Perfect MAG

By Kelsey Hill BRONZE, State University, Arkansas
Kelsey Hill BRONZE, State University, Arkansas
2 articles 1 photo 1 comment

The eyeliner makes the dark circles less pronounced. The lip gloss hides the trembling. The ponytail conceals missing patches of hair. The Abercrombie sweater covers bruises. I might look at bit thinner, but everyone will ask about my new diet. My hair might not shine the way it used to, but the pink ribbon will distract curious eyes. One hour of preparation and I look like myself. One hour of preparation and no one will know. One hour out of 24. Sometimes I wonder if it’s worth it – wasting a twenty-fourth of my day on a lie. But then I see my wispy hair and baggy eyes, and I have to do it.

Checking my makeup one last time, I push my sleeves up, though not past my elbows. I slip on a cute pair of flats – heels are too dangerous with shaky legs – and grab my Hollister bag. Padding downstairs, I inhale the scent of waffles and syrup.

“Morning, Mom,” I call.

“Morning, baby,” she chirps. “Did you sleep well?”

“Better than I have been.”

She sighs, and her eyes look a hundred years old for a minute. “Any improvement is good,” she says half-heartedly.

“Of course.”

“I made waffles.” Her offering.

“Thanks, Mom. Smells delicious.” My offering.

I sit at the table and she hands me a plate. The thought of all that food turns my stomach, but I force a smile and thank my mother again. She busies herself at the sink and fills the silence with chatter. When she turns around, she takes in the waffles still on my plate, only missing a few bites. I smile apologetically.

“I’m not very hungry this morning.”

“You’ll need your strength for this afternoon.” She bites her lip. She doesn’t like to bring it up over breakfast. I eat another bite.

“I packed your lunch.”

“I’m 18, Mom. I can pack my own lunch. You have more important things to do.”

She reaches for the paper sack. “But now I know you’ll have something to eat. And you need to eat, okay? You have to keep your strength up.”

Sighing, I take the bag. I know this peanut butter and jelly sandwich won’t be eaten, not any more than the one yesterday or the day before. And even if I do eat it, I’ll just throw it up later. Anything consumed after 11 ends up in a plastic basin at 4:07. It’s just the way it works.

“Hon, have you thought about what I said the other day?” she asks.

I shrug noncommittally.

“Sweetheart, you can’t hide this forever. Eventually you’re going to miss school and people will start asking questions.”

“Mom, I have two months left of high school. I can make it ’til then. I’m class president and probably valedictorian. I was voted ‘Most popular,’ ‘Most fun to be around,’ ‘Best smile,’ and ‘Most likely to succeed.’ I’m the girl who’s got it all together. People don’t want to know that the girl who’s got it all together, doesn’t have it all together. People don’t want to know that girl is dying!”

“Honey, don’t say that. You’re not dying.”

“Yes, I am. I have cancer. You heard Dr. Morrison. I have maybe a year left. But that means I can graduate and then never see those people again. I’ll die and they’ll feel sorry for me, but at least I won’t have to endure their pity.”

“But …,” she tries to interrupt.

“Mom, listen to me. I don’t want to be the girl everyone looks at and whispers, ‘Look at her. Poor thing, she has cancer.’ I can’t handle that. I want to be normal. Just for these last two months.”

“Okay,” she whispers. “Okay. Just remember, it’s okay if you don’t have it all together. Sometimes things just fall apart and there’s nothing we can do.”

“Thanks, Mom.” I grab my bag and lunch and kiss her on the cheek. “I love you.”

“I love you too,” my mom replies. This exchange, once taken for granted, is now a vital part of every morning, every afternoon, every night. Three little words, followed by four more, have come to mean more than an entire conversation. They bridge all gaps and disagreements, because we both know there is now a finite number left.

Keys in hand, I open the door and blink in the early morning sun. My silver car waits in the driveway and as I walk toward it, I check my reflection in the tinted window. Perfect.

on Aug. 27 2012 at 6:40 pm
RandiRose SILVER, New York, New York

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.

