Fall In Indiana | Teen Ink

Fall In Indiana

It’s fall in Indiana and I’m approaching the high school doors. There is a crisp chill in the air, one that I wait for in anticipation every year. I have a fleece jacket on and my nose is cold. I walk slowly, savoring the sweet smell of autumn in the air. It’s a Saturday morning and no one is here. I hear my feet hitting the cement at a slow but steady pace as I come closer and closer to the three sets of doors that await me. It’s quiet except for the faint sound of the crisp rustling leaves falling in the chilled air. I decide to go through the far left doors; they always seem to be open. I walk through the athletic entrance, where I am most of the time, and continue on through the empty darkened hallways. It’s peaceful and quiet as my feet “clip-clap” on the hard, shiny floor. I go past a few classrooms that hold countless memories of boring lectures, laughter with friends, and challenges every day of the school year. I start walking a little faster; it’s a big school. I go past a row of lockers and think of the many complications that I’ve had with them, only completing the high school experience. I keep walking through the hall, which now becomes carpet and my foot steps sound deeper. I bring my mind back to freshman year where these same hallways that I now know like the back of my hand, seemed like never ending mazes. Every day was a struggle to find my way around, and now it was the same old, same old. I’m warming up now and I take my jacket off, knowing that I am going to be putting it back on when I go out the doors that I am now approaching. I get closer and closer, passing a few more lockers, a few more classrooms, reminiscing on a few more memories as I find the corners of my mouth turning up into a smile. I get to the doors and push them open as a gust of autumn wind hits my bare arms. As anticipated I put my warm, cozy jacket back on and I’m on my way.

on Dec. 9 2021 at 4:28 pm
WolfGurl PLATINUM, Not A Real Place, Indiana

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened. –Anatole France.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. –Josh Billings

Men are from Earth, women are from Earth. Deal with it.- George Carlin

A nation that destroys its soils destroys itself. Forests are the lungs of our land, purifying the air and giving fresh strength to our people. —Franklin D. Roosevelt

Never lose. Either win, or learn. - Me

I like how you discribe things in this! Also, it's seems so thoughtful! Just want to add I live in Indiana too and your discretion of the crisp air is perfect. It's hard to discribe, but the air is always just so... Yeah, crispy (In the fall)