the card game | Teen Ink

the card game

By IWILLownNATHAN BRONZE, Orlando, Florida
IWILLownNATHAN BRONZE, Orlando, Florida

"The sky is falling"

It’s the third round and there are only five of us still in the game. I’m at the casino royal. This is a big money game. I have 30 thousand dollars I put into this game and I’ve got 60 thousand dollars in my pile. I can already see the bouncers creeping over to our table. They round finishes and the new cards are dealt. The first three cards come up and I’ve got it. A straight flush. The cards are all clubs and its 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. It’s the third best hand you can get so I go all in. They think they can call a bluff so they are all in as well. The fourth card is revealed and I know I’ve got it. He pulls up a ten four the fifth card and I go nuts.
Walk out the door with 360k and I feel like a champ. Turns out I’m going to have to feel like a champ in a ditch, because that’s where I wake up. The money is all gone and my head fell like an earthquake happened in my brain. I get up feeling like a night after a train hit you. I head towards the only exit. I contemplate how this could have happened when I see the table. It is a small table with green felt on it. The poker table has a man in a white suite sitting smiling at me.
I don’t know what this means, but he tells me to have a seat. For all I know I’m in another country. The man speaks and I recognize the thick Russian accent from the dealers of the casino. I’m informed that I will be entered in a tournament for Texas holdem. If I win I get a thousand dollars. The man will get my winnings and I will be allowed to leave. If I lose I will be killed and thrown in the ocean. If I try to run away I will be killed. If I call the police I will be killed.
The tournament starts in a small warehouse, there are 32 people in the tournament. I’m paired with a man with a lazy eye. The game ends quickly with my bluff and me taking all his money. The next match takes longer. I bet high but he calls the bluff. I lose a lot of money. I slowly regain it back and I win with a full house by going all in. The next round passes quickly and I reach the top four. The deal the cards and I don’t have anything so he wins the first round. Four more rounds go by with the same result. He has double what I have so I have to make a move. My cards are all right so I bluff. All in when the fourth card drops. He calls its all or nothing. We show are cards and I’m afraid to look. I can’t believe it. I lost.
I see the Russian nodding his head to the goons. They take me away toward the back of the ware house door. We walk out to the alley and I know what’s coming. But just what I least expected happens. One of the guards hits the other with his gun. The goon is unconscious. He tells me to follow him and I’m greeted by a cop car. He says hell explain everything so we drive away. Last thing I see the warehouse is lit up by blue and red.

this is my greatest novel yet