Monster

By HeartMindSoul GOLD, Port Aransas, Texas
HeartMindSoul GOLD, Port Aransas, Texas

Anger boils inside me as I feel the urge to break something, make it hurt or feel as broken and incomplete as I do.

I claw frantically at the mask plastered to my face, but it is too late. The mask of what I have become is fused, glued to my face by pretension, disfiguring who I am. Behind it lies my imagination, my sensitivity and even my fear.

When I glance at my reflection, I see a stranger. Staring back at me from the death cold mirror are two large, frightened eyes that I claim as mine. But they are set in the face of a monster, who consumes me slowly from the inside out.

I long to feel the weight and tension of the mask lifted, but then, without this mask of horror, I am nothing. I have no power, no charm, no women throwing themselves at my feet. But is that really what makes me happy? Or maybe this is why I train myself not to think? For when I do, it brings unhappiness.

There comes a knock on the bathroom door that shatters my panic.

"Katie, you in here?"

Slowly, my hands drop from my face as I gaze into the mirror. I give the monster a forced smile. Something is wrong. Tenderly, I bring my hands up and readjust the mask. Image is all I have.

"I'm coming, Kayla"

I really hope you don't relate, but I know some of you can.

Harebelle GOLD said...
on Aug. 17 2011 at 2:18 pm
Harebelle GOLD, Vancouver, Other
This is so good! I'm surprised no one has commented! It's really meaningful, and seems very realistic. Keep writing! 

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!