Remembering Nothing | Teen Ink

Remembering Nothing

By lucero.cristina BRONZE, Guaynabo, Other
lucero.cristina BRONZE, Guaynabo, Other
4 articles 1 photo 1 comment

I woke up not knowing where I was, it seemed to be a white room with one of those sofas where you can sleep on. All of a sudden I heard this woman screaming “Oh my god! Athena, you’re alright!” The woman came toward me and gave me a big hug and started kissing my forehead. What the h*ll is this woman doing? Do I even know her? She must have confused me with someone else. “Excuse me… I’m sorry to be rude, but do I know you?” The woman’s smile suddenly faded, tears began to build up in her eyes, but then her lost smile found a way back into her face and the woman said, “You don’t remember who I am, do you?” The woman was looking straight into my eyes, which frankly startled me a little but I found a way to speak again, “No, I am very sorry but I truly don’t. Am I supposed to remember you?” All the tears that had been building up in her eyes suddenly dropped, but without ever losing her smile and with that she left the room.

It wasn’t about ten minutes later that a man with a white coat type of thing came into the room and behind him entered that woman who had called me Regina, Christina, Athena or something like that. The man was in his mid 30s, quite handsome, tall, strong, blue eyed & brunette, he introduced himself as Dr. Reynolds. Then he said, “Do you mind if I ask you some questions? It’s completely up to you Miss.” I said ok and he started springing questions at me. After a couple of easy ones he said, “What it your name?” I must have looked at him funny because he then repeated the question. I started thinking about the question deep inside my head, I could feel like I was looking for the answer deep inside, like if I had lost the file containing the response. Then I said, “I…” then I hesitated for a second, but was able to compose myself once again, “… Don’t know my name…” He then passed on to the next question, “What is the last thing you remember doing?” Like the other question I had to think really hard to remember but suddenly I remembered, “I remember being on some kind of ride… Like at amusement park…” The woman next to him suddenly started crying like a baby, like when you cry and cry and can’t reach for air and you feel like you’re going to choke. Dr. Reynolds looked at her patted her on the back and sat her down and then came back to me and asked, “You sure you don’t remember anything after that?” I looked at him with a weird face and thought to myself, why would I lie to him? Am I supposed to remember anything after that? What is my name? Where do I live? WHERE AM I? AND WHATS GOING ON? I suddenly felt like I couldn’t breathe, I started hyperventilating, I felt dizzy and I couldn’t see straight, everything started to twirl around me until all I could see was a black background and voices screaming, go get help!

When I woke up again I saw I was in the same room as before but I could feel someone’s presence in the room. When I looked around I found myself completely alone but I still felt like someone was there. Then a woman in a pink nurse’s uniform, she was walking toward the bed I was in when she realized I was awake and said, “Oh, I’m sorry I thought you were asleep. I didn’t wake you did I?” She looked worried and I said, “No, I woke up a few minutes ago. Where am I?” She looked at me like if I where stupid and then kept walking to the bed and grabbed a sort of binder. She looked inside and her eyes started to open widely, which really did scare me. Then she said, “Dr. Reynolds will answer that question for you my dear, let me go look for him.” She exited the room almost running and a few minutes later Dr. Reynolds came in the door. Once he was in the room I noticed he was surprisingly calm but he then said, “Hello there. Your m—” I interrupted him saying, “Where the h*ll am I?” He breathed in and sat down next to my bed and said, “You’re at the hospital; you were in a sort of accident.” I just looked at him, these things he was telling me couldn’t be true… they just couldn’t, how could I be in the hospital? I couldn’t find words to speak and I guessed he figured it out, because the next thing he said was, “Don’t worry, your alright. The only thing is… you lost your memory.” With those four last words my world came crumbling down. I felt empty… but then found a way to ask, “Who am I?” He looked at me curiously, like if I was an experiment and he had just seen something supernatural, he then said, “You are Athena, your 16 years-old, and you’re a sophomore at high school. Your mother’s name is Metissa. I have been informed you have a boyfriend whose name is Gabriel and is a senior. Your best friend’s name is Isabella but everyone calls her Bella.” As I was hearing all these things Dr. Reynolds was telling me, I felt something or someone entering the room, I quickly looked at the door, but it was completely closed. What was happening to me? All of a sudden I felt something on my head, as if it was trying to soothe me. I quickly snapped out of it and gave my complete attention to Dr. Reynolds. Once he had told me all those things he asked me if I wanted to meet them, he said they were very worried about me and once I said yes the first person came in.

