Breakup Advice | Teen Ink

Breakup Advice

After those amazing relationships end, you have to ask yourself how things will continue. If you broke up with your partner, you must either be unhappy with them, mad at them, tired of them, or some other circumstance. So, if it is you who breaks up with the other, stop and think. As one single person, you don't have any idea what the other might go through. One moment to you is completely different that that of another. For example, you might go on a date and have the time of your life, oblivious to that fact that the one you care for is about to slit their wrists in boredom.
Just and example.
But that is something that you can relate to a breakup. You might think that things are better off without the other. They might be tripping and falling behind you, trying to catch up and get you back. It happens a lot, and these breakups are the worst. I myself went through one. And I've scraped my knees so much over these past to years tripping and falling after her(yes, two years. She's so beautiful I can't stop thinking about her). I've found out the the first and most important thing you can do to stay out of those horrible, bad break ups, is to forget. Easier said then done, right? Well, there is only one way to completely get over such a thing. Overwrite the memories that the two of you shared. Now, people call this a rebound, but isn't every boyfriend/girlfriend after the first a rebound? You must make better memories with this person. Have a greater time, and think about the new things you share rather then all the things you used to share with the other. Take it from me, with time, almost everything is mendable.

COMMENT AND WRITE YOUR OWN STORY BACK!

on Dec. 31 2009 at 12:15 am
White_Shadow BRONZE, Putnam, Illinois

"A life without cause is a life without effect." - Unknown

okay. so, when i help you, what kind of ending are you looking for? in other words, what do you want to do with the help i try to offer you?

MarinaOreo GOLD, King Of Prussia, Pennsylvania

"Your soul is the whole world" -Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse

I cried...it's so hard to let go...i wish you could help me personally with this, it feels like the world is ending. I had an on/off relationship and my ex has told me three times that he didn't love me...that explains the "off" part...It's been 4 months...I'm finally ready to move on even though I'm still in love with him..I see him every day at school, but we haven't talked in 4 months...he was my best friend....help? :(

on Dec. 26 2009 at 12:03 am
White_Shadow BRONZE, Putnam, Illinois

Thank you. :) Only by showing my pain and past can people relate so well to what i've gone through. I believe that is why i've got such great responses

on Dec. 25 2009 at 11:11 am
Rachel_Beth GOLD, Rainsville, Alabama
I find it nice that you show vulnerabilty in this peice. Because whether anyone one wants to admit it....everyone has been to this point some time in their life. And if they live long enough they will probably return to this point once again. You showed passion and pain through your words most people can only show happiness and greatfulness. Great job! ;)

InkBlot1 BRONZE, Co Springs, Colorado

"But soft! What light through yonder window breaks? It is the east, and Juliet is the sun! Arise fair sun, and kill the envious moon, for she is sick and pale with grief.."-Romeo, from Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet.

hmmm, some of the scenarios i see most often at school, happen to be when guys are completely gaga over his girlfriend, and she just messes with him. As in, he would do anything for her, and she takes full advantage of that. i'm not a guy, but im sure being toyed with like that can not feel good. maybe give some advice on how to handle that? or maybe asking somebody out...thats absolutely terrifying.

M.McDougall BRONZE, Martinsburg, West Virginia

sometimes you have to forget how you feel and remeber what you deserve.

i love this. i am going throgh a break up with my boyfriend of a year, and this really helps me get over it. thanks for publishing (:

loveibanez BRONZE, Maumee, Ohio

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on!" -Ben Franklin

Please excuse my recent absence from our conversation, I wasn't ignoring you, I promise! Well, I think a good one would be to write about asking someone out, becasue I know that that can take days or weeks to prepare for;; gaining courage... or the regection part... on both sides, haha. Maybe write about meeting the parents, or first dates... I can't wait to read it, whatever it is!

MOGLEY BRONZE said...
MOGLEY BRONZE, Lubbock, Texas
break ups are hard to get over. I know for some reason i broke up with the guy of my dreams and feel like a idiot but this really helped me! Thanks

. said...
this was absolutely stunning. i loved it..honestly i didnt want it to end. He sounds like my ex..so painfully complicated. If this was fiction on here you'd get 5stars from me

. said...
this was absolutely amazing..i loved it..and if it was a story on here it would be 5 stars

KiraKira PLATINUM, Cardiff By The Sea, California

Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and above all, pity those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

Try writing a break up advice for those who were cheated on

Not much has changed. He's still totally in love with his new girlfriend, and I'm still the lousy exgirlfriend who practically dreams of him every night and still loves him even though he tell her to back off. I've been trying to back off, been trying to look for other guys, and I think I might just be a little crazy.

White_Shadow BRONZE, Putnam, Illinois

hey, what scenario should i write a second break up advice for?

White_Shadow BRONZE, Putnam, Illinois

White_Shadow BRONZE, Putnam, Illinois

White_Shadow BRONZE, Putnam, Illinois

White_Shadow BRONZE, Putnam, Illinois

Hey, Tamara, what scenario do you think i should write breakup advice for?

White_Shadow BRONZE, Putnam, Illinois

hey, if i do write another one, what break up scenario should i give advice for? i'm asking people lol

DEMON said...
EDWARD & BELLA...ROMEO & JULIET...JACK SPARROW & RUM...We all have our dreams of love and forever. I give you "DARIAN & CLARA"...WRITERS. READERS.LOVERS...Would you be kind enough to voice your opinion about...

