Passing Cars This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I am standing on the corner, hesitant, waiting for the beauty that maybe will come for me. Vulnerable, perhaps, behind my black glasses and pearled ears, zits and braces. The cars whiz past me, carriages smoothly gliding, and I watch the people. I watch the men driving alone, the older girls with their shiny, straightened hair and perky breasts, the women barely visible behind piles of groceries, the older couples. I watch these people’s hands. They clutch cigarettes, coffees, soda cans, each other.

I watch their faces, lined with sorrow and laughter, lined with makeup and the crusty remnants of sleep. I watch these people, these strangers driving by me, not seeing me, and I think how funny it is that they sit in their thrones of leather and vinyl, thinking they are alone, but there, there I am, watching them, trying to read their pasts, their presents, their futures, without tarot cards, thinking how odd it is to see human souls encased in glass and steel, private tragedies driving to some unknown destination.

maddymadmad3 said...
Apr. 10 at 8:38 pm:
Short but sweet :)

dizzydreamerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 15, 2013 at 7:33 am:
I really, really love this. Good job

RelativetoWritingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love this topic- of observing people and in doing that, observing human nature. Wonderful work!

OriginofGenesis said...
May 9, 2013 at 10:38 pm:
This is amazing. You are very sensitive and perceptive, keep writing. :)

bwriter24 said...
Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:22 am:
this is fantastic

Emily L. said...
Mar. 27, 2012 at 6:56 pm:
Cool! I kind of wrote something like this, called Coffee Shop Stories, with the whole part about not knowing who they were and stuff. Check it out.

LoveWriting01 said...
Mar. 5, 2012 at 2:02 pm:
I like the simpleness. I enjoyed this read a lot :)

wordlover27 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 29, 2011 at 11:32 am:
I love how you took something so simple and made it breathtakingly beautiful :)

RiverSong said...
May 2, 2011 at 6:45 pm:
Beautiful! Five stars!

Sara I. said...
This is wonderful.

bubj98 said...
amazing.i think its great how you think of things.i feel the same way

crazypoetgirl18 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is really a beautiful piece, and a good concept. I have similar feelings about phone books. There are names laid out in front of you, and you can only imagine the connections they have to each other or the kind of lives they lead...

Sliva23 said...
Jul. 2, 2010 at 8:06 am:
I truely love this....it actually made me think and then cry for some unknown reason

eternalsunset This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 28, 2010 at 11:11 pm:
This is truly Beautiful. Keep Writing!

mustlovemuse said...
Jun. 28, 2010 at 3:12 pm:
Awesome. Very well written... the flow of the words you chose is incredible. :)

Hi-5_Girl replied...
Jul. 20, 2010 at 6:48 pm :

I too enjoy watching people driving by. Sometimes I even make up life stories for them. Again I'll say what everyone else here is saying, your words flowed so well it made me want to keep reading even though this piece is so short. Bravo!

~

Hi-5_Girl replied...
Jul. 20, 2010 at 6:49 pm :

This was not intended to be added on to mustlovemuse's comment. :) I hit the wrong button by mistake.

~The Hi-5 Girl

rayj095 said...
May 15, 2010 at 6:45 pm:
Awesomee! Very short and puts a good point out there :)

Chingu said...
Incredible! I've had the same thoughts, but you put them into words with grace and beauty. Keep on writing!

Kkrazy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
WOW!