Don't Hang On Too Long | Teen Ink

Don't Hang On Too Long

By jordan_b BRONZE, Universal City, Texas
jordan_b BRONZE, Universal City, Texas

She walked out of the hospital room in anger, agony, and hopelessness. She wasn’t sure she should do, where she should go. She felt empty and like a zombie walking out of a graveyard. She couldn’t even wrap her mind around the fact that he wouldn’t be here anymore. That she would never feel his hand on hers ever again. Why hadn’t she been able to be there when he needed her the most? He had stood by her by her side when she needed it.

She received the call two days ago. He was on his way back from Iraq. He had been in a terrible black hawk accident and was badly injured. He would have less than a week. She had raced to the hospital, and waited until he got there. When he got there, she barely even recognized him. He had so many things connected to him. His heart was racing, according to the rapidly beeping machine next to him. The doctors and nurses were trying to talk to her, but all she could do was stare at him, and try to understand what was happening. She knew in her heart he would be gone soon, because she could already feel her heart turning to emptiness and darkness.

When she got outside, she felt nothing except the bitter coolness nipping at her face. As the first tear trickled down her face, she broke into and desperate sob, then an unruly run. She knew she wasn’t in any shape to drive, so she got in the back seat of her car and laid there until morning, unable to sleep. Her body felt as if an elephant lay on it. Her eyes were red and puffy, and her throat was swollen and felt clogged. Someone knocked on her window, so she looked up wearily and saw her friend’s sympathetic face looking back at her. She opened the door and asked what she wanted. She just said, “Come on, I’ll drive you home.” She didn’t really give me the option, just shoved me into her car, and said, “I’m so sorry. ” That was the moment she knew she would get past all of it. Her friends would be there to support her for as long as she needed them. Then she asked, ”Can I go see him one last time?” Her friend nodded and said she’d be waiting in her car. When she got to his room, a tear sprang to her eyes. She sat down beside him, and took his hand. She leaned down and whispered in his ear, with a thick emotional voice, “I love you so much. I wish it wasn’t like this, but I know it has to be. So goodbye.”