A Loss, With No Gain | Teen Ink

A Loss, With No Gain

By Kaylyn w BRONZE, Westampton, New Jersey
Kaylyn w BRONZE, Westampton, New Jersey

What happened that fateful night, I can't quite remember all of it; much of it is just a blur now. But what I do know is that if I weren't caught up in being insidious, I could have helped. I could have won the battle I was raging with myself, I could have just let it go, but instead I was swept up like crumbs on the dinner table, with the persuasion of my new 'friends'. I could have fought the battle of my augmented dislike of my best friend. I could have won'

Because of me, a life has been lost.

It all started when my best friend, Sydney said something about me behind my back. It was something stupid, something not worth being angry over. At the time, I had just developed a new group of friends, who I thought to be like the cherry on top of an ice cream sundae with a dribble of scrumptious hot fudge, and a luscious walnut coated topping; just what my life needed.

Sydney had said that my new group was a bad influence over me, and since I am easily swayed, they would adulterate me; that I should have just kept it like normal; just her and me.

After we stopped the rumor, my friends and I got talking, and came up with a plan. My important and irrelevant friends were all going to be invited to my house that night for a party. My parents were on out-of-town business; therefore my place was perfect for the plan'



The pulse of the music beat through me like a heartthrob. It twisted and turned its way through my veins until my body moved with it. I looked toward Sydney, 'Good, she's drinking the 'special mix',' I thought smugly, I was drinking water myself, nothing could destroy me now. Not tonight.

My friends had all been deployed to certain areas around the house that Sydney would pass. They would talk to her, and casually pour her more drink, with or without her knowing, it was simply the perfect plan. Eventually, Sydney came to me and slurred, 'Whoa, it's so hot in here.' She was obviously drunk.

'Hmmm,' I replied smugly, 'How about you go outside to cool off?' I said opening the door.

'That sounds good,' she garbled, and stepped outside.

That's when it happened.

Screams. Crash. Sirens. Frenzy.

People were pouring out of the house to see what had happened. Two policemen were outside. One was hunched over an unmoving object; the other was talking to a man with a bewildered expression on his face.

The policeman looking at the entity rose and looked directly at me as if saying, 'You are the cause of this.'

I tore my eyes away from the policeman's, and the sight I saw was one of horror.

There she was, my best friend, my safe-haven, the one I trusted the most.

Dead.

And now she was the scapegoat of my own worst enemy.

Myself.

squidney said...
well i WAS the firt to comment! this is superly duperly awsome!!!!!!!!!!!oll! keep writing but next time dont make a character with my name die!

luv ya,

squdney♥

AuntieM said...
Kaylyn, I'm so proud of the writer you have become. I want to read more! Don't stop! I can just feel the angst someone would experience fomr the story line in your writing. Love it!

coolj55 said...
awsome

OMG Kaylyn, I LOOOOOVE it!!!! If you couldn't guess by my screen name, this is V. Keep writing; I want to know what happens next!! :)

shea717 said...
wow that was really good i liked it a lot

mommamaureen said...
Kaylyn you used a lot of big words. Do you know what they all mean. Very good!!! Keep writing

ladyhawk721 said...
I like it alot!! Is there more? I want to know what happened next.

pears said...
on Mar. 19 2009 at 2:01 am
Kaylyn,

It is amazing to see the writer that you've become. Although I did not have you in class, it is always amazing to see young writers excel.