I won | Teen Ink

I won

February 14, 2014
By Johanna_Rose PLATINUM, Warsaw, Other
Johanna_Rose PLATINUM, Warsaw, Other
32 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.


I pushed through the barriers of isolation and looked at his lips.
They were smiling, what a rare sight.
His eyes narrowed on me like prey.
I stood on the spot, feeling the tension of my body. His need for me, I was his universe, his sun.
A star that was slowly dying. It’s shine diminishing.
I stood in my spot, my head hung low.

-So what do you say? Coffee tomorrow? – His gaze caught mine and I sucked in his scent.
This horrible person that destroyed my self-esteem.
The words that cracked my heart in two. The man who tormented me throughout entire middle school, poking my oversized shape and pinching the under chin.
“Who would want to date you? You fat pig!”
Everyone stared. All bit their nails, keeping back a grin.
Since then I would never sit through a class without hearing these words.
“Look how it bounces when she walks!”
“Imagine him trying to carry that?!”
“You think fat is attractive?”
I looked up. They were the same eyes, these that laughed at me and these that judged me. And now they wanted me… My head throbbed.
-You bullied me. – I whispered, watching his face change. He was confused, trying to recall a memory long forgotten.
-Oh… - His face was sheepish. – Yeah. Sorry about that.
Sorry? He thought that would cut it? He thought a simple sorry would be enough to fix all the pain he has caused me. What a joke!
-You don’t think I’m a fat pig anymore? – My stare dug into him accusingly.
- I was a stupid kid. Don’t take these words to heart.
I barely heard my voice. – I can’t.
-You can’t go for coffee? Maybe another day?
-I can’t forgive you. - I blurted, unable to take my eyes off his face. A sick satisfaction slipped into my spine, he looked hurt. Biting his lips, he scratched his head and signed.
-I see. Well… - He looked into my eyes, the shine perishing. – I guess I’ll see you around.
And just like that he disappeared, joining his friends. They patted his back and laughed at his misery. Someone said a joke and he laughed at it like nothing happened.
The satisfaction soon died off and yet again I caught myself gazing at him in class.
And only once did he look at me, our eyes met and he looked down, ashamed.
A smile appeared on my lips.
I won.


The author's comments:
The smallest moments in life are the ones that produce the biggest change.