Summer Storm: A Twilight Continuation / Spin-Off Ch. 3 | Teen Ink

Summer Storm: A Twilight Continuation / Spin-Off Ch. 3

By Robsessed PLATINUM, McKinney, Texas
Robsessed PLATINUM, McKinney, Texas

"I may be changed by what happens to me, but I refuse to be reduced by it." - Maya Angelou

"Did you know 'I told you so' has a brother, Jacob?" she asked cutting me off. "His name is 'Shut the hell up.'" - Bella Swan, Breaking Dawn

Summer

The moment I began running against the wind instead of with it I took a cautionary breath. The air was clean; well it was human free anyway. I inhaled more deeply to get a better sense of my surroundings. My head cleared and I was able to focus my thoughts better. I needed to hunt; the never-ending burn in my throat was fast becoming all consuming. There was absolutely no way I could afford to run into him again, or any other human for that matter.

The woods I was in had an abundance of deer and other game. I could smell the scent. At the moment animal blood did not hold any appeal to me, not that it ever really did, but especially not now after having smelled the most delicious "flavor" of blood.

Oh, why did my memory for my vampire life have to become flawless from the moment I was "reborn"? It was pure torture being able to clearly recall his scent; it was a perfect blend of raspberries, honeysuckle, and... And rain! Ahhh... Enough! Stop it already Summer.

I forced myself to tune out my thoughts and let my senses take control. My muscles relaxed. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. A hundred yards east of my location there was a herd of deer gathered at a watering hole. I climbed up the nearest branch and jumped from tree to tree until I was right above the herd.

Just then a different scent overrode the deer. Luck was on my side for it was a mountain lion. I sniffed the air again to pin point the lion's exact location. There wasn't just one, but two! I smiled in anticipation, my teeth dripping with venom, as I closed in on my prey.

The female tensed on her rock as she caught my scent in the trees. Animals don’t particularly care for us and they usually make a bee-line for cover. The lioness locked eyes with me and let out a loud roar of indignation for encroaching on her territory. I let loose with a warning growl of my own making sure to let my prey see my glistening, sharp teeth. When the lioness was poised for attack I jumped from the branch I was crouching on and crashed into the lioness knocking us both to the ground. There was no struggle; the animal didn't stand a chance against me. I'm young, not even a year old. During the first year, vampires are at their peak in physical strength because human blood lingers in the body.

When I had drained the carcass dry I turned my attention to its mate. I didn’t waste time with the male mountain lion, I wasn’t in the mood for playing cat and mouse.

The burn in my throat had eased considerably, but I was still thirsty. Well, the thirst never really faded, but it was the kind of thirst that told me I wasn’t full yet. So, once again, I found the deer herd and made quick work of the buck and the closest doe. One could never be too satiated, but I wouldn't need to hunt again for awhile.

The sun had begun its ascent and I knew it was close to dawn. I needed to get back to the house before the others started their day. As I ran home I fought to organize my thoughts, for all the good it will do me. Edward will know. He'll read it my thoughts. To my utter frustration I haven't been able to perfect the art of concealing my thoughts from him, which you would think I could since we share the same ability. Well, half anyway... ???!!!!!??? ... I never heard him, or rather his thoughts. How was that possible?! I had to talk to my family.

*************************

When I ran by Edward, Bella, and Renesmee's cottage I could hear Renesmee steadily breathing. She was sleeping soundly, dreaming of that...wolf. I shook my head --- I didn't have time to question her sanity for her choice in mates at the moment. I called to Edward in my thoughts; asked him and Bella to meet me in the house. I needed to talk to everyone.

Then I charged up the steps of the house and unceremoniously slammed into Emmett who had wrenched the door open unexpectedly. The force of the collision would have killed me on impact if I were human. Emmett is strong; stronger, and bigger, than normal vampire strong. I was only able to keep from flying backwards because of my newborn strength. As it were, I was knocked back towards the steps where I teetered on the edge, flailing my arms like an idiot, before I regained my balance. It wasn't very vampiric of me at all.

Emmett's whole body shook with laughter --- loudly.

"It's - not - funny!" I growled at him between my teeth. This only made him laugh harder. Urghh! I'll show him what's funny.

"Sum-mer." Alice warned in her "don't even think about crossing me" voice.