Very good!!!!!! Anyone want to check out my stories and give me some feedback? =D

on Aug. 21 2012 at 12:02 pm
alliegeoca SILVER, Penfield, New York

"There is no such thing as love. It's a fantasy. That's why everyone tries so hard to find it."
~(500) Days of Summer

I liked the plot a lot, it was certaintly interesting, but maybe develope your writing skills more?

on Aug. 20 2012 at 1:33 am
Chrysy1618 BRONZE, New York, New York

I can have pages and pages of quotes it's just impossible to pick one. I'll try though.

Loved the discription in the first paragraph really sucked me into the character's world. 

on Aug. 17 2012 at 12:49 pm
KnitsandPurls GOLD, Mahtomedi, Minnesota

"I cannot live without books"
--Thomas Jefferson

WOW.          

JRaye PLATINUM said...
on Jul. 29 2012 at 6:43 pm
JRaye PLATINUM, Dorr, Michigan

"If you build your house far enough away from Trouble, then Trouble will never find you."

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and said, 'I just don't care.'?"

This is amazing! I wanted to cry when I finished reading it, but in a good way! Awesome job, keep writting!

. said...
on Jul. 29 2012 at 12:03 pm
I thought it was an eating disorder too! But it was still brilliant!

. said...
on Jul. 29 2012 at 12:03 pm
This is so amazing! your a great writer!

on Jul. 29 2012 at 11:18 am
ladybugsrock SILVER, Billings, Montana

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wow! This is a great story! I liked how the reader felt the emotions going on as well as the main character! Great Job!

Niti-M BRONZE said...
on Jul. 28 2012 at 9:21 am
Niti-M BRONZE, Mumbai (Matunga), Other
so sad but brilliant.

on Jul. 15 2012 at 6:27 pm
primepower BRONZE, North Andover, Massachusetts

"Come he slow or come he fast it is but death that comes at last."-Sir Walter Scott "Ideas are bulletproof."- Alan Moore "I believe in Metphors. Metaphors are real." -Elliot S! Maggin "Are you the dreamer or just a part of someone else's dream?"

This is really great!

I swear to God I was about to write a piece like this soon...

GaelicC said...
on Jul. 13 2012 at 8:23 am
GaelicC, Longford, Other

No -Rosa Parks

Really liked this. It reminds me of my sisters keeper. So sad but beautiful.

on Jul. 6 2012 at 12:31 pm
PhoenixCrossing GOLD, Tinley Park, Illinois
Very beautiful. Please write more!

on Jun. 5 2012 at 7:29 am
wow...heartbreaking and beautiful!

on Jun. 3 2012 at 11:11 am
brookemister101 GOLD, Hohenwald, Tennessee

There are as many religions in the world as there are people

Wow. I loved it. Af first I thought it was about an eating disorder, so I was shocked about the cancer part. It was an awesome piece, although sad.

on Jun. 2 2012 at 11:40 am
JulieKate SILVER, Niceville, Florida

"The brain is wider than the sky."--Emily Dickinson.

So powerful! 

on Jun. 2 2012 at 11:40 am
JulieKate SILVER, Niceville, Florida

So powerful! 

StillYoung said...
on Jun. 1 2012 at 9:25 am
StillYoung, Cavan, Other

be who you want to be, not who others expect you to be.

Yeah I also thought it was about bulima as well, excellent piece though :) you should actually do a piece on like anorexia or bulima, you're really good at taking on the role of the character it seems, really well written :)

on May. 31 2012 at 1:13 am
Kenziemcm13 PLATINUM, Rutherfordton, North Carolina

A simple story can tell an entire story!~~ ME
Pictures tell a 1000 words~IDK :P

Loved it!! Your a really great writer! Could you read some of my poems and see what you think I would be honored if you would!

ShadowRealms said...
on May. 24 2012 at 4:33 pm
I honestly thought she was bulemic at the beginning, but now I see why. Its an amazing article but it is incredibly sad D:

SchWag said...
on May. 24 2012 at 2:31 pm
SchWag, SCREWSTTOONN(:, Texas

God First, Broo(:

Yeahhh!!!(::::::

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!