The radio | Teen Ink

The radio

I am going to tell you of an experience that I'm sure we've all had. Maybe it was the day of the big game. Or maybe it was the day of the weekend road trip that your family had been planning all week, or perhaps you are going to visit your grandparents, and it feels like the ride takes hours. But we all know that with the right music, any of these trips go by in seconds.

The day has come and you are already late. It took forever to get out of bed on your Saturday morning and waste that valuable time sleeping in. And I know, you needed it. You go downstairs to eat some breakfast and grab your bag. Making sure you have your phone and charger (who would go anywhere without those?), you head out to the car. The very first thing your mom says is, “Do you have everything, Sweetie?” and of course you reply with an annoyed, “Yes, mom,” because she's been nagging you about packing everything up for the last week so you wouldn't be rushing to pack everything on the night before you leave. But did you listen to her? Of course not, because you tell yourself, “I don't want to pack right now, I'll do it later. And I’m a strong independent teenager.” Well, now it's later and your strong will faltered, and you still haven't packed, so of course you end up rushing and packing when? The night before, just like your mom, who always seems to be right, said.

As you get in the car and start to drive away, you realize that the sun is really bright in your eyes...and then you remember you forgot your sunglasses. Not a good start.

Now, here's the part we’ve been waiting for: the music. After forgetting your sunglasses, you decide to close your eyes and take a nap. Uggghhhh, but your family is being SO annoying, talking about things like, “What should we have for dinner?” or “I need to do some shopping.” You reach into your bag for the perfect noise canceler. You know exactly where you put them, your favorite headphones, except, they aren’t there! Where are they? You know you put them in the pocket of your bag. This could not be good. This meant that you would have to listen to whatever your dad wanted to listen to, because everyone else had their headphones or could fall asleep without the aide of music blasting into their ears. Your dad would be listening to something from the 70’s or 80’s like, for example, “Intergalactic” by the Beastie Boys, or “Mony Mony” by Billy Idol. But, you know what, you're hopeful. You’re hopeful that a song like “More than a Feeling” by Boston, or “You Give Love a Bad Name” by Bon Jovi, or literally anything by Michael Jackson will play through the radio waves.

Unfortunately, every time a song comes on, your dad will give a little, “Oh! Good song!” or “Ah I know this one,” thinking it's a popular song when in fact it turns out to be “Whip it” by Devo. Who is Devo? Or here’s a good one, “Da Butt” by E.U. I thought this was supposed to be “the age of music?” Some are better than others I guess.

However your dad will not give up the radio, no matter how much you pester him or how many songs he gets the title wrong to. At this point, you give up and end up listening to, “Careless Whisper” by Wham! (featuring George Micheals).

You then knew, it was going to be a never ending car ride.

This piece is very relatable piece to many young teenagers. It is humourus and well written.