Unique | Teen Ink

Unique

By UltraHero BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia
UltraHero BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia

Unique: 

This is a story about a kid. This is a story about a person who is just unique. This is a story about a boy named Unit Monco who loves coming out. This is a story about a boy who wears a green button-down shirt, a black belt, a blue pants, white long socks, and a white pair of shoes. This is his story, this is his world. Read on if you want to know more.
During the 7th and the 8th grade, he did many great deeds and stayed himself. He made straight A’s, helped many people, yet he was still very quiet to himself. When it came to summertime, he had nothing to do, so turn to the only option he knew: becoming relaxed, but was it too relaxing? With the 9th grade beginning and the summertime ending, it meant a new adventure for Unit. It was great, but then he became lazy and began to slip in his grades. Soon, he truly saw reality and tried to refuse it. Even though he got A’s from time to time and exceptional B’s, he also got C’s, D’s, and F’s. With trying to catch up with his grades, his deeds also started to slip. Soon, his behavior started to change, and he lost his way. Once then, he realized that he may not have his own title anymore and that lead to his new thought: creating his new title.
Our story takes place on one faithful day when he got an F on his second Physics quiz. Once he received it, it was devastating, but he still had to keep it under control because this was the day where he creates his new title. When he got home, he quickly spoke to his parents (who he disappointed), went to his room, and started up his computer. He soon paused and got angry. He threw a pillow to a motorcycle in his shelf. He almost began to cry and began to take fall his bed sheet, but he soon got an idea. Once then, he created a new but unknown email address and emailed his Physics teacher, Mr. Matt: “I can do better than myself. You’ll see the new me. Thank you.”
With the remaining time given, Unit thought of something else to go into his thought bank: with a new title, a new costume must come, a costume that only heroes would where. He needs a costume that only superheroes would wear. It took time with thinking up the idea for the costume and getting the needed materials, but the costume for the newcomer hero was ready: a black with thick blue border motorcycle helmet, thick long blue gloves and winter boots, a comfortable, long, and all blue and black war pants, a comfortable, long sleeve, black with blue border top, a decorated bed sheet used as a superhero cape, and a backpack with all the weapons, materials, and a few gallons of colorful paint. 
The next day, Unit came back to his house after school and did the same route as before, but he then took his costume, quickly left the house telling his parents that he was going to the park, but he was actually going to a place in the woods to practice combat skills that he got from the internet. It took time, but once he mastered that, he would make new tools that he will use on his mission. Once he got everything mastered and ready, he was finally ready.
A new hero named Unique was born. A hero with retractable Tasers and hand controlled paint blasters attached to his gloves, paper throwing stars, chalk-dust filled balloons, water balloons, water guns, and great combat capabilities. The only thing to do now was to put his new title to the test. 

One Friday night, the art students were trying to prepare for the art display showcase the next day, and they all had fear of what the audience would think. With those thought buzzing around their heads, their fear prevented them from finishing the job. When the students went back home, everywhere was dark and quiet except for a strong rustling in the vents. When opened, Unit as Unique, with his backpack, exited the vents and entered the art room. After he turned on the lights on his helmet, he saw the unfinished work of art.
“Time to get to work,” Unique said as he took out pencils, pens, color pencils, markers, paint, and rulers. It took time, but he was able to finish the job.
Soon, he went back to the vents, but when he made it back to the main school door, the police guard heard the landing. When they came to the main doors, they came face to face with Unique. They ran up to the masked hero with the tensions of holding him by the risk.
“Stop, and come quietly!” the police officers cried out. When they were very close to him, Unique launched two little chalk dust filled balloons to their faces blinding them to give him enough time to create a far distance from him and the cops. Once the chalk dust fog cleared, they saw that Unique was leaving. As they began to run, Unique began to search for a room to hide. Once he found one, he hid and waited for the tension to calm down.
It was quiet. Everywhere was calm. Step, step, step……footstep began to emerge. Step, step, step ……. It soon began louder. Suddenly ……step, step, step, step ……….. “AH!” Unique screamed as one of the police guards grabbed him by the shoulder.
“Who are you, young man?!” The police officer demanded.
“I’m just Unique,” he answered calmly before hitting him with his retractable Taser attached to the side of his glove. “Never hide your talent’s pride.” At that moment, he let go of Unique and fell to the floor. Once then, Unique ran out of that room and into the hallway where he bumped into the other police officer. The police officer grabbed him by the shoulder before he fell.
“Take off your helmet, young sir,” he said. “You’re coming with me.” Without hesitation, Unique punched him in the stomach which made the police officer let him go.
“I’m sorry,” Unique said. When the police officer got back up, he started to run towards Unique with all of his might. “Never hide your talent’s pride,” Unique said as threw a purple paint balloon to the police officer’s face. Even though he was hit, he kept on running until he slammed into the wall. “Never hide your talent’s pride” Unique repeated as he ran out of the school and into the shadows of the night.
When it was Monday, everyone in the entire school saw what Unique did: he finished all of their works of art, just in time for the audience to take a look. It was one of the most beautiful things they have ever laid their eyes on. When they were finish admiring it, they notice little writing at the bottom of all the artworks that said, “Never Hide your talent’s pride.”
With this mission as a success, Unit was able to complete many other missions successfully. With his encouragement and wisdom, it also inspired many other students to show their talents with confidence and pride. Even though it was working, some students took it the wrong way.

