battle in the woods | Teen Ink

battle in the woods

May 2, 2017
By jared1 BRONZE, Boulder, Colorado
jared1 BRONZE, Boulder, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

    My muscles were clenched tight against the cold tree.  Staggering from the cold, in the frozen woods with snow everywhere.  I’m halfway through the battle, I should  probably find a spot for me to settle down.  But I cant, I dont have enough time, I squat to hide from my opponents and continue fighting.  My arrows are thankfully with me, along with my bow, knife, and medicine.  I kneel to lower ground, and spot an opponent.  Grab my arrow and pull back, but suddenly I feel a sharp pain, I realized there’s a knife through my stomach.
I look down and see a big blade sticking through my stomach, and yet, I have no clue where it came from, there are opponents near.  This will hurt, but I have to sooner or later, I say to myself,  I grab the knife and pull.  “Ahhhh!!!” The knife slipped out, with so much pain. I take the medicine out of my bag and pour it deep into the wound.  It stings bad, but I can't do anything about it.  I have to use my last package of medicine, I call the helicopter.  It could be extremely bad or very good. The copter drops it down softly.  The metal package hits the ground hard.  I open the latch, and it looks good.  A steaming hot bowl of soup, a bandage, 2 blankets, and a golden bow.  I decided I need cover, I climbed up to a tree, ate the soup, covered my wound with the bandage, threw the warm blanket on, I looked at the golden bow.


   I woke up in the tree and stretched.  It was a sunny day and a lot of the snow was melted, although it was still cold.  I hear a crack down below. I looked down and saw an opponent, I panicked and pulled out my knife.  “No, no, no I'm friendly! Its ok I won't hurt you.”


“ Get away!” I screamed. But suddenly I felt warm around him and realized he wouldn't harm me.
  “ Thank you, I was looking for a place to settle, and ran into you. Anyways My Name is Henri, would you like a cookie?” He asked. 


“Umm sure.” I responded.  He handed me what looked like a chocolate chip cookie.  And from there on we stuck together for the rest of the battle.  A week later, we were walking through all the bushes and an opponent popped out and shot Henri, he died right in my arms.  I'm still on the look out for that opponent,  He’s tall, brown hair, brown eyes, and now that I think about it, its just me and him left in the battle. Just me and him.


The author's comments:

I wrote this piece because I liked the idea of how the hunger games happened and wanted to create a piece like this so thats what I did.