Room critique | Teen Ink

Room critique

By bjones12 BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
bjones12 BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona

Room is an extremely well written and thought-out book. Emma Donoghue did an amazing job keeping this book simple, and easy to read. I really enjoyed this novel because it never tried to take you away from reality, but instead actually touched on very real situations such as rape and kidnap. This story is about a girl who gets kidnapped, raped and held in a shed for 7 years. In that 7 years she has a son named Jack and raises him in the “Room” until one day they devise a plan to escape. This was a very simple story line to follow because it never strayed off to different paths and it never left me confused about what I had just read. I enjoyed reading this because as I said before it was a very simple and quick read, yet Emma did a great job using those simple words to create extremely vivid pictures in my head as I read. I haven’t always been the biggest fan of fantasy books which made this book that much better because it showed the true effects of what solitary confinement, rape, and kidnapping can have on a person. I do believe that this book is geared more towards women because there are a lot of moments in the book that reflect a mother’s love for her child, so at times I did find it hard to relate . This book definitely hit on some important issues in our world. A big one in my opinion was how “Ma” was able to cope with giving birth to her son Jack because he was basically the product of her getting raped. This seemed like an extremely significant part of the book because it almost seemed as though they had a better relationship than most mothers because of what they both went through and they could relate. Another issue that Emma addressed was how children who have been sheltered their whole life adjust to the real world when let out into it. In this book she did an amazing job showing Jack’s struggle to basically understand the reality of the world he lives in and how to act and survive in it. Because Jack hasn’t had any contact with other people except from his mother, he has a hard time communicating with the doctors and patience at the clinic they are staying at. I felt Emma did a fantastic job in showing his progress in adjusting to the real world, but also his struggle to break free from the obsession of his mother. All in all I felt this book was clear and concise, very well thought-out, and extremely well written. I hope that you will take the time to read this book because you will not want to put it down!