A Moment to Cherish | Teen Ink

A Moment to Cherish

By AmandaNuriR BRONZE, Chandler, Arizona
AmandaNuriR BRONZE, Chandler, Arizona

"Jesus looked at them and said, 'With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God.'" -Mark 10:27

I sat down on the cool grass, glad to be getting some peace for a change. My agenda was packed with things like taking care of my house, swimming meets, and all kinds of high school chaos.

I stared out into a beautiful landscape. A thin screen of gray fluff covered the mountains and made them seem to stretch on for endless miles. The small waves in the vast lake traveled along the surface crashing into places where land began and then setting off in a new direction.

I turned, when I heard the noise of crunching grass, just in time to see Nathan sit down next to me and smile.

"It's amazing isn't it?" I asked him as I looked out into the glistening water.

"Yeah, it definitely is..." He murmured smiling.

I turned to look into his ocean blue eyes my lips curved up into a delighted grin. I turned my eyes back to the mountain range sighing.

"You know, Nathan. What you've done for me in these past months has really changed me. You have no idea how much all of this has meant to me. You've reunited me with my biological family that I haven't seen in fourteen years. You saved my life about three times. And you treat me like I am the only thing that matters in your life." I said shaking my head in thankful disbelief.

It was a moment before he said anything.

"Well you are the only thing that matters to me." He told me softly locking our stare. His blue eyes were mesmerizing and his blond hair blew in the soft breeze.

Our conversation was interrupted by an earsplitting crack of thunder and I looked up from my perch on the grassy hill. Dark clouds filled the sky and swallowed the sun whole. Rain began to pick up all along the lake. I watched it spread then stood next to Nathan who was already standing up.

"We’d better go, Sam, this storm looks like it's gonna be bad." He commented slipping into his jacket over my shoulders.

We ran to his car and we got inside. As soon as Nathan shut his door rain poured over the windows harder than ever.

"Perfect timing!" Nathan exclaimed and I laughed.

He started the car and I looked out of the window trying to make out the once perfectly clear, breath-taking landscape but it faded away through the thick sheets of downpour.

So much for a break... I thought to myself as Nathan pulled out of the parking space and we headed back to resume our busy lives.

The first thing you need to know about me is that I love writing and reading. I have written stories since I was in 2nd grade and I still continue to have the pleasure of writing them to this day.

I am planning on publishing my first novel and have it out in stores by March 2009. In the story I wrote here, I use the characters from my book but no events that take place in it.

I'm encouraged by authors such as Justin Somper, Stephenie Meyer, and Suzanne Collins to write books. Without their inspiration I wouldn't be in the position I am now.

amandafanda! said...
on Dec. 7 2008 at 4:47 am
love it........ crazy cool. its awesome. i love it. going to get the book the second it comes out. millesecond.

Tegannn said...
on Dec. 5 2008 at 1:48 am
Awesome story sorry i didnt post earlier but uhhhhhh didnt see this part hehe ;) But SWEET job

FAN! said...
on Nov. 30 2008 at 1:44 am
I'll be there at midnight... waiting for this book to come out to get the first copy.

outstanding.

Hannah said...
on Nov. 23 2008 at 3:41 am
Thats great Amandaa!! Cant wait to read it... hehe... you know its me.... (P.E. Buddy

gm728 said...
on Nov. 21 2008 at 8:07 am
Great writing Amanda,I'm very proud of you.

Trizvi said...
on Nov. 21 2008 at 1:26 am
Man Amanda your story rocks.

naynay said...
on Nov. 20 2008 at 7:59 pm
I can't wait to read the entire novel. You have an amazing gift.........keep writing, and keep your imagination alive! It's wonderful that you love to read! this helps keep your imagination alive!!!!!

Patty said...
on Nov. 20 2008 at 7:08 pm
Great Job Amanda! I want to read more.....

Nasut said...
on Nov. 20 2008 at 3:53 pm
Great job Amanda! I'm looking forward to reading the whole book. Your descriptive words really paint a good setting to the story. I’m going to be very interested in how you develop these characters in the book! Charge on!!

on Nov. 20 2008 at 3:47 pm
GREAT job, Amanda! Such colorful descriptions and characterization. I'm very excited to read more of your work.

Mrs. Star said...
on Nov. 19 2008 at 11:43 pm
Nice job Amanda! I really like your word choice - it paints a very clear setting. Can't wait to read the book.

ImNotBroken said...
on Nov. 19 2008 at 11:36 pm
Nice! keep on doing ur thin9!

love it....

Sue said...
on Nov. 19 2008 at 7:34 pm
I'm so thrilled that writing is your passion! If this is just a sample of your work, I can't wait to read your book! Never underestimate the power of words to move people...you have a very special gift!

Teri said...
on Nov. 19 2008 at 5:15 pm
Beautiful. The talent comes shining through. Never give up!!

Alicia said...
on Nov. 19 2008 at 3:06 pm
Awesome! You go girl!