Perfect | Teen Ink

Perfect MAG

February 10, 2009
By Kelsey Hill BRONZE, State University, Arkansas
Kelsey Hill BRONZE, State University, Arkansas
2 articles 1 photo 1 comment

The eyeliner makes the dark circles less pronounced. The lip gloss hides the trembling. The ponytail conceals missing patches of hair. The Abercrombie sweater covers bruises. I might look at bit thinner, but everyone will ask about my new diet. My hair might not shine the way it used to, but the pink ribbon will distract curious eyes. One hour of preparation and I look like myself. One hour of preparation and no one will know. One hour out of 24. Sometimes I wonder if it’s worth it – wasting a twenty-fourth of my day on a lie. But then I see my wispy hair and baggy eyes, and I have to do it.

Checking my makeup one last time, I push my sleeves up, though not past my elbows. I slip on a cute pair of flats – heels are too dangerous with shaky legs – and grab my Hollister bag. Padding downstairs, I inhale the scent of waffles and syrup.

“Morning, Mom,” I call.

“Morning, baby,” she chirps. “Did you sleep well?”

“Better than I have been.”

She sighs, and her eyes look a hundred years old for a minute. “Any improvement is good,” she says half-heartedly.

“Of course.”

“I made waffles.” Her offering.

“Thanks, Mom. Smells delicious.” My offering.

I sit at the table and she hands me a plate. The thought of all that food turns my stomach, but I force a smile and thank my mother again. She busies herself at the sink and fills the silence with chatter. When she turns around, she takes in the waffles still on my plate, only missing a few bites. I smile apologetically.

“I’m not very hungry this morning.”

“You’ll need your strength for this afternoon.” She bites her lip. She doesn’t like to bring it up over breakfast. I eat another bite.

“I packed your lunch.”

“I’m 18, Mom. I can pack my own lunch. You have more important things to do.”

She reaches for the paper sack. “But now I know you’ll have something to eat. And you need to eat, okay? You have to keep your strength up.”

Sighing, I take the bag. I know this peanut butter and jelly sandwich won’t be eaten, not any more than the one yesterday or the day before. And even if I do eat it, I’ll just throw it up later. Anything consumed after 11 ends up in a plastic basin at 4:07. It’s just the way it works.

“Hon, have you thought about what I said the other day?” she asks.

I shrug noncommittally.

“Sweetheart, you can’t hide this forever. Eventually you’re going to miss school and people will start asking questions.”

“Mom, I have two months left of high school. I can make it ’til then. I’m class president and probably valedictorian. I was voted ‘Most popular,’ ‘Most fun to be around,’ ‘Best smile,’ and ‘Most likely to succeed.’ I’m the girl who’s got it all together. People don’t want to know that the girl who’s got it all together, doesn’t have it all together. People don’t want to know that girl is dying!”

“Honey, don’t say that. You’re not dying.”

“Yes, I am. I have cancer. You heard Dr. Morrison. I have maybe a year left. But that means I can graduate and then never see those people again. I’ll die and they’ll feel sorry for me, but at least I won’t have to endure their pity.”

“But …,” she tries to interrupt.

“Mom, listen to me. I don’t want to be the girl everyone looks at and whispers, ‘Look at her. Poor thing, she has cancer.’ I can’t handle that. I want to be normal. Just for these last two months.”

“Okay,” she whispers. “Okay. Just remember, it’s okay if you don’t have it all together. Sometimes things just fall apart and there’s nothing we can do.”

“Thanks, Mom.” I grab my bag and lunch and kiss her on the cheek. “I love you.”

“I love you too,” my mom replies. This exchange, once taken for granted, is now a vital part of every morning, every afternoon, every night. Three little words, followed by four more, have come to mean more than an entire conversation. They bridge all gaps and disagreements, because we both know there is now a finite number left.

Keys in hand, I open the door and blink in the early morning sun. My silver car waits in the driveway and as I walk toward it, I check my reflection in the tinted window. Perfect.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 838 comments.


on Mar. 27 2010 at 6:23 am
PrincessPineapple GOLD, Chesapeake, Virginia
18 articles 0 photos 46 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To love someone is to learn the song that is in their heart, and sing it to them when they have forgotten." ~unknown

Awwww! this is such a sad story! but the writing is really good.

erkamarie93 said...
on Mar. 24 2010 at 11:39 pm
erkamarie93, Delavan, Illinois
0 articles 6 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
If It Ain't Country, It Ain't Music!

much better than your article about edward...haha

on Mar. 24 2010 at 10:16 pm
Kristy_loves_Keats PLATINUM, Arvada, Colorado
23 articles 0 photos 99 comments
this is a beautiful story..almost made mw cry!

on Mar. 24 2010 at 8:26 pm
amethyst990 BRONZE, Wexford, Pennsylvania
3 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
Be who you are, and say what you feel, because those who mind, don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
~Dr. Suess

that story makes me want to always have a positive outlook, even in really bad situations! The girl is so strong, and she faces death with a smile on her face.

on Mar. 24 2010 at 7:54 pm
riley1516 PLATINUM, Lake Zurich, Illinois
26 articles 2 photos 50 comments

Favorite Quote:
Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” -Howard Thurman

Kind of reminds me of my life, i have a terminal lung disease but no one at school knows.. i wake up everyday and attempt to put my best smile on

Striker GOLD said...
on Mar. 24 2010 at 7:50 pm
Striker GOLD, Wichita, Kansas
11 articles 0 photos 35 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life is too short to wake up with regrets. So love the people who care about you and forget about those who don't."

