We Are Meant To Be | Teen Ink

We Are Meant To Be

June 8, 2010
By Morgan Beck BRONZE, South Burlington Vermont, Vermont
Morgan Beck BRONZE, South Burlington Vermont, Vermont
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

His name is Brad. He is my best friend. He has been since the 4th grade, when I moved to Vermont. He was in my class. The teachers name was Mrs. Lucy was her name. He was the popular one, the one everyone knew and liked. I was the quiet book worm; no one ever paid any attention to me. The first day I rode the bus was when I first met him. He had dirty blonde hair and blue eyes. He had the best smile, too. He sat next to me. Of course I was reading a book; I believe I was reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Well, he sat next to me on the bus and said, “Hi, my name is Brad. I think I’ve read that book before.” I didn’t know how to respond. I just looked at him surprised, Brad Higgins was talking to me without being told to. I shut my book and just smiled at him. I had the biggest goofiest smile ever.
“So, what is your name?”
“Hahaha!” I laughed ridiculously. “Nicole.” I looked away out my window, I was really embarrassed and I don’t know why.
“Oh, cool. I like the name Nicole.” We talked the whole bus ride.
Before you know it, we were talking every day on the bus and sitting next to each other. Then, we began sitting next to each other in school and hanging out. Soon, he was one of the only people I felt comfortable around. When we reached Middle School he started going out with one of the meanest people in the whole school. She always made fun of everyone and talked to them like they were her servants or something. Her name was Caroline. No one liked her. The only people that were around her were people who were afraid of her. She was of course pretty and smart and tall and skinny. But, when I heard Brad was going out with her I suddenly felt my heart drop a hundred stories. I went home and cried on my bed for a little while. I didn’t know why, I guess it was because I hated her and she was so nasty or maybe because I thought Brad wouldn’t want to hang out with me anymore. But, I didn’t know.
My sister Macy was 17 at that time. She came in and sat on my bed to talk to me.
“Why do I feel this way, Macy? I don’t want to, I want to stop but for some reason I just can’t”
“It’s alright. Did you ever think that maybe you have a crush on him?” I had never thought of that. When Macy left my room I got up and looked in my mirror. And, I suddenly realized that I love Brad Higgins.
Brad and Caroline lasted about a year. I never told him how I felt. I just couldn’t get up the courage and it seemed like he loved Caroline. I don’t know how, but that’s how it seemed. Brad and I always walked home after school together when our parents began to let us stop riding the bus. We talked about everything.
It was the middle of tenth grade. Brad asked out a new girl. She was new to our school. Her name was Kasey. For some reason she didn’t like me. I never even talked to her but when I was hanging out with her and Brad, she always gave me these little looks. So that night I went home early and never hung out with both of them at the same time again.
I remember the day Brad told me how he caught Kasey and Tyler his teammate from the football team kissing in the locker room. He was devastated. It was the same day as our prom.
“I can’t believe this; I don’t know what to do!” He said angrily to me as we were walking up to my room so we could sit on my bed and talk about it.
“Well, did you say anything to her?” I asked as we sat on my bed.
“Yeah, she said that it has been going on for a while and, she wants to be with him.”
“I’m so sorry Brad.” He looked up in to my eyes and there was a silence for a few seconds. It was a nice silence.
“Well, I’d better get going, I have to get ready tonight. I’m still going to have a good night with no drama. I’m sick of it.” Brad said picking up his coat and beginning to walk out the door.
“Oh, oh well, okay, see you.”
“Are you going?” He said turning back to look at me.
“Oh, no, prom isn’t really my scene.”
“I wish you were going.” When the door shut I sat back on my bed and pulled out my book. I started to read. Then I started to think, what am I doing? So I shut my book and opened my closet and there was the dress I wore to my cousin’s wedding six months ago. I hoped it still fit. It was a light blue strapless dress with silver sequins on the top. I threw that on and did my hair and makeup. I looked in the mirror and I have never seen myself this pretty.
When I got to the prom I walked in and everyone was staring at me including Brad. They all looked so surprised. When Kasey saw me she gave me a look and went up to Brad. She said,
“Oh, Brad, I made a mistake! I love you.” Kasey said but, Brad just ignored her and walked to me.
“Nicole, is that you? You look, amazing,” He said looking at me.
“Thank you. I have to tell you something.”
“Yeah anything,”
“Brad Higgins, I love you,” I had finally said it. I thought I never would. There was an awkward silence. He was just staring at me. I started to cry. Then I turned around and began to walk for the door. Then I felt his arm grab me and I tuned to look at him with tears running down my cheeks.
“Wait! Nicole, I love you to,” I smiled and we kissed. Then a slow song started. “Nicole, will you dance with me?”
“Yes, yes I will.”


The author's comments:
I really hope to continue this story i really liked the characters i developed.