The Campfire's Flames | Teen Ink

The Campfire's Flames

By 1farley SILVER, Delafield, Wisconsin
1farley SILVER, Delafield, Wisconsin

I sit below the brilliant twinkle of the Michigan night sky, speckled by the unknown. As I reminisce in the joy of stargazing, a miniature speck contrasting the night sky zooms overhead. Although small from the view of my tattered tent I know not to underestimate the magnificent spectacle it is. As I sit envisioning the waxing moon and its accompanying offspring of light, a sudden break in the ambience of the outdoors catches my attention. 

As I begin to leave my tiny tent like a nomad searching for his next encampment, I begin to take in the aromatic smell of a smoky campfire. When I opened the hanging doors of my tent, I am fully immersed into the melodic roar of the blaze. As I tread across the green canopy that cushions the soil below, warm air dilutes the cold chill of fall and the bright glow of orange and yellow reflects from my eyes like a glass mirror. 

Organized around the crackling flames in a tight circle, I can see my family enjoying a multitude of fluffy white marshmallows. As my palette is enticed by the tasty treat, I seat myself upon a rock jutting from the earth like a mini mountain. The intense heat creates a nostalgic tingle upon my face as the fire roars in my direction. With my grubby little hands I reach into a plastic bag and pull out one of the fluffy desserts. When I begin to scour the thicket for a stick to accompany my marshmallow, my cousin thankfully passes over a narrow metal rod in my direction. As I clasp the metallic stick I examine it and then push it through the center of the wispy white marshmallow. As I dangle the marshmallows over the fire like bait for a fishing rod, my prize catch is interpreted into the form of a golden crust that encases the gooey center. To complete my camping concoction I place the marshmallow into a crisp casing of gingerbread and with each bite I hope that I never have to leave this place.

My family sits in silence, leaving only the sounds of the unknown to pass through our campsite. The whispers of the wind chatter in my ears like a bedtime story and immerses me into this unforgettable experience. I look deep into the lively expressions that surround me, as I only see pure enjoyment and happiness I wonder why I would want to be anywhere else.

This peice was inspired by the setting of a campfire surrounded by family, it includes the nature aspects aswell as the feeling of warmth being surrounded by the people you love.