The Aftermath of Conspiracy | Teen Ink

The Aftermath of Conspiracy

November 30, 2018
By 540111_CUHSD BRONZE, Campbell, California
540111_CUHSD BRONZE, Campbell, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

After coming into his home, Tom Buchanan walked on his

wine-colored rug along the frosted wedding cake of a ceiling and though the white halls he heard his wife, Daisy Buchanan crying as if death itself haunted her dreams took all that was dear to her. As Tom moved towards the shattered tears of Daisy’s crying, he decided to change his clothing for supper afterwards. He approached the door of Daisy’s room and said in an incredibly annoyed tone,

“Daisy, why are you crying?! It’s suppertime!,” He yelled as the crying intensified and what sounded like broken recorder said with a sadness so deep it could put dramas to shame.

“Tom, please… I don’t want to talk right now,” Daisy spoke sadly.

Tom suspected that Daisy was hiding something and persisted.

“Daisy, If you don’t come out, I’m going to have to…,”

Tom paused as an idea formed in his head of how he could get Daisy to talk with him directly and maybe find out what happened while she drove with Gatsby earlier that day.

“I have a proposition, how about you and me come to the dining hall for some fried chicken and settle down a little. What do say?,” Tom said hoping Daisy would listen to a reasonable offer.

“Tom, I want…”

“You want what Daisy? … Daisy?”

Tom was confused at the sudden silence, he decided enough was enough. He went into the room only to see Daisy laying on the bed in the same white dress she had worn for the entire day.

“Why were you crying Daisy?,” Tom said with a hint of annoyance in his voice. As Tom looked into Daisy’s eyes, he saw that she was in a shattered, hot mess of emotions and chaos from previous events.

“Tom, lets just go to the dining hall already,  I hope Nick is…”

“Nick won’t be joining us for supper today.” Tom rushed to say.

“Why not?,” said Daisy with a hint of confusion in her voice.

“I don’t know, but if you want to eat, then we better hurry. I will change for dinner and you can go on ahead,” said Tom with a shaken frame in his tone of voice.

“Ok see you then,” Daisy said in a dismissive tone.

A few minutes later, both Daisy and Tom, now in a pure white suit were sitting across from one another as the table glimmered with the light of the chandelier, its many shattered crystals shining brilliantly like diamonds in the light above. The air crisp with smells of fried chicken crisping with delicious smells and wonder flowing from the kitchen. The rug, a dark shade of blue that held patterns of white lines and shapes strewn all throughout its appeal.

After a few more minutes Tom said with a layer of anxiety in his tone “Daisy, why are you acting like a scared animal? You must tell me this instant.”

“T--Tom I, I don’t know what you are talking about.”

The chicken was served cold as the tension increased between the two.

“Daisy, you know full well what I’m talking about. Your little ride with Mr. Gatsby--,” Tom said with a hint of annoyance in his voice that pierced the tension like fog as Daisy exclaimed,

“Tom! I thought you were finally over that!,” with a stressed tone. At that moment Tom realized what he had to do,

“Daisy, you know I love you and I care about you, I just want to make sure that you weren’t involved in something… ,” Tom said as new tension began to awake in Daisy as her face became full of fear and dread.

“Involved with what?,” Daisy said as she looked at Tom in a state of confusion.

“Don’t act surprised, a… woman was murdered by a yellow car today, the same car that Mr. Gatsby and you were in,” Tom said with pain in his heart the he tried to hide with passable success with his face showing restraint but also a hint of sadness that poured over his features as he spoke.

Daisy was shocked by what Tom had told her as she began to think of many horrors that may befall her if Tom ever truly learned of what had happened.

Tom pried for more information saying “Well Daisy? Don’t you have anything to say to this accusation, do you?” He squinted at Daisy, trying to intimidate her with his arrogant, shining eyes that looked deep into Daisy’s eyes, almost piercing them at one point.

“T-T-T-Tom, I---,” As Daisy began to speak a sudden noise from the window outside shook Daisy and Tom from their conversation.

“What was that?,” Tom wondered with a puzzled look on his face as he looked towards the direction of the noise.

In this moment, Daisy’s face began to turn towards the widow as her head turned, she approached the glass pane and looked down. As a half hour had passed and Tom ate some of the chicken, deciding that Daisy would reveal to him what the noise was. After a while, he became anxious and said “Daisy! What are you looking at?! Tell me now!”

Daisy turned to Tom and said “Nothing Tom, let’s just eat some of this luxurious chicken.”

Soon after most of the chicken had been eaten as Tom looked at Daisy with a glimmer of hope in his eyes and asked Daisy “Daisy how are you feeling? Are you over this whole charade now?”

“Tom, I’ve never been better, (under breath: I hope he will finally see how ridiculous it is talk about this silly little accident.)”

Tom was relieved, he finally had Daisy under control, he sighed and said “Daisy, thank you for coming to your senses for once. Lets go to our room.” And they left as Tom wouldn’t realize the future that awaited him and Daisy.

Credit: A work of fanfiction inspired by the events in the Buchanan’s home right after Myrtle’s death in The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.


The author's comments:

Rationale: What inspired me to create this story was the opportunity to fill a hole that was in The Great Gatsby. More specifically, this hole was created during the part of the book that didn’t go into the conversation between Tom and Daisy after Daisy accidently killed Myrtle, due to being restricted to Nick’s perspective we don’t see the conversation and don’t gain any further insight into Daisy and Tom’ relationship from this point in the story. So, in pursuit of an interpretation I decided to create my own scene to fit in the blanks.