Pocket Watch | Teen Ink

Pocket Watch

February 22, 2009
By Anonymous

I remember when I left. When I escaped. Just me, without anyone.

My parents persuaded me to go, they would join later. I wanted them to come with me now, but they just said no.
?No, Samantha, you are going on your own. We wish we could go with you now but we can?t. You will understand later. It?s the best thing, for all of us?
I was young. Naﶥ. I believed them.
?The train is leaving soon, Mom. I don?t want to miss it. Will you come to the platform with me??
?Of course, honey. We will. But the longer you stay with us the harder it will be to part from us.?
?I know, but that?s thinking long term. I want to think just know, in the present, and I, right now, want to be with you as long as possible.?
And that was when I saw it. I had never seen it before.
The little tear that escaped my fathers eye. It didn?t escape when we lost granpa. It didn?t show itself when we lost grandma. So why show its head now? After all we were going to see each other in a few months, as was the plan.
?Do you have your red scarf, Samantha?? This time it was Father who spoke. The red scarf that I would wave when I arrived in America, to identify myself and for my uncle to meet me. Father?s eyes were still sad. He was trying to hide the tears.
The train was about to leave, my mother took my hand. She never showed her emotion physically, never took my hand as a child, but now she did. I wondered why, after all we would see each other in a few months. My father hugged me. Also a first.
Marcus wrapped his little arms around my legs and looked up to me with his big blue eyes watering. ?I'll miss you sister? He didn?t let go.
?Marcus honey, we will all see her soon.?
I stepped from the motionless platform to the moving train car. The train would take me to the boat. The boat would take me to safety.
I was halfway aboard when Marcus pulled at my skirt. ?Will you get me a pocket watch?? I sighed. He had been asking for one since he could first talk.
?Of course, Marky.?
My mother hugged me, and the train took off. ?I love you? I muttered under my breath, too late.
I looked out the window and saw my parents in tears. I wondered why. They knew, they knew that the Nazis would get them. They knew that by sending me and only me to America, I would be the only one to survive, They knew all along.
I still have the pocket watch, Around my neck everyday. I never got to give it to Marky.