Passing Cars | Teen Ink

Passing Cars MAG

By Julia Holemans BRONZE, Arlington, Virginia
Julia Holemans BRONZE, Arlington, Virginia

I am standing on the corner, hesitant, waiting for the beauty that maybe will come for me. Vulnerable, perhaps, behind my black glasses and pearled ears, zits and braces. The cars whiz past me, carriages smoothly gliding, and I watch the people. I watch the men driving alone, the older girls with their shiny, straightened hair and perky breasts, the women barely visible behind piles of groceries, the older couples. I watch these people’s hands. They clutch cigarettes, coffees, soda cans, each other.

I watch their faces, lined with sorrow and laughter, lined with makeup and the crusty remnants of sleep. I watch these people, these strangers driving by me, not seeing me, and I think how funny it is that they sit in their thrones of leather and vinyl, thinking they are alone, but there, there I am, watching them, trying to read their pasts, their presents, their futures, without tarot cards, thinking how odd it is to see human souls encased in glass and steel, private tragedies driving to some unknown destination.

on Apr. 23 2010 at 8:32 pm
thisisascreenname BRONZE, Sugarloaf, California
WOW!

on Mar. 13 2010 at 10:13 pm
t0xic_tomato GOLD, Somewhere, Pennsylvania
Amazing, really.

on Feb. 16 2010 at 11:47 am
Mykindapeopledontcarewhatyouthink BRONZE, Gueydan, Louisiana
Wow that's exactly how I feel when i'm around people

on Dec. 12 2009 at 10:49 am
Ethershine SILVER, Dublin, Pennsylvania
something I think about all the time. I love just sitting there and wondering what a stranger is thinking, where he's going, what his life is about, etc.

it flows well. Nice choice of vocabulary.

on Aug. 21 2009 at 7:15 pm
I think about that all the time.

CARMENITA said...
on Jul. 2 2009 at 2:15 am
CARMENITA, Walnut Creek, California

"Make way for the heir of Slytherin, seriously evil wizard coming through..." said by George and Fred Weasley in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

short and very intresting to read! Thanks for posting it!

on Jul. 2 2009 at 12:08 am
nickinemb BRONZE, Montezuma, New Mexico
1 article 1 photo 1 comment
I love this! It just screams New York City.

bookaddict said...
on Jun. 17 2009 at 10:58 pm
It's short...and sweet...and makes an interesting point! Bravo! Keep it up!

on Jun. 14 2009 at 5:48 am
Hannah Rosenzweig BRONZE, San Francisco, California
this is a great little story you have here. i can totally relate to it and i think many others can as well, one thing that makes it so good.

on Jun. 11 2009 at 1:07 am
MaxWayland567 BRONZE, Char, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
This is great! Short and sweet, as some may say! It reflects to what i feel sometimes, watching people pass by as i try to read their feelings.

Keep up the great work!

on Jun. 3 2009 at 4:14 am
I loved this!! :)It just relates to how I am sometimes...I just see people at the store or at an intersection or something, and they don't see me back...and I try to think of what kind of person they are. It's weird to think about how many people in the world are strangers to us!! Anywho...Keep it up! Nice work!! :)

kittykat123 said...
on May. 28 2009 at 9:46 pm
short but very good!!!!!! keep up the good work!!! :)

angelbrat13 said...
on May. 11 2009 at 9:55 pm
i really liked it..it was touching and a lot said in a short time. keep writing! =)

on May. 11 2009 at 9:20 pm
SickImage SILVER, Klamath Falls, Oregon

The room was very quiet. I walked over to the TV set and turned it onto a dead channel-white noise at maximum decibels, a fine sound for sleeping, a powerful continuous hiss to drown out everything strange."

"...and the crusty remnants of sleep".

:]

on May. 9 2009 at 1:09 pm
xDarithz SILVER, Lowell, Massachusetts
Absolutely profound. This piece is really great! Can u read mine?

on May. 5 2009 at 8:39 pm
That was awesome

miawrites said...
on Aug. 14 2008 at 6:48 pm
The title of your story really caught my eye. I love it when people take the time to come up with good titles. And though your story's really short, I really liked it. It's sort of striking.

I'm sorry I don't have much critique. I'm not a professional, just an aspiring author like yourself. But anyway, great job!