One Saturday ago, it was the afternoon before a basketball game. Unique was doing his original mission when he heard some unfamiliar voices at the beginning of the hallway. When Unique got on top of the lockers, his clothing allowed him to blend with the shadows.
“Do you believe we’ll get caught?” one of the voices said. Soon, two teen boys and one teen girl became visible. One of the boys wore a black shirt with a giant skull on it, blue pants, and white shoes. The other boy wore a red shirt with giant flames on it, black pants, and yellow shoes. The girl wore a purple shirt with a black crow on it, blue in the front and black on the black pants and white shoes. They were all wearing backpacks filled with spray cans paint balloons, and strong poles.
“Don’t worry, Juan,” one of the boys said. “Nobody will believe that we did it.  They will believe that Unique painted the graffiti in the gym when it was truly us. Sea, where is the gymnasium?”
Soon, Unique activated a record he attached to his right glove to record the conversation.
“Don’t rush me, Quin,” Sea cried softly. “I can’t work with your quiet screaming.”
“Well,” Quin quietly cried, “hurry, you fool. Who knows how long it’ll be until those police officers come over here.”
“If we do this,” Juan said, “then everyone will lose hope for Unique, and they will all know that we truly rule this school, right Quin?”
“Right, Juan,” Quin replied before ending the conversation.   
When they finished, Unique stopped the recording at the moment where they continued running. Knowing that the school may lose hope if the team completed their mission, Unique had to prevent them from being successful. Before they left the hallway, Unique threw three paper folded throwing stars that had pins attached to each end of the tip of the throwing stars at the three backpacks. Luckily, there was one hanging paint balloon coming out of each of their backpacks. When the throwing stars met the backpack, it opened a little hole and let a licking out a trail of paint. At the moment, Unique had an idea.
When Unique made it the principal’s offices, he took out a blow horn from his arsenal, went and turned on the intercom, and blew the horn. The sound was so loud that it alerted the cops and made the team hide into the nearest classroom.
“What’s going on?” Sea screamed as they all entered the classroom.
“I don’t know, Sea,” Quin yelled, “but it’s good that we’re in here. The cops would be coming by now. We’ll wait here, and when the coast is clear, we’ll……did you hear that?”
There was rustling in the vents, and it continued until...BOOM! Unique came out and knock Juan to the ground. When Unique was fully up, Quin was surprised, but he still tried to punch him. Unique dodged the blow, punched Quin in the stomach, and hit him in the back with his elbow. When Quin was down, Sea tried to attack, but Unique jumped over her and blasted paint into her face which blinded her and made her bump into a wall. Juan soon came up and tried to hit Unique, but Unique was too fast for a hit. Sea tried to hit Unique again, but he ducked and she accidentally hit Juan with enough force that knocked him out. Before Sea could comprehend what just happened, Unique hit her with a paint balloon to the face. She was blind, but she continued to run to hit Unique when she bumped into a weak Quin.
When they were all down for the count, Unique spoke, “No one can trick their talents.” After Unique left the recording at a far but noticeable distance away from the door, he back to the vents as the police officers entered the room.
“What is going on here?” asked one of the confused police officers. “What are these children doing here?” When he picked up the children, the team woke up and came to their senses.
“It wasn’t us,” Quin said weakly but immediately. Soon the cop found the recording, played it, and listened to everything.
“Wasn’t you, huh?” One of the police officers said.
“Ah, man,” Juan whinnied.

On the following Monday, everybody heard about what Quin, Sea, and Juan did, and there were rumors that it was Unique who defeated them. Weeks after weeks, Unique has been setting up great and educational surprises, lesson packs for all classes, and many other ways to teach other to never hide their talent’s pride. Even though these ways were only helpful, not harmful, the principal and every police officer still tried to catch Unique, and Unique still escaped their wrath.
As weeks went by, Unit also became better in his school classes, in his life, and got used to the high school ways. When he completes his mission as Unique, he uses his lessons from his school classes and practices them to become more successful in his missions. Even though he was doing great, he still didn’t feel at home with himself, but all of that change one day.

