tale of a theif | Teen Ink

tale of a theif

By thomAsGru BRONZE, Lafayette, Colorado
thomAsGru BRONZE, Lafayette, Colorado

Janice Jenkins is a rather mild mannered reporter for the Wellsburg Weekly and while you won’t find her work on the front page in big bold letters, week after week on a page near the end you will always find her, on the crime page informing her fellow citizens on the day to day activities of the criminal aspect of their city. It had been a slow month for Janice. Crime was down  and there wasn’t much to write about. That was until she got a letter addressed from the New Mexico Correctional Facility.
It read “your sections seems a little slow lightly and you always do such good work. So if you would come over here and immortalize my story in your paper as a citizen of wellsburg myself it would mean alot to me. Also if you are willing and able could you bring me a alaska state coin I collect coins and it is one of the few comfort they afford me in my five by four cell.
Thank you.
Sincerely Theodore Lockson.
Janice wasn’t particularly interested in the offer but nothing was going on and her section still needed to be written. So she began to pack her bags for the overnight trip  to the local prison. On her way down the hall from her apartment to the door she saw something shiny leaned over to pick it up and just stared at it. It was a shiny alaska state quarter from nineteen ninety eight. She pick up the shiny coin and pocketed it.
The next day she arrived  at the prison gate and there was going to be a long day ahead of her. It took almost an hour to get through all the security. It was almost like trying to get into the white house with all the prodding and and scanners making sure that she wasn’t bringing any contraband into the prison. When she finally made to the visiting chamber she found even more security but it was just a tall surly looking guy in a navy blue uniform who took her phone. When she finally made it to the visiting room proper she found it almost empty, save for a few young scared men talking to their families and at a table in the middle sat a man whose eyes could stare through your soul. This man quickly waved her over to him.
  “You are Janice correct. I hope you didn’t have too much trouble getting here security here has been extremely tight as of late.” He said with almost a palpable warmth to his voice.
“No , it wasn’t too much trouble I had nothing else to do any way.” Janice responded almost unsure she was in a prison. It seemed to her like this some sort of daycare for grown men.
“Than let us begin” Theodore continued
It was a rather pleasant day  I had just robbed the large house on Folton road off of the main street in Wellsburg, but even with that boost to my cash, funds were still wearing thin I needed someone else  and soon before I ran out of cash. So I went to the bar. Bars are always in my experience the best place you can find someone willing to talk about any number of topics from philosophy to who is new in town, and as luck may have it or what I thought was luck at the time I came out of that bar with the information that a mister Jakov had recently moved to town with a large vault full of jewels.and so for the next few nights I sat across the street on a roof of a house just watching and plotting and most importantly learning. I learned a lot of things in those night, like where the guards stood and witch of the guards were lazy and tried
It wasn’t until two weeks of waiting and watching and learning that I felt comfortable to try my attempt at the jewels. I sulked down from my roof  at nearly midnight when the lazy guards dozed off to sleep and the patrols hadn’t come to wake them up yet.  I made my way across the yard taking extra care not to make noise when ‘Crack’ a small but noise twig splintered beneath my weight, but thankfully the guard barely stirred and went back to snoring quickly. After that I had made it to the house and opened a window and snuck in with each step learning more about the depths of paranoia  that Jakov possessed there were a guard in front  of every room,  but apathy had gotten to all but the best guards. So it was relatively easy to snake around the one that bested their tired eyes and ever watching across the hall it went very smoothly up until I got to the vault. A large door made of steel with three locks and four combination wheels, truly top of the line. I got through the combination locks and two of the locks  without any problems. But on the third lock my pick broke and then I realized what I had gotten myself into no alarms sounded, in fact there was an eerie silence and a strange stillness. What tipped me off was despite my pick breaking the vault creaked then it squealed as if the joints hadn’t been oiled in years and on the  other side were not jewels but police. At least a dozen of them and from there I turned tail and ran. But even as fast as I was it was not enough the whole house was a trap and I had sprung it perfectly all the guards were up but this time wearing gold police badge around their neck. There was no way out I was caught. They carted me off to a courthouse where a faceless jury sentenced me to four hundred years in prison where I reside to this day.
“Do you happen to have an alaskan coin?”He asked me after maybe a minute  after finishing his story.
“You know what I do.” thinking back to the coin  she had gotten off the floor in the hallway. She reached into her pocket and pulled out the shiny silver coin and put it on the table Where he could reach even with his hands cuffed to the table. He quickly picked it up and was taken back to his cell. Janice looked at the man being taken away and at her notepad full of writing and thought”that was money well spent.
The next day Janice returned to her office in Wellsburg and began writing down the  whole story when one of her coworkers came bursting into her office and proclaimed “you have got to hear this and dragged her out to the main office area where a radio sat saying “and I repeat there is a convict on the loose. Mister Theodore Lockson was found to be missing from his imprisonment in New Mexico Correctional Facility at eight o’clock this morning. He is a tall white male in his late twenties he is to be considered dangerous and should contact authorities immediately if you see him” in the cool calm voice only con artist and radio show hosts are able to produce. Janice walked back to her office and noticed a small red package on her desk with a note that said “thank you T.L”.