Soliliquy | Teen Ink

Soliliquy

April 13, 2015
By mat123116 SILVER, Topsham, Maine
mat123116 SILVER, Topsham, Maine
7 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Eagles may soar above the clouds, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines."
-Jason Hutchison and John Benfield


A brown two story came in to view as the school bus sped down the road. In the front yard next to a three foot pile of leaves stood a dilapidated sign that read “Happy Thanksgiving” Out of the bus stepped at girl with brown hair that hung around her shoulders. Going inside she passed the calendar, which read November 6, 2009, looking outside she sighed to herself “snow soon; there’s usually snow before thanksgiving.” A blue blur and the scattering of leaves told her that Perks, her little brother, had just jumped in to the pile of leaves she had raked the night before. “That little sniveling twerp,” she said to herself, “now all my work has come to nothing. I wish you would go away.”
Later that afternoon she heard a loud CRACK from the room where Perks was watching TV. She ran to the door way and saw a figure six feet tall with crimson eyes and blood red hair standing there, and be hind him two creatures dressed in shadow held Perks “Soliloquy help” shouted her brother.
“Who are you and what are you doing with my brother”
“I am merely complying with your wishes you wished him gone. I’ll lock him up in my dungeon. If you want him I’ll leave a portal from hear to my land for three days.”
She flung herself across the room spinning with a tornado kick aimed at his head. As soon as it would have hit the figure yelled "lethen" and she froze in midair.                 
He vanished. As soon as he left she could again. After vanishing he left a shimmering distortion of pink light, Soliloquy jumped in.

A sense of walking though honey enveloped soliloquy as she stepped though the portal. Then the heat of a noonday sun hit her body as she stood on a small hill over looking a giant maze and in the center a huge stone castle. A prickling sensation on her wrist caused her to look down and see a stone watch there; focusing she saw it was a timer counting down from 72 hours.
Thinking she best be off she started down the hill and walked to the nearest wall of the maze. Upon reaching it a face appeared in the hard rock. "Beyond me lay a fürchten, turn back, turn back."
"Don’t believe a word he says," said a voice from a bush. "There false alarms, just trying to scare you."
"Who are you?" asked Soliloquy.
"I'm Deyja." said a small dwarf stepping from the bush.
"Where do you enter this maze?"
"I wouldn't if I were you, even if you survived to the center you'd jut make it to the castle and be crushed anyway."
"But I must now will you help me or not."
"Fine! Hit the face's nose."
"Okay." with a WACK and grinding of stone on stone the wall slid back. Grabbing Deyja Soliloquy jumped inside.
"What was that for?!" spluttered Deyja.
"I need help navigating through this maze."
"Fine, I will take you as far as fürchten's boundary then good luck." And off the went trough the winding pillars of stone, soon arriving at a crossroads with a cave in the middle. "Take the one on the right that will take you to the forest. See ya." said Deyja turning to go.

"Hey that wasn't very long."
"Look you go strait trough the forest and your practically there."
"Thanks for nothing hog head"
"That’s Deyja" and with a CRACK he vanished. Walking for what seemed to be a mile down the forest path when she stopped dead in her tracks. In front of her stood a thirteen foot tall dragon like thing only the snout was a beak and the wings seemed thinner. It saw her, it started to charge, but just before it hit her she yelled "lethen" to her surprise, it froze, just as the word left her lips she felt weak, slowly losing strength, and just as she was about to faint someone jumped out, there was a blur of red, then blackness.
    Soliloquy awoke in a one room hut shelves full of books and a rack of swords every size and color. She noted a red and an empty peg also that the color green was missing from the spectrum. The door swung open and in stepped a man about six feet tall with black hair and a short beard. In a baritone he said "you have a gift and a curse. Your gift you can use magic, your curse stupidity, magic feeds off your energy if you use spell that requires too much energy than you have you'll kill yourself."
"What was that thing you saved me from?"
"A fürchten."   
"And your name?"
"Ramar. And you?"
"Soliloquy."
"How bout Soli, it's shorter?"
"Okay."
"Now what are you doing here?"

"The guy with the red hair took my little brother to his castle and I have to get him back."
"You mean Todes?"
"Who is he?"
"A warlock who has ruled here for far too long. He was once my student and when he took over stole Tourmaline, the green sword, from my wall. If you’re going to fight him you'll need some training in magic and with a sword."
"How long was I out?"
"Bout two days, the magic you did was simple, but it was still taking energy for a while before I could stop it."
"Two days!?!?I've got a few hours before the portal closes."
"Dang it. In that case here read some spells while I find you a sword." Ramar tossed Soli an old book then walked over to the rack, and taking in to account her size and stance took down a sheathed sword the color of pure gold. Then he when to the table and packed a back with some food and a canteen. Once Soli had memorized some useful spells the book was also packed in the bag and the sword was attached to her waist. She drew the weapon to reveal a bright gold blade with Narglem etched into the hilt around a topaz the size of a strawberry. Resheathing the blade she thanked Ramar and then lefted for the castle.
After leaving the hut she noted that she could see the castle from the path and walked the remaining distance to the castle gates.

Once inside the castle she went to the underground in order to find the dungeon coming to the first row of cells the last one held Perks. Running towards the cell she said "aufschließen" the cell and the cuffs binding her brother burst open. As soon as Perks stated to leave the cell a cold laugh came from behind Soli, she whirled around drawing Narglem as she went. In front of her stood Todes Tourmaline in his hand. Soli charged Todes and their blades met gold and green sparks lit up the room. A block, parry, duck, slash. Thinking fast Soli yelled "sezan tar" immediately Todes was thrown against the opposite wall and Soli and Perks were transported to right in front of the portal. Stepping through the portal and BANG.
Soli sat up, she was in her room. She wondered if it had all been a dream, she thought then said "botslev" a flame shot out of her finger to reveal a golden hit and a canvas bag.


The author's comments:

I've posted this story before but I took it down for some reason, so its back. Inspired by the work of christopher paolini and Jim Henson's Labyrinth.