Helena | Teen Ink

Helena

By geekgrrl SILVER, Ellicott City, Maryland
geekgrrl SILVER, Ellicott City, Maryland

I had smiled, smiled so brightly on their wedding day. So joyous had I been, being married along with the Duke and my dearest friend. Surely the faerie had given me such a great blessing, to sway Demetrius's heart so. And it had been wonderful. On our honeymoon, even several months after. We were happy on his estate. Or so I thought. I was so wrong to trust those fae folk, so misled.

You see, as the months went by, my love changed. He had a peculiar light in his eyes. I wasn't allowed outside of the estate without him as my escort, and then I wasn't allowed outside the grounds at all. I was with child at the time, so I thought it normal, he wanted to keep the child safe. So I stayed in the courtyard, oblivious and humming as I picked flowers in the garden.

When the child was born, it was immediately taken away from me. I know I heard it cry, I did. But it was deemed stillborn. My husband came up to me, that mad glint in his eye, so different from before, and said, “I want to have to all to myself, don't you understand.” At first I thought I misheard, that he was simply trying to make me feel better. Now I know I was wrong, and foolish to keep myself so ignorant for so long. He started to fire the help, sending all of the male workers away after one smiled and talked to me.

My husband's words grew harsher, and the glint of madness had grown. I was no longer allowed outside, though I was kept in the finest luxury. He brought me fresh flowers every day, until you could hardly walk through my room for the flowers. That's when I began to fear his visits. The number of rooms I was allowed to visit grew smaller and smaller. He said her wanted to “keep me all to himself, stop any other from drinking in my beauty”.

Then he made everybody leave. He said he would clean for me, and cook. I am no longer allowed to leave the very quarters I now sit in. I fear dI shall never leave, locked in as I am. What will become of me? I write this now so that, maybe my husband will read it. And he will understand, and shake off this curse of the fickle fae. If it doesn't...there is no doubt. I will not get out of here. I will stay, cursed by a love that was once so warm and fine, now cold bars around my flesh.

This was written a little after I first read A Midsummer Nights Dream. Yeah, it worked out, but I never really liked how Demetrius got stuck being a victim of the love juice forever. Such strong infatuation forever could cause a lot of trouble.

on Feb. 27 2011 at 11:35 am
Mr.Mysterious BRONZE, Danville, Indiana

It's time to nut up or shut up.

This was really good, an interesting ending to a story that wasn't too similiar. I really liked it.

on Feb. 21 2011 at 7:20 am
carilloony GOLD, Sterling, Virginia

"To love another person is to see the face of God."

Great job!!

on Nov. 25 2010 at 11:54 am
sabina22 BRONZE, Glen Mills, Pennsylvania
I really appreciated reading this! I actually do believe that it could happen; after all at the time the fey were believed to be mischievous, misled, and have an evil streak. Haha this could definitely be the epilogue of A Midsummer Night's Dream. Keep writing, and definitely keep up the great work! =)))

Thank you so much for the input!

Well, I've read the play and seen the movie once, and (being the reader of lots of dark fantasy) figured that a faerie magic is something that goes wrong frequently, no matter what good will is put behind it. ESPECIALLY when it pertains to human emotions. I don't think this is something the bard would have added, it just seemed an interesting way to twist things. (and I had to do an essay on an alternate ending to the play for english class last year)

on Aug. 11 2010 at 9:18 am
writerfluid SILVER, Tempe, Arizona

Greater good? I am your wife. I am the greatest good you are ever gonna get!

This is really good writing!  However, I don't really think it should be between Helena and Demetrius.  I've seen Midsummer Night's Dream twice, and it just doesn't really make sense for the story to go this way.  Or was that your goal?  If so, sorry.  Again, This is very interesting and very good writing.  Just maybe do it with different people.  Keep writing-you are very talented.

on Dec. 12 2009 at 7:45 am
Thanks so much!

Rachie_P. GOLD said...
Rachie_P. GOLD, Virginia Beach, Virginia

don't spend your life hiding from the monsters under your bed> go out and enjoy life to the fullest

woah that was, like..... woah it was really good and very unpredictable. i like it