Lamb to the Slaughter | Teen Ink

Lamb to the Slaughter

December 15, 2016
By itis_rebecca BRONZE, New City, New York
itis_rebecca BRONZE, New City, New York
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

They didn’t know that I was still there. Trapped in my frozen chambers awaiting to see daylight. I was all but a forgotten idea, one that would appear with a burst of inspiration, only to be shot down by the nearby listener. He was like a judge with a gavel, the decider of my fate. He was the overseer, controlling his servant with a swift wafter of his hand.


I never knew something was wrong.The servant always obeying her orders: “Mary”, he would say, summoning her. It seemed as if life was normal, but I was just a simple bystander to the dethronement of the emperor. I sat and listened to another servant heed the orders of the emperor, and then I knew something had changed. Deep down I knew something had changed, but it never occurred to me how life of the kingdom would be affected, until a few months later.


The lively mood had changed as the clocked ticked. Tick. Tick. Tick. I was wrapped in my bedding awaiting for the arrival of the emperor. Hopefully, I prayed, this would be the day I was set free. Oh, how I wish my prayers weren’t answered.
Darling. That's what she called him. Though his tone of voice was off, no it wasn’t his job that was stressful, or that his old age was the cause of this.(Honestly it seemed as if he was gonna fall over any day. I mean he was fifty years old, and that’s old!) But no, it wasn’t that.  It was much greater. I held my breath as he spoke.


"But I've thought about it a good deal and I've decided the only thing to do is tell you right away. I hope you won't blame me too much.” He spoke briefly.


‘No!’ I wanted to yell. ‘Don’t do this!’ but my mouth was tied shut. Being banned from speaking years ago, I became accustomed to the voice in my head. It gets a little annoying after a while.


  I held my breath waiting for the servant to revolt but I heard nothing. Nothing, but the sound of footsteps. Soft footsteps. That is when my door creaked open.
Quiet at first, the creek echoing off the walls as the servant stared down at me. ‘Mary’ I wished to sooth her, but her emotionless face stared down at me. Was this a staring contest to show her strength? She didn’t have to show it, since I knew quite well of her powers, and how they far surpassed the emperor’s. She was a strong independent woman who didn’t need a man in her life.


Her hands reached out and grabbed me, strangling me. ‘Mary!’ I wished to yell. She dragged me from my champers. Was this the day she set me free? Yes! Wait...No… No!
With each pounding step she took, she caused an earthquake in the foyer and tsunamis to rise. She raised me higher. ‘Stop this Mary! You know  this isn't right!’ I wanted to yell, to warn him. It was too late: My body was past the point of return and Gravity took hold. My frozen body crashed into the soft flesh of his neck.  The emperor’s body went limp, and mine was rigged. He was dead. And I killed him. How could I have killed him? I’m just a bystander! I-I did nothing wrong I swear! It was an accident.


‘Mary! Why!?’ I wished to yell, but her beady eyes stared down at me as if I had planned this. Moving slower this time she walked into the kitchen and threw me back into my chambers. No… No this wasn’t my chambers, maybe a wrong room?  Maybe the death was too traumatic, and she forgot where I belonged? No… that wasn’t it…


The temperature began to rise, and sweat dripped from my body. She was… try to kill me. I know too much. I had taken a part in this murder. Now she wished to murder me. A simple bystander.


‘Help!’ I wished to yell, clawing at the door, but it wouldn't budge. I heard stomping from the other side, one. No two!... No! Three! Wait... No! Do my ears deceive me?! It was five! Five men!  ‘Help! She killed him! She killed him’ My fist rammed against the door again and again, weaker each time until it was a dull tap. A dull tap quieter than the sound of a ninety year old attempting to tap dance. And the heat! Oh the heat was far too much for me and this shriveling body.
I wasn’t going to last long for the air was too hot that it to breathe and burn with every inhale. With each dulling breath with pain spread through my body as if I was being cooked alive. ’She….killed...him…’  I gasped, turning over to stare into the bright red lines on the ceiling as the dark walls radiated the heat onto the wired floor underneath me.  The corns of my vision were growing black, the guilt was sinking  into my chest. They will never know the true murderer. I took my last breath. It's a shame, that all I was to her, was a lamb to the slaughter.


The author's comments:

This was inpsired by Roald Dahl's Lamb to the Slaughter, such an amazing piece was able to inspire me to look at the story in new light.