Ice Age | Teen Ink

Ice Age

January 6, 2010
By Joseph Profancik BRONZE, Crestwood, Kentucky
Joseph Profancik BRONZE, Crestwood, Kentucky
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

It had happened many times before but I never thought I would see one. There cold, disastrous, troubling times and you humans call them, Ice Ages. It took many of my friends like the sloth, saber-toothed tiger, and mammoths, well, all except me. I remember looking at the frozen trees overflowing with snow. I never knew that the world could become so dead, so lifeless. This is how it all started.


I was with my pack walking in 15 foot deep snow. We thought there would be food where we always got it, but boy were we wrong. The forest that was now a white, lifeless place once teemed with life and happiness. My leader of the herd said there would be food some place else. Many of us were doubtful including me but still we pressed on.




Along the way the weather got worse and the herd got smaller. Pretty soon it was just me, my best friend and the herd leader. Everyone one of us were weak, tired, and dyeing slowly. Just when we thought the worst was gone a burst of wind pushed our feet across snow and ice. I looked at my pack leader and saw the anticipation in his eyes. The snow fell harder and faster. I started to panic when I couldn’t see. For two hours I endured the gruesome weather with my herd for another 2 I did not.


I woke up under a blanket of snow scared and alone. I slowly picked up my frozen, aching body any the snow releases me from its grip. I look around for my herd, they are no where to be found. But I did notice something the sun that I had not seen for almost 2 years. I take a good look around and the snow and Ice that once torture me was melting! I felt a kind of hope in my stomach and I pressed on as I would if I was in my herd. The first thing that came to my mind was food and water. I knew that I defiantly needed water. I walked for nearly 3 miles when I found a cave. I saw water that had dripped in and food that had been growing. I quickly ate, and survived.