Summer Storm: A Twilight Continuation / Spin-Off Ch. 2

She was beautiful. I couldn't take my eyes off of her face, which was slightly elongated and rather perfectly sculpted. The girl was so still, however, I could have been looking upon a marble Venus. Her eyes, an unearthly mixture of topaz and onyx, drew me in for a closer look.

"Uh, hello," I said with a bit of caution.

I stared while I waited for her to reply in kind. She didn't respond. Her utter lack of response puzzled me. I was sure I spoke the correct greeting. I recalled that people in this sort of town enjoyed a sense of familiarity, so I introduced myself.

"I'm Max Storm. You are?" I questioned rather dazedly. She was very compelling, this girl, whose skin was as a pale as the snow.

"Uh, I'm new here," I added as an afterthought.

All I received in reply was more silence.

"I thought I didn't talk much," I mumbled under my breath. Her behavior completely went against the norm. I wanted to create friendships with the people in this town and everyone back home told me it would be easy. If the others were all like this girl I won’t accomplish that goal.

As I wrestled with thoughts of failure the clouds shifted suddenly and the rest of her frame was no longer hidden in the shadows. Blinking wasn’t necessary for my eyes to adjust to the light. My vision automatically corrected itself to the new conditions. I knew then that I had never seen her equal. This girl was one of a kind.

"You're very beautiful," I breathed.

Something in her expression changed as the wind kicked up around us.
Several emotions flitted across her face in the span of just a few seconds: shock; pain, or was it desire; anger; sadness; and finally, determination.

She held her hands in tight fists next to her body.

I felt only one thing, confusion. Had I offended her somehow? Was she waiting for an apology? If she is, she’ll be waiting a long time because I won’t offer her one as I meant what I said. She was beautiful and I could see in her eyes that it wasn’t just skin deep, which is a rarity back home.

Abruptly she turned her back to me and began walking stiffly, but yet somehow rather gracefully back the way she had first appeared.

"Wait! I don't even know your name. Please?" I called to her. Something inside told me that I had to find out her name.

She didn't turn towards me or even stop in acknowledgement of my desperate plea.

"Summer," she said with a voice that sounded like bells and wind chimes just as my shoulders started to slump in defeat.

The next thing I knew she had disappeared into the cover of the trees and was gone.

I stood rooted to the same spot for a long time. There were so many questions bouncing around inside my head. What had she been doing here, alone, so late at night? Why hadn't she spoken to me? Did she notice anything? Had I forgotten myself and let something slip? I clutched at thin air, but answers eluded me.

It was my responsibility to keep my true identity a secret from the people in this town. It's absolutely crucial no one finds out who I am or discovers my purpose for being in this place called Forks, Washington. I would be terminated
--- no questions asked --- if I were to expose or compromise my position.

I’ve had the misfortune of witnessing terminations before and I shivered involuntarily at the awful memories.

No, I didn't want to die. So I needed to find out if she knew anything, anything at all. If she did, well, I would just have to take care of things.

I cringed at the thought.

I saw her image in my mind as if she were still standing in front of me. In no way did my vision do Summer’s beauty justice. My greatest wish at the moment was for her to be safely in the dark about my mission.

Gradually, the night stars gave way to the rising sun, or at least the part that was visible through the overcast clouds.

I headed back to my ship, which I had stashed in a cavern close by the beach.

Home sweet home, at least, for the next six months anyway.

I crawled into my cocoon and zipped myself in for the night. I instantly received a mind relaxing tranquilizer from the cocoon’s equilibrium balancer, or healer. I’d had a long first day with many more still to come.

Thoughts slowly dissipated as my eyes grew heavy. Exhausted, I let the “healer” do its work and slowly drifted off to sleep.

All I had to do was find out where they existed; or if they even existed at all. Then I could go back home, or I guess I should say forward, since home was in the year 2090…

againstallodds said...
Question who is summer?

CheshireCat said...
was not expecting that but i read chapter 3 then one then two so i guess that was sor tof idiotic btw will u plz check out my work thanx can't wait till chapter 4

Robsessed replied...
thanks1 I'm going to try to write as many chapters as I can in the next week because classes start Thursday for me and I won't have much time to write for fun after the first week of classes. That way, I'll have a bunch to post. In the meantime, please check out some of my other work. My piece, The Intentionally Repulsive Life of Fred, was inspired by The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner.

Robsessed replied...
Ch. 4 is posted now

Robsessed said...
Aug. 15, 2010 at 2:14 am
my Character Description has been posted if you care to read it, especially if you aren't familiar with The Twilight Saga.

DiamondsIntheGrass This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
WOW. okay... wasnt expecting that.  but that is SWEET!  so cool! cant wait for the fourth one to come out (because i was stupid and read the third chapter first, then the first chapter and then this...)

Robsessed replied...
LOL. Thanks, I really appreciate the compliment. Ch. 4 is in the works. I've also got another vampire story in the works and a new short story series that I'm working on too.

Lexi-pex said...
Jul. 20, 2010 at 2:09 am
i certainly wasn't expecting the ending either. but now i need to read chapter 3!!

Robsessed replied...
thanks! chapter 3 is posted. i would love to know what you think.

Robsessed replied...
Ch. 4 is posted now

rosaliehale said...

um interesting. I liked it I just wasnt expecting time travel to be int the story

Robsessed replied...
please check out chapter 3 and let me know what you think.

chelseabelle said...
Wow this was really great!! I'm not sure if your remember my story, "The Moon" but if you do, you can check out the second part which just got posted!! Please read it and let me know what you think :) TeenInk.com/fiction/romance/article/230738/The-Moon-Part-2/

Robsessed replied...
Ch. 4 is posted now

mudpuppy said...
Jul. 17, 2010 at 10:47 am
I have to say that this chapter threw me off a bit. It was nothing like a suspect.  I'm not normally into vampires, but the ending to this made me want to read more. :)

Robsessed replied...
Thanks! It's always great to hear that a reader wasn't expecting something. There will be a lot more to come, but it might take a while cause I write as I go, not ahead of time. Ch.3 is currently in the editing process. And I'll definitely check out your stuff.

Robsessed replied...
ch. 3 is posted. I would love to know what you think.

LeeAnn1996 said...
Jul. 16, 2010 at 12:47 am

This was so awesome.I loved it even more than the first.

Robsessed replied...
thanks, I'm partial to it myself. LOL

Robsessed replied...
ch. 3 has been posted. please read and comment.