This story is inspiring. You are an amazing writer. Keep it up.

Sarbear GOLD said...
on Mar. 24 2010 at 5:31 pm
Sarbear GOLD, Milan, Ohio
10 articles 4 photos 489 comments

Favorite Quote:
--Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes.
--When life gives you lemons, squirt them in people's eyes.

you're very talented, i love how you kept the cancer surprise a secret and kept us guessing til the end. well done and keep writing! check out my stories too:-)

on Mar. 24 2010 at 5:10 pm
Schickster SILVER, Ithaca, New York
5 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain

that was... perfect :)

on Mar. 24 2010 at 4:20 pm
Allessandrea-Rukia SILVER, Hoppers Crossing, Other
7 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
You make a persuasive argument

this is brilliant :)

kather BRONZE said...
on Mar. 24 2010 at 4:01 pm
kather BRONZE, Wilmette, Illinois
3 articles 0 photos 8 comments
I agree, it did seem make her seem shallow... But the story was very nicely written... I wonder if it's a true story?

on Mar. 24 2010 at 3:43 pm
starlight26 GOLD, Miramar, Florida
11 articles 7 photos 174 comments

Favorite Quote:
*life isnt about pretending to be something you're not. It about being who you are and finding someone
who loves every bit of it."

"Life's tradegy is that we get old too soon and wise too late"

Heart-Breakingly BEAUTIFUL. LOL I LOVED IT. . U COULD HAVE A CAREER IN WRITING. keep doing what u love!! :)

on Mar. 24 2010 at 10:20 am
sunnyhunny PLATINUM, Litchfield, New Hampshire
22 articles 3 photos 329 comments

Favorite Quote:
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
-Ghandi

I really love this! I seriously meant to give you five stars but it clicked wrong, so i apologize

fun size said...
on Mar. 24 2010 at 9:26 am
Thats sad! =[ but its still good! so you should keep writing! it was fantastic! But yet still sad!

soccer4 said...
on Mar. 24 2010 at 9:25 am
i think i would love to buy this. Just dont let people stop you what your best at!!!!!! :)

emwillis said...
on Mar. 24 2010 at 9:23 am
that is sad.

Nala96 BRONZE said...
on Mar. 23 2010 at 9:30 pm
Nala96 BRONZE, Ceres, California
2 articles 1 photo 30 comments
I think you should some more!

Nala96 BRONZE said...
on Mar. 23 2010 at 8:28 pm
Nala96 BRONZE, Ceres, California
2 articles 1 photo 30 comments
WOW! that was sicerely awesome! u havea way with words! I give you 5 stars!!!

nutmeg212 GOLD said...
on Mar. 19 2010 at 5:41 pm
nutmeg212 GOLD, Coventry, Rhode Island
11 articles 0 photos 63 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't worry about it." -V.Z.

that was so good. not like all the other "girl has cancer" stories. it has depth, meaning and made me FEEL something. keep on writing!

Tacchino said...
on Mar. 16 2010 at 10:15 pm
Tacchino, Denver, Colorado
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment
This story, Perfect by Kelsey H. is completely Amazing! I love it because you had your character very well planned out! A way you developed it was by the having the Dialogue, thoughts, and physical appearance. Your dialogue was strong and really showed how your character was very concerned about her rep. n ect. She had a very strong personality. The way you wrote the Physical appearance was very interesting because it showed how she was changing and Character change is IMPORTANT. A piece of the physical appearance was: The eyeliner makes the dark circles less pronounced. The lip gloss hides the trembling. The ponytail conceals missing patches of hair. The Abercrombie sweater covers bruises. I might look at bit thinner, but everyone will ask about my new diet. My hair might not shine the way it used to, but the pink ribbon will distract curious eyes. Her thoughts really come out when she is thinking of herself and her time left. It makes me sad though because it's a sad story but other wise I think you have some real talent for developing a good story!!! :-3

on Mar. 12 2010 at 8:35 pm
writergirl13 GOLD, Cherry Hill, New Jersey
11 articles 8 photos 261 comments

Favorite Quote:
All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

Amazing!! You write well!

If you want to, please take a look at my piece, it would mean a lot to me. :)