Loves Call - The Beginning | Teen Ink

Loves Call - The Beginning

By distant_dreamer GOLD, Belmont, New Hampshire
distant_dreamer GOLD, Belmont, New Hampshire

"Life's a climb, but the view is great!"

“Do you David, take this woman to be your wife to have and to hold from this day forward, till death do you part?”
“I do.”
“And do you Brook, take this man to be your husband to have and to hold from this day forward, till death do you part?”
“I do.”
“I now pronounce you man and wife.” “David, you may kiss your bride!”
This was both the happiest and saddest day of my entire life.The happiest because my high school sweetheart became my husband and the saddest, because he is leaving off to war in 5 days.

When the reception was over, the couple went into the suite that they were staying at for their honeymoon, but Brook had a sick look to her, like she was keeping all her mixed emotion locked deep inside her heart.
“Honey, will I ever see you again after you leave to war?”
Brook said in a choked down sob.
“Of course you will, I give my word that I will come home safe and sound! I will walk up this dirt driveway with my arms opened wide, and a kiss just waiting to be given!” As David gave Brook a reassuring smile and kiss, she still couldn’t really accept the fact of him not being by her side for a whole year.
David looked over at his beautiful wife, and noticed that a silent tear was rolling down her cheek.

“Hear, I meant to give you this at the reception, but your Aunt Pearl wouldn’t let me out of her sight!” David said in a playful tone. As Brook opened the tiny silk box, a look of excitement, and gratitude spread over her face. There in her hand was a solid gold locket with a delicate pink rose outlining the sparkling rim.
“Oh David, it’s Beautiful!”
“Brook, look on the inside.” David said with a glowing face. In tiny sparkling words was the inscription ‘I love you’, and a picture of them both.
“David, I will wear it every day, so that way, you won’t seem so far away!” That night Brook went to sleep happy, and content. Three days later, sorrow began to pierce the aching hearts of both David and Brook as they said their goodbyes at the train station.

“I’ll write you every day!” Brook said as her trembling hands held the rough arms of her spouse. “And I’ll write back too, and I will always look at this every time I start to miss you.” David said as he took out a picture of Brook smiling, sweetly at him. “Brook, when I come home, I promise that you and I will travel the world together, and we’ll watch our kids and our grandchildren grow up brave and strong…just like you!”
“Oh David, I can’t let you leave, not now… please, stay…I think my heart will break without you!”
“Brook…I…”
“Sir, the train is leaving, please get on.”
Brook studied his features for the last time, and something in her heart wanted to just go with him, but she knew that couldn’t happen. David got on the train, and with as a tear of agony rolled down his cheek, he said to her, “Brook, remember this, I love you, and I always will!”
“David! No! Don’t leave, please!!” That moment as Brook watched her husband leave the station, she felt herself crumble to the ground, and all her emotions that were inside just spilt out all at once. “Why….why did they have to pick him? Why now?” “David, please come back!!”

A few moments later, a young man about 23, or 25 came softly up to the grieving woman.
“Excuse me, miss, are you alright?” Brook ignored the voice, and continued to sob her heart out on the station’s platform. “Do you want me to take you home?” The man asked. “No, all I want is my husband back next to me!”
“Miss, I know this is a hard time for you, but you need to be strong for your husband, he didn’t want to leave either.”
“Than why did he…huh, why didn’t he just stay home with me?” Brook said in a confused and angry tone.
“He didn’t have a choice miss; he had to obey the law.” The young man said, as he knelt down beside Brook and tried to comfort her.
“Don’t touch me!” Brook snapped. “Does the law say that a man has to go off to war five days after he’s married?”
“Well, no miss, but…”
“But what?” Brook asked.
“But it is his duty to his country.” The man said softly.
“Well what about his duty to his wife?” “Doesn’t that come first?” Brook said, as she looked up into the face of the man.
“Miss, if you just let me, I can take you home.”
“No, just leave!” A few moments after the man left, Brook softly got up, and headed home.

It was a long night for Brook as she stared at her bedroom ceiling with thoughts racing in and out of her mind. “Will he ever make it home safe?” “What will happen to me if he dies over there?” “What if he gets transferred to a dangerous spot?” As Brook’s heart started to race, she felt the coldness of the locket dangling on her chest. She picked it up in her hand and slowly opened it to read the sweet message, and to see the face of the one she loved dearly.

Sleep seemed to escape the tear stained eyes of Brook that night.

Sunnnnnnyday said...
on Apr. 8 2011 at 9:59 am
I really liked this. You've put yourself in the shoes of many women out there all around the world, and have expressed their feelings the way they felt them. Though a depressing story, a moving one as well.