselves? How can someone not want to share this experience with another?” she whispered tenderly.

“Well, I can’t speak for anyone but myself. But I know that I wouldn’t dream of ever missing this. To have you, to hold you, to see the perfection of these nights. To be a part of something so stunning. And to share this with those I love more than most deem possible.”

The young girl sighed and leaned her fragile frame into the young man. His arms almost automatically wrapped her into a protective embrace, guarding her from any unseen evils that could be lurking in the seemingly innocent night. A small movement came from the young girl’s stomach that made the young man jump and then smile widely. He returned his callused hand to the tender spot on her body that had been the source of the movement. A slight bump had begun to grow and the evidence of new life was slowly beginning to form. The young girl pressed her hand into the young man’s. Her face grew bright with absolute joy. She could feel the small being inside her move ever so slightly. She lifted her chin to look at the young man.

“Can you believe we’ll get to share these nights with the little one?” she asked, a smile evident in her voice.

“It’s only a matter of time,” the young man replied.

“The little one is ours,” the young girl stated, proud of what she was able to say. “Our own perfect creation.”

“Yes,” he said simply, “ours.”

“Are you ready?” she asked warily, not quite sure if she was prepared for the answer.

“As long as I have you, I will be fine. Together, we’ll make this work.”

“Our little one,” the young girl repeated.

“Our baby,” the young man sighed.

“I love you,” said the girl simply.

“And I love you,” the young man replied.

Her hands swept over the larger hand on her stomach. The young girl smiled as she fell silently asleep with thoughts her love and her little one. The young man, keeping watch over his one true joy, reveled in the perfection of the life that he had the privilege of living..

The blackening sky loomed ominously overhead. It became this vast expanse that enveloped all living things within its reach. Small, twinkling lights floated like orbs, illuminating the darkness with the slightest of light. The noises of night echoed eerily, never really beginning but never ending. A symphony of sounds resonated in the ears of the young girl and her love sleeping in the rustling grass.

Fine.

The title of this piece is actually the same as a song I sang in an honor choir. I'm not exactly sure how it inspired this piece but it did nonetheless.

When beauty is shared with the one you love, doesn't it just become even more beautiful?