Home Is... | Teen Ink

Home Is...

By AllieK92 BRONZE, Niles, Michigan
AllieK92 BRONZE, Niles, Michigan

Nothing lasts forever, so live it up, drink it down, laugh it off, avoid the b.s., take chances & never have regrets, because at one point, everything you did was exactly what you wanted.

The song “Home is Where the Heart is” was written by the group Lady Antebellum in 2008. When I think about what home is I think of this song. The chorus says “Mama said home is where the heart is; When I left town; I made it all the way to West Virginia; And that’s where my heart found; Exactly where I’m supposed to be; It didn’t take much time; It’s just south of the Mason Dixon line; It’s just south of the Mason Dixon line”. I believe home is where the heart is but it isn’t that alone. You need to have friends and family around you or close enough to you as well. You also need to have other things that make you genuinely happy. Home is where you feel you belong when you are there and when you are away it is where you want to be.

Home is where I belong, it is Michigan and it is the country. It is where my family and friends are. It is where I grew up and made tons of memories. It is a part of me and it always will be. I do believe though, home is not just the physical location it is where you are happy and content with yourself and life, most of the time at least. Like I said home is out in the country. There is a song called “Where the Blacktop Ends” by Keith Urban. Just the title makes me think of home. I live on a dirt road and I couldn’t imagine living in the city or even a road that was paved because more people would drive on it than what do now.

Home is where I am able to listen to any music I want whenever I want. Music helps me think and concentrate. When I am listening to music I am usually at peace, depending on the genre, that is. Home is so much and a lot of it I can’t put it into words. Being at home makes me happy and I feel like I belong there; it is where my family and my animals are. Home is complex but at the same time it is so simple… it is happiness, sadness, fun, boring but it takes a lot to make all of these things, including hard work. “Home is where the heart is” is not the only place where I believe home is. I love home and miss it when I am away but when I return it is so relaxing. Home is those late night staying up with my parents and/or friends just hanging out, talking, watching T.V. and relaxing. Home is where I feel I belong. ?