Musician

The church is bare. The desolate pews groan silently beneath the weight of the impatient ghosts. They shake their feet, wiggle their toes and twiddle their thumbs, waiting for something to happen. Soft white light flows and flutters around us, within us; bounces back from every solid surface, strokes our glowing faces tenderly.

Oh, if only the ghosts could see.

But somehow, I know they can hear their surroundings talk.

The shiny stage sighs with each footstep. The mahogany bench curses as the musician seats himself. The grand piano greets him warmly.

I can hear everything. I can hear the lights breathe and the floor twinkle. Everything has suddenly come to life in this empty place.

But he can't see me.

He strokes the keys affectionately. They are porcelain. He must be gentle so as not to break them.

Music swirls in the air. The winking lights twinkle brighter, shine louder. The windows smile. The walls block the beauty from being released into a most tainted atmosphere.

No, that would ruin everything.

The piano's sweet sound swells and envelops me in warmth and comfort. I turn green with envy and jealousy, blush scarlet with affection.

The ghosts bow their heads in reverence to the musician, in prayer. They are silent, eerily still, absorbing the music. They become solid. They are given new life, born again to walk among the living.

I myself stand alone in the corner of the chapel. I breathe the music,

Feel it flow through me like a warm summer breeze.

It ends.

The musician stands and bows to who he thinks is no one.

The ghosts give him a standing ovation.

He stands upright, tears rolling down his olive face.

In that instant,
I am in love.

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 11, 2011 at 11:11 pm:
This. Is. Amazing. I love the diction you used. It was so perfect for the tone of the piece. The fact that it was in present tense also led to a very calm and thoughtful story, and I could feel as well as see everything you described. I love music, so I know exactly what you mean, though I'm not sure I would have been able to describe it so wonderfully. You've done a great job with this! :)

Melliana replied...
Jul. 12, 2011 at 7:57 pm :
Thanks! :)

CarrieAnn13This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 11, 2011 at 10:07 pm:
This is a great desription of an empty place filled with the beauty of music!  I like how you mention the ghosts too.  Usually I can find a spelling or grammar mistake in someone's work, but I can't find a single one in your work.  Excellent job!

Melliana replied...
Jul. 12, 2011 at 7:58 pm :
Thanks for the compliments! As far as grammar goes, I'm an English major. I cannot STAND when someone uses grammar incorrectly. I can't bring myself to do it, even when writing informally. It's the biggest pet peeve I have.