"RAZED EXPECTATIONS"

Wisps of smoke danced into the wintry air from my lips, creating ornate designs that could never be replicated. I carefully tilted the corners of my lips into a smile that I meant to be wry. Of course, it's difficult to articulate emotions that I can't feel, but I find that irony is relatively simple to demonstrate. I inhaled the toxic vapors of the cigarette casually. Its sinister, black cancer couldn't cripple a seventeen-year-old boy with no lungs, let alone a heart.

I glanced in the direction of the horizon, and flinched. The sun was dying flamboyantly, casting its radiant colors across the sky. Its last waves of light caressed my cold, pale skin. I wanted to snarl rebelliously as I felt its warmth slide against me deviously.

“Beautiful, isn’t it?”

My muscles went rigid, and I had to focus madly on controlling my shaking hands. I would know that voice, that beautiful, disastrous voice, in the realms beyond that of Earth. I grated my teeth, reeling in the disturbing sensations that she unknowingly always aroused in me.

I cocked my body towards her arrogantly, and lifted my mouth into a crooked crescent moon. I felt my eyes flashing, but I worked vehemently to fixate an arctic, hard tone into the dark of my indigo irises.

“I find the sunset lifeless and meaningless, actually,” I countered flatly, and a beat too late.

She laughed merrily, and I struggled within myself as my mind and body became entranced by the beautiful movement of her laughter as the colors of the sun played about her.

“You amuse me, Darian. How can you have such a pessimistic view of the world? The sun will not be lifeless until it disappears beneath the horizon, and the night falls. It’ll rise tomorrow, though,” she said.

I dared not think of her name. I hated the way my soul-if I had a soul-thrilled when her voice lingered over my name. It reminded me of music. I had to close my mind defiantly as I thought of music. I wanted nothing that resembled passion.

“That’s an inane notion that foolish women entertain. You want poetry, and ridiculous vows of forever. You aren’t difficult to read. If you want that sunset to mean something, then you want unrequited love. It doesn’t work like that,” I growled unmercifully, angry at her for unleashing the flood of feelings upon me.

DEMON said...
"RAZED EXPECTATIONS" It continues...

Her lovely green eyes shifted into hard emeralds.

“What do you know about me, Dare? And what’s so wrong with having dreams? And why are you talking to me like that? I was simply commenting on the sunset.” She tossed her red curls, clearly miffed.

I lifted my chin, and blew smoke in her face. It was easier on me when she was angry. I don’t know why she bothered with me. Why she was brave enough to confront me. Why she didn’t follow the laws of the superficial high school we both attended. Why she didn’t stay away from me, like everyone else.

“You’ll die from that smoking, Darian.” She glared at me. We’d had this argument a lot. I lifted my eyebrows, and turned away from her, signaling that the conversation was over.

She didn’t obey, and I sighed.

“You know, Dare, you could let yourself feel. You could understand it.” Her voice was soft, a whisper in the darkening air. She was air. My air.

I reviled the potency of the emotions I could feel pulsing through me. I ran a hand through my black hair nervously, my body skidding with strange, unfamiliar energy. I didn’t want to answer her. Why didn’t she leave?

I made a fatal mistake when I looked at her. Every nerve inside of me screamed, as though my body and internal organs were recharging hurriedly in the rare moment of my awakening.

I think I felt my heart beat hesitantly.

My voice seemed like that of a stranger. It had a rich, deep tone to it. It had color.

“Understand what?”

Something in my expression changed the way she was looking at me. It may have mirrored the arrangement of my own features. She became vulnerable in that instant.

“Kiss me.” She whispered brokenly.

Surprise jolted keenly through me. God, I wished I was numb again. Everything felt electric-too intense and too vivid. Emotions scattered across my being, a mutinous invasion of the raging war against myself. I was defenseless and an easy prey to her request. I breathed jaggedly, and there was a husky vibe to it. Want. I recognized it more clearly as it bloomed vibrantly through me.

And she was waiting. For me.

I destroyed the walls I had so warily built as I leaned towards her. She lifted a creamy hand and laid it tenderly against my cheek, the expectation making her bold. I moaned, and closed my eyes. My own hands loosened, and reached for her face greedily

Something hot-burning-ignited against my skin. I wrenched myself away, dazed by the unpleasant sensation. Had a spark traveled through our bodies? That’s when I noticed the cigarette kindling like a faint ember beside my marred hand. It had burnt me. The throbbing pain brought a wave of consciousness through me. Reality. And I stared at her face, inches from mine, and something clicked inside of me. Gears that began humming smoothly, like a tuned clock. I pulled back, and tossed her hand away like it stung. I grimaced as the vitals within me slowly resumed their state of nothingness, and shook my head to clear it of its nonsensical ideas.

She watched the change take possession of me, and tears began to collect in her eyes.

I found that I could care less.

I grinned at her, and mocked, “I taste of cigarettes, Clara.”

She got up shockingly to her feet, and backed away as if understanding for the first time what I was. Tears stained her nondescript face.

I smiled, that careful replication of a smile, and said acidly, “Did I humor your silly fantasies well?”

Her face crumpled entirely, and she pivoted away and ran sobbing from my scathing ridicule.

The sun died, and all was dark.