Damn her visions anyway! Alice can see the future and sometimes like now, when I really, really wanted to wipe that smirk off Emmett's face, it annoyed me to no end. Her visions constantly change though because the future isn't completely predictable; it's based on the decisions people make.

Edward and Bella walked in the still gaping door then and I turned to acknowledge their arrival, effectively causing me to change my mind. There would be time for teaching lessons later. I smiled. I didn't even get a chance to open my mouth to speak before Edward started to lecture me, again. Sigh.

"You could have killed that boy Summer! Why did you let yourself get that close? How many times do we have to warn you to not go so far by yourself?" He lectured sternly.

I assumed his questions were rhetorical, so I didn't bother to answer.

"Edward," I said stretching his name out into two syllables. "You worry too much. If you're not careful you'll have permanent wrinkles etched in your forehead."

I could tell he did not appreciate my sarcasm by the frown that appeared on his face. I huffed at his seriousness.

Despite my irritation at constantly being lectured and my control questioned, I knew his concern was genuine. I also knew that he was right. My recent encounter with Max had been irresponsible and not to mention dangerous.

"I know, okay? It was stupid of me to get so close. But I thought he might have been hurt. And then..." I trailed off as I saw Max's face in my mind's eye and recalled his scent. I shook my head to dispel the memory.

"But that's not important right now," I continued as I waved my hand in the air, reducing its importance.

"Not important!" Edward exclaimed.

"What's not important?" Renesmee asked as she skipped into the room and came to a halt by my side.

"I'll tell you about it later," I promised.

Her face scrunched up in annoyance. Ugh! I hate being left out, she thought.

"I'm not excluding you Renesmee. There's just more to the story that I can't figure out," I said in response to her unspoken thought.

"Sure sure. Well, what is it then?"

It took everything I had not to roll my eyes at her use of “sure sure.” She’d pick that up from Jacob.

"Really; you couldn't hear his thoughts, at all?" Edward announced at the same time Renesmee spoke.

"Why must you always do that?" I complained. I hate when he spoils my secrets. He does it all the time, unintentionally I know, but still you'd think Edward would be able to control himself. I mean he's a 110 for goodness sake! That's pretty much ancient these days.

He grimaced. "Sorry," he said, instantly contrite. "But I don't think I've quite reached that status yet, I'm only 17 and that's younger than you." He laughed.

Whatever, I thought. Then I mentally stuck my tongue out at him not caring one bit how childish I seemed. He chuckled.

"Could he be a shield like me?" Bella asked bringing the conversation back to the matter at hand.

"Maybe," he said. I could see the wheels turning in his mind.

God, I wish I could read his mind! Why did my ability have to be limited to humans? I sulked.

I can read Renesmee's mind because she is half human. She can show you her thoughts simply by touching you as if you're watching a movie and apparently no one can keep her out, since the theory is that her gifts are the reversals of Edward and Bella's. I can read her mind, but for me to actually see them we have to be touching. I can read her boyfriend's mind too --- to my extreme misfortune.

Jacob Black is constant thorn in my side. For one thing, he's a werewolf. Well, technically he's a shapeshifter, but that’s beside the point, and he as well as some of the other Quilliuetes can transform into wolves when vampires are around or they when they feel threatened. So I can read his thoughts, at least I can when he is in his human form, because he's half human too. For another thing, his stench is revolting at best; a natural born enemy thing apparently. Jacob does have Renesmee's best interest in mind, he basically lives to make her happy, but his thoughts are loud and there are just some things I don’t want to know. Personally, I don’t know how Edward stands it. Finally, Jacob finds pleasure in annoying the hell out of me. I wish he'd just stay a wolf forever so I don't have to hear his thoughts or stupid remarks.

"Whose mind can the newbie not read?" Jacob asked as he sauntered into the house like he owned the place.

Well, thinking of the devil. Urrgghhh, I really didn't like that nickname! If I could read both Renesmee and the dog's thoughts and every other human in Forks for that matter, why couldn't I read Max’s? I hate not knowing; it bugs me to no end.

"None of your business, dog, er, Jacob," I quickly corrected before Renesmee could get her chastisement out. “Besides, don’t you have anything better to do like jumping off a cliff or something?”

"Summer met someone earlier, a human, and she couldn't read his mind!" Renesmee exclaimed.

Does she have to tell him everything, all the time?!

