Nightmare to More | Teen Ink

Nightmare to More

November 17, 2011
By EllieJG BRONZE, San Jose, Idaho
EllieJG BRONZE, San Jose, Idaho
1 article 0 photos 2 comments

I awoke abruptly. I was suddenly scarred forever, though I realized it was nothing but a bunch of images that had appeared in my head during my sleep. I would never forget what I had just seen and the way I felt. Why did I let myself take it this far? Why do I hate them so much?


I got up, and went to the bathroom to look at myself in the mirror. I needed to make sure I wasn’t still in the dream. As I entered the bathroom, the familiar smell of dove soap, and overused deodorant entered my lungs. Then, I heard the familiar gush of water from the faucet as I washed my hands, I finished and finally and sadly, all I saw and felt was my regular self, a tall red haired boy with lots and lots of freckles. This sight caused a very different feeling within me. I was not only angry but in a way scared at the same time. I guess I was angry that my dream wasn’t a happy one, and it caused me stress. Yet, I was not exactly sure why I was scared. I guess it was like a fear that my dream wasn’t just a dream, and that it might become reality. It was a tingly feeling that I didn’t know what to do with, so I decided to ignore it and get ready for my day. I left for school at approximately seven o’clock, and as soon as I got there, I went straight for my coach’s office.

“I know I’ve asked this like a million times, but when is our game scheduled for?” I asked my coach.

He rolled his eyes and sat down, “this Thursday.”

“Really? It’s that soon? But that’s only three days away!”

“Yes, and I know your worried, but relax, it’s just a game, and it doesn’t determine the rest of your life.”

“I know, but I feel like everyone is looking up to me.”

“I can understand why you feel like that, but I want you to realize that it’s not the end of the world if we lose, and you are still a great player, no matter what happens.”

What a dumb a**…yeah, like that was going to make me feel any better. What did he expect, for me to suck it up and not care anymore? Now, you have to realize that would never happen because first of all, I am like the most competitive person in the world, and second I am not a suck up, and couldn’t care less what his opinion is of me, as long as we win.

Winning is like the center of the world for me, and even having a thought in my brain that we might lose scared me. Winning is like an obsession of mine, and way too overvalued, but I can’t overcome it, and am thoroughly depressed whenever I lose. Maybe this is the reason why I was scared when I woke up this morning, maybe this is the reason, and after all it’s only three days away.