One Friday night, the Physics teacher was working late on making new assignments when he heard and saw Unit dress up as Unique who was going to complete another mission. After a few hours later and during a big chase between Unique and the policemen, Mr. Matt, was able to catch up to Unique, bring him to a large, but quiet place where they can get their privacy, the power room, and explain to him that he knows about him being Unique. They both talked to each other about how all this began, why, and etc.
“Unit,” the Physics teacher said, “just because thing isn't working well, in the beginning, don’t mean that you have lost everything.”
“I know,” Unit said, “but I was just scared that in would it in this world.”
“I understand,” Mr. Matt said. “Unit, do you know why you’re called Unit?”
“Why?”
“It’s because that there are many units of measurement. There are meters, inches, feet, and much more, but you’re not a unit, you’re the unit.”
“Thank You, sir.”
“You’re welcome. You can call me Hank. Look at yourself now. I already know that you’re doing great now these days, right?”
“You’re right, sir.”
“I knew it Unit, but now what are you going to do?”
“I don’t know what will come for me next. I mean that I can’t do this forever, and the others will soon get suspicious. Oh, man. What do I do now?”
When they were still conversing with each other, the police officers overheard Unique talking, bust into the room and tried to attack him. Unique was still able to duck but when the cops brought out their gun in order to stop Unique, they accidentally shot an engine that started to catch on fire. When the struggle between Unique and the two police officers continued, the fire started to spread across to other engines which made them catch on fire and spread even faster.
“You’re coming with us, young, sir,” one of the police officers said when he accidentally hit and destroy the only fire extinguisher in the room.
“No!” Unique cried as the fire soon began out of control and way too big to stop.
“Everyone, FIRE, FIRE,” Hank screamed.
“Our fight is meaningless in the middle of the raging fire,” Unique said as the struggle continued. “We need to get out of here.”
“He’s right, my partner,” the other cop said.
“Alright,” the first cop said. “Everyone, get out, now.”
As everyone started to leaving, and Mr. Matt was left, part of the building started to collapse at the door. He was trapped in the room, and at the same moment, one block of wood collapsed on top of his right leg which made him fall.
When Unique, the two police officers, and almost everyone else was out, Unique soon realized something, “Where’s Hank?!” When he realized that Mr. Matt was still in the building, he started to run back into the main door when a police officer caught him by the arm.
“You can’t go back in there,” the officer said. “You won’t make it out alive if you go back in.”
“I have to,” Unique said while still being surprised that the talk wasn’t about what he was doing in school. “He’s teacher, and it was all fault. I have to do this.”
There was a sudden pause when out of nowhere:
“Be careful in there.” the officer was touched by his speech touched and let go of him for him enter into the burning school.
As he was trying to make it through the fire, he kept on hitting the fire with his water balloon to clear the way. With each given time, he kept on dodging the blazing fire until a little flame touched his left glove, and the same thing was said when littles sparks of flames touched his arsenal bag and belt. When he caught it, he took it off and kept on moving. He soon found a cool fire extinguisher and used it until it ran out at the place where Mr. Matt was trapped. When he met the door, he punched it with his right glove which opened up the classroom.
“Mr. Matt,” Unique yelled as took off his right glove. “Mr. Matt, Hank, where are you.”
“Over here,” Mr. Matt said weakly. “I’m over here.”
When Unique found him, he wrapped him up with his cape and put him over his shoulder to take him out of the building. As many parts of the building started to collapse on them, they were still able to avoid the obstacles. As it was becoming harder and harder to breathe, Unique still had to have focus at the task at hand. At the moment where Unique was too weak to stand, they both made it the main door that was blocked. With all of his remaining strength, he kicked the door open but dropped down to the ground. Luckily, the officers saw them both and got them both out before the building collapsed completely.
“Thank you, my student,” Mr. Matt said weakly. “Thank you, Unit.”
“No,” Unique said weakly as he took off his helmet, “Thank you for everything, Mr. Matt.”
“You can just call me Hank.” Mr. Matt said weakly.
When everyone gathered around, they realized that Unique is really Unit Monco, but they didn’t say anything, they just clapped and jumped for joy knowing that they got out and they will be okay.

Weeks have passed, and the school was finally rebuilt. Mr. Matt had a sprained ankle, but he was still okay. Everyone also heard the news that Unit Monco was Unique, and that he saved Mr. Matt’s life. Even after that, Unit also confirmed that Unique was no more because the entire school has mastered the skills of showing their talents. As Mr. Matt predicted, Unit regain his original title. He still got straight A’s and became stronger with his talents.
With this comes the ceremony for today, Unique Day: a day of celebrating everyone’s talents. As everyone moved towards the gymnasium and found their seats, Unit, started his announcement.
“My fellow students,” Unit started, “as everyone would know, I was the superhero named Unique. The reason I brought up this character was that I feared that I lost my title in my life. I was failing my classes, I was worried that I wasn’t doing any good deeds, and I feared that I would never get my old self back. I’m here to tell you that I never lost the title, and I took a chance to learn more about myself. I became a hero to inspire others to bring out their talents, and by the look of it, I did a wonderful job. Each of you has a wonderful talent just waiting to for you to unlock it, but you have the key to unlock the door. With this said, I present to you: The Unique Cape. This cape will symbolize my phrase for everyone to remember, ‘Never Hide Your Talent’s Pride!’”