"There isn't any room for secrets in this family Summer." Edward said in response to my unspoken thought.

"And Jacob is a part of this family." Bella reminded me.

"Really, I hadn't heard." I rolled my eyes to accentuate my sarcasm. "Well, I've said my piece, so if we're all done here I'm going up to my room."

I flew up the stairs to my room on the third floor, Edward's old room before he and Bella got married, and slammed the door. I knew I was being dramatic, but I didn't care. I'm sick to death (no pun intended) of being talked at instead of with, of being told how to live my life, existence, whatever you want to call it. I grabbed my journal from the bookshelf, flopped onto my bed, got my iPhone from my nightstand, put my earphones in, and blasted this new song I had heard on the radio called "Animal" by Neon Trees. The lyrics reminded me of him.

Here we go again
I kinda wanna be more than friends
So take it easy on me
I'm afraid you're never satisfied.
Here we go again
We're sick like animals
We play pretend
You're just a cannibal
And I'm afraid I won’t get out alive
No I won't sleep tonight.

Oh, oh
I want some more
Oh, oh
What are you waitin' for?
Say goodbye to my heart tonight.
Oh oh
I want some more
Oh oh
What are we waitin' for?
What are we waitin' for?
Say goodbye to my heart tonight.

Here we are again
I feel the chemicals kickin' in
It's gettin heavier
And I wanna run and hide
I wanna run and hide.
I do it every time
You're killin' me now
And I won't be denied by you
The animal inside of you.

Oh, oh
I want some more
Oh, oh
What are you waitin' for?
Say goodbye to my heart tonight.
Oh oh
I want some more
Oh oh
What are we waitin' for?
What are we waitin' for?
Say goodbye to my heart tonight.

Hush hush the world is quiet
Hush hush we both can't fight it
It's us that made this mess
Why can't you understand?
Woah I won't sleep tonight.
I won’t sleep tonight.

Here we go again
Here we go again
Here we go again

Oh, oh
I want some more
Oh, oh
What are you waitin' for?
Say goodbye to my heart tonight.
Oh oh
I want some more
Oh oh
What are you waitin' for?
What are you waitin' for?
Say goodbye to my heart tonight.

Here we go again
Here we go again
Here we go again

Say goodbye to my heart tonight.

Oh oh
I want some more
Oh oh
What are you waitin' for?
What are you waitin' for?
Say goodbye to my heart tonight.

I wrote for hours and hours listening to the song over and over until the fading light finally penetrated my senses. Looking my journal I saw that I had written his name across the pages. His face invaded my thoughts and I sighed at his gorgeousness. I really wanted to see him again though I dared not think it for fear that Edward would hear, and knowing him, he'll have asked Alice to keep an eye on my decisions too.

So I bided my time, thinking about everything but him, until the others were "otherwise occupied" and wouldn't be thinking of me anytime soon.

I quickly changed into a sweatshirt and jeans then jumped out the window. As soon as my feet touched the ground I took off like a rocket toward my beach, hoping he would be there again. It was wrong of me to want this, but want it I did.

At first when I didn't see anyone I felt this strange sense of grief. He isn't here. I should be glad because if he isn't here then I can't hurt him, but I'm not glad. It feels like a piece of me is missing. I don't like it.

I decided to wait a while to see if he would come again, so I scaled the
Evergreen beside me and settled onto a low branch just out of sight. Eyes closed, I let my mind replay the night before. He probably thought I was a complete freak and a rude one to boot. It couldn't be helped though because his fragrance was so delicious I would have done something stupid for sure if I’d let myself stay any longer! His scent was still fresh in my mind because even now I could smell the "taste" of him. My mouth was watering just thinking about it. I licked my lips. Ahhhh, I sighed. It was almost as if he were standing right in front of me, the memory was so strong! Too strong to simply be in my head, actually! My eyes scanned the immediate area. I saw him then, realizing that I had been so consumed with thoughts of him that I hadn't noticed when my memories had become reality, and he was close. His scent was wrecking havoc with my senses and my thoughts. But the hole no longer felt empty; he was here.

I decided to just watch him as I knew his eyes couldn't see me in the dark, especially at such a distance.

"Hey!" He shouted.

I panicked. Was he talking to me? My muscles tensed.

Then I noticed the other person, now walking away from him, and I relaxed, but there was something off.