He was handsome; he was probably my age or few years older. He had blonde-brownish hair and his eyes were green, he rushed to me and his scent seemed familiar, he smelled fresh, yummy like all I wanted to do was hug him and smell him. Then I realized he was Gabriel, the boyfriend I didn’t know I had. He hugged me and kissed my forehead, just like that woman had before, he then said “I thought I’d lost you Lena, are you alright? I love you so much!” He said he loved me… did I love him back? Was I alright? Did he loose the Lena he knew? I came back to my senses and told him, “Gabriel… I don’t remember anything. I don’t remember you, I don’t remember my mother and right now I need your help, because I’m sure you know me better than anyone.” His eyes started getting wet and then I realized he was crying, he looked at me deeply and said, “Athena, you’re my goddess, I love you & I would do whatever it takes to win your heart back… again” Once he said goddess my body started tingling in a way weirder than weird. I felt something when he said that word… It was something inside me, something I wasn’t aware of but I knew was there… Then I realized Gabriel had took my hand and was kissing it, I never imagined that he was going to be THIS sweet & caring.

That feeling of someone in the room came back to me. I felt like the presence was mad, annoyed or jealous. I looked around the room again to see if anyone else was there, but I couldn’t see anyone besides Gabriel. He was still holding my hand, looking at me curiously. I could see he was worried about me, his eyes showed big concern over me. He then said, “Are you okay Lena? Besides the not remembering your past part” I giggled a little and gave him a big smile, “I’m fine, I just feel a little weird. I have a question, before this all happened were there any secrets I told you about?” Then he looked really weird, “Secrets? Of course there were secrets, but what kind of secrets?” I then said, “Well I don’t know, like big secrets… Did I ever tell you really important secrets?” He then smiled at me and said, “Not really… Why?” When he smiled, I suddenly gained hope but then as I heard his words I lost all that I had gained. I tried to smile and then said, “No reason… I was just thinking that if I knew my secrets… then maybe I could learn or remember my past.” He quickly said with a compassionate voice, “Lena, you know that the doctors said that the chances of you remembering your past are barely even possible.” To hear him say that infuriated me, how could he have no hope of me remembering my past? I breathed in and calmly said, “Gabriel, would you mind telling Isabella to come in? I would like to mee– see her.” He looked annoyed; somehow knowing he was annoyed by my asking gave me some sort of pleasure. Annoyed as he was he kissed my forehead and said, “For you Lena… anything.”

As he walked out of the room I felt something gently grab my hand, I quickly screamed and Gabriel spun around and ran to my side. He was scared, I could see it in his eyes, just like before he was worried about me, and it was as he knew the cause of my screaming. “What’s wrong? Are you okay? What happened?” He grabbed my hand and quickly realized I had the shape of four fingers burnt on my palm. He looked at me strangely and then turned my hand so that back of my hand was facing him and was surprised see a thumb burnt between my thumb and index fingers. He raised his eyes at me once again and said, “Lena, who did this to you?”

Bex1997 said...
Ooooohh... More! More! More!

lucero.cristina BRONZE, Guaynabo, Other
4 articles 1 photo 1 comment
hey ! if you liked what I posted of Remembering Nothing you should keep reading at www.webook.com/project/Remembering-Nothin-working-title

ResistMe PLATINUM, New Tazewell, Tennessee
Oh Whoa.

That was great!

Mooooooore!

I loved it.

i lovedd ur story how did u think of athena for ur character is she wise because athen is the goddess of wisdom.i hope 2 see u put a ending 2 the story 2 see wat happens to lena or athena

alice w. said...
on Jun. 24 2009 at 2:28 am
what happens next???????? write more

brand*new*eyes SILVER, Saint Louis, Missouri

Misguided ghosts
Traveling endlessly
The ones we trusted the most
Pushed us far away
(paramore)

wooooooow! this is the kind of stuff i love to read. Its dark, loving, and a fantasy at the same time. You should continue to write, it doesnt seem finished.Please check out something i wrote if you have the time. It's called Between Life and Death.

booksarelife4me SILVER, Lutherville, Maryland

"Forgive and Forget and Never Regret."~A old friend

o my gosh!! what happens next?!?!? WRITE MORE PLEASE!!!!!!

unearthlyhaphazard GOLD, N/A, New York

"There are three rules for writing the novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."~W. Somerset Maugham

Amazing story! I love the plot and the whole amnesia idea! Please write more!

on Jun. 22 2009 at 12:45 am
LoveLikeWoe DIAMOND, LeSueur, MN, Minnesota

Whoever laughs first has the sickest mind.

??? you need to write more!! This story is amazing!