"I haven't had time to find out anything. Hufflepuff, Jor! I've only been here for 24 hours." Max exclaimed, rather heatedly.

The Jor person stopped and turned to face Max. He looked surprised and a bit angry. I wondered who this guy was and how he knew Max. "Wait! What are you talking about? You've been gone for a month, Max."

"I would think I would know if I'd been gone a month, Jor. I am an Intelligent in case you've forgotten."

The stranger's eyes narrowed to slits as he said, "Don't make me pull rank on you Max because I will. It would be wise for you to remember that Kal put me in charge of this mission while he's gone. And don't forget that I am a Hunter."

Max's whole body tensed in response. I felt my own body freeze as the veins in his muscles popped out. I dug my nails into the tree trunk to keep myself from acting spontaneously.

Not wanting to take any chances I cut off my air supply. It hit me then. I knew what had been off with that Jor guy; I couldn't read his mind either for one and he didn't have a scent.

I gasped. How was that even possible? Everyone had a unique scent.

Two pairs of eyes snapped in my direction.

"Take care of that." Jor commanded. “I’ll have the Brothers check into the time confusion. You'll be hearing from me soon," he warned. Then he was gone. The guy simply vanished. He disappeared, literally into thin air. I blinked and then blinked again. Jor was still gone and there was no evidence that he had ever even been there at all.

I heard Max climbing the tree. I could have left, but I didn't. Curiosity is my weakest link.

"Hello, Max." I said politely.

"How do you know my name?" He demanded with authority even as he faltered in his step.

"You told me." I replied. I was a bit disappointed. I would have thought he’d recognize my voice. I’d never forget his.

He looked confused. That infallible curiosity struck again and I really wished I could read his mind. I decided to enlighten him, so I moved into the moonlight.

"S-s-Summer," he stammered completely taken aback. Then with sorrow in his voice and what looked like guilt in his eyes he said, "I'm so sorry, but I have to do this. I don't have a choice. I promise it'll be quick."

Max raised his arm then and I saw a small silver object in his hand. I didn't move an inch. I wanted to know what he was going to do.

His arm snaked around my neck. He moved fast, I'll give him that, but only succeeded because I let him. Then he put the silver thing against my temple and pressed a button.

Nothing happened.

"I, I don't understand." The words stuck in his throat.

I took his arm, spinning around to face him, and twisted out of his grasp before he finished speaking.

"It doesn't make sense."

"Just what is it that doesn't make sense, Max? Start talking." I demanded.

"How - I didn't say anything!" Max exclaimed.

"Don't play dumb. You said, 'It doesn't make sense.' I heard you. Now tell me what you meant."

"But I didn't say it," he stubbornly said with a raised emphasis on the word say. How odd.

Then I realized that I was touching him. My hand still gripped his arm. I stared at our joined flesh then into his cerulean blue eyes. I could read his mind!

Max was freaked out. So I smiled at him hoping to ease his mind. It worked, I thought smugly as his thoughts focused solely on me. "She's so beautiful. And her smile is like an angel's."

His thoughts pleased me even though he was dead wrong about the angel part. An angel wouldn't have to exercise such extreme caution to keep her from killing him. This highly disturbed me. And that disturbed me even more.

I let go of his arm and my access to his mind was cut off. Edward would definitely be interested in this new development if he doesn’t have an aneurism when he finds out where I’ve been tonight. Max didn't have any thoughts of vampires in his head, so our secret was safe. Speaking of secrets...

"You never answered my question Max." I said suddenly.

"Huh?" He asked shaking his head in what I assumed was an effort to refocus his thoughts.

"Just what exactly happened back there? What happened to that Jor guy? Where did you come from and just who the hell are you?"

I tensed in anticipation as he took a deep breath and said...

Ch.3 of Summer Storm written in Summer's perspective. Any and all Twilight Saga related material or character names belongs to Stephenie Meyer. *dialogue is completely original* Please comment and rate and feel free to ask questions or check out my other work! Feedback is always nice - I'll be glad to return the favor.

on Oct. 7 2010 at 2:18 pm
Robsessed PLATINUM, McKinney, Texas

Ch. 4 is posted now

on Oct. 7 2010 at 2:16 pm
Robsessed PLATINUM, McKinney, Texas

Ch. 4 is posted now

on Oct. 7 2010 at 2:16 pm
Robsessed PLATINUM, McKinney, Texas

Yeah, so I got totally side tracked with other things, but Ch. 4 iis now posted.

on Aug. 15 2010 at 2:14 am
Robsessed PLATINUM, McKinney, Texas

my Character Description has been posted if you care to read it, especially if you aren't familiar with The Twilight Saga.

on Aug. 4 2010 at 3:25 pm
Robsessed PLATINUM, McKinney, Texas

well, the burning desire pretty much had to be on first sight or scent in this case because it wouldn't make sense if she had interacted with him and felt nothing then later on came into contact with him again and all of the sudden she was intoxicated by his scent.

and it may seem like they got to know each other, but Summer is rather straight forward and isn't afriad to get the answers she seeks.

on Aug. 1 2010 at 9:10 pm
Chinadoll BRONZE, Dallas, Texas
I LOVE it! Kinda weird to see the names in there though, but It feels different from Twilight. Also it kinda went fast on the getting to know each other thing and the problem with the burning desire

on Aug. 1 2010 at 5:12 pm
Robsessed PLATINUM, McKinney, Texas

Urrggh....just found a typo. In Summer Storm Edward is 115 in vampire years, not 110! I can't believe I missed that when I was editing.

on Jul. 31 2010 at 12:46 am
Robsessed PLATINUM, McKinney, Texas

I'm glad you like it. I'm gonna be writing like crazy this week and try to get a lot of stuff written instead of doing it as I go cause classes start on the 19th. It might be awhile before chapter 4 is posted, but I do have two more stories waiting to be approved.

on Jul. 31 2010 at 12:43 am
Robsessed PLATINUM, McKinney, Texas

I know. And I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to creating things and I really want it to be just right. I'm going to have lots of free time to write this week, so I'm hoping to get a few chapters written because classes start back on the 19th for me and I won't have much time.

on Jul. 30 2010 at 3:26 pm
taylorf463 GOLD, Marion, Kentucky

If he'll lie for you, he'll lie to you.

An ending was an ending. No matter how many pages of sentences and paragraphs of great stories let up to it, it would always had the last word.

I understand what you mean... I think it should go somewhere where it fits... Like Jasper's story fit in w/ the newborns and Alice's fit in w/ James. I reallyy like this!!!! I <3 twilight to tho, so... lol :)

on Jul. 30 2010 at 8:40 am
OfficialApprover PLATINUM, Orefield, Pennsylvania

Grab life by the balls. -Slobberknocker
We cannot change the cards we're dealt just how we play the hand
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted
It's pretty easy to be smart when you're parroting smart people
-Randy Pausch

This is amazing! Best chapter yet.  Very intriguing and well-written. Please write more soon!

on Jul. 27 2010 at 12:25 am
Robsessed PLATINUM, McKinney, Texas

thanks! Summer's background is already outlined in my head, but I just don't know when/how I want to incorporate it in the story.

on Jul. 26 2010 at 5:23 pm
taylorf463 GOLD, Marion, Kentucky

If he'll lie for you, he'll lie to you.

Yeah, make sure u include summer's 'story' in some of it because i'm wondering how she got here. And I love it! True cullen experiences! the thing not working, that was GREAT! I love this and i can't wait until you get more posted!!!!! :)

on Jul. 25 2010 at 10:51 pm
Robsessed PLATINUM, McKinney, Texas

thanks! Summer's background / transformation process will be explained in a future chapter. Alice wasn't really defending Emmett, but deterring Summer from losing focus on what was at hand, the whole situation with Max, because Alice had already seen why Summer wanted to talk to them.

the other Cullens will definitely be in future chapters, I just didn't write them in this one. Let's just say Carlisle was at work, Esme and Rosalie were busy decorating a separate house for Emmett and Rosalie, and Jasper was there, but being his normal quite self and therfore didn't say anything.

on Jul. 25 2010 at 10:41 pm
Just.A.Dream SILVER, Lake Geneva, Wisconsin

Part of the J7X team. :)

I'm getting even more interested than I was before! I love it and can't wait to read more!

on Jul. 24 2010 at 4:30 pm
DiamondsIntheGrass GOLD, Martinsville, New Jersey

Worry is simply a misuse of the imagination.

awesome idea!  but how did summer get into the story?  and wheres rosalie and jasper?  why is alice defending emmett?  you should definetly continue the story!