The Return of the Mermaid | Teen Ink

The Return of the Mermaid

Maria stepped out of the taxi and looked out at the Atlantic Ocean, The place she had called home so many memories ago. She walked along the sand, her bones frail and aching as they had grown weak and old long ago. The sun was going down so there were only a few people were on the beach and even they were leaving. Maria sat on the soft sand and waited for them to leave, Once the last car had pulled away and the last bike started to peddle she stood up. As she stared at the water she saw her childhood and her past memories of love, loss, and death. She took a step into the wet sand and let her feet sink in a little before continuing walking. She took a few more steps and then let the waves touch her feet. The memories and sorrow that brought. She then started walking steadily into the water her emerald green dress was now ruined as the bottom of it was emerged in the water now at her knees. Maria walked until she was neck deep in the water not including the waves which out here weren’t that big. As she walked the fish didn’t swim away, The manta rays just slid gracefully away a foot or two and the dolphins were soon beside her, she was a long lost friend to them whose story had not yet been forgotten. Suddenly her legs were no longer aching for they were no longer there instead there was a long purple tail, her hair was no longer white but it was a beautiful teal, her skin no longer wrinkled and pale it was yet again tight and tanned. She was a child again, swimming home, but that was before…never mind. She was now swimming for the water was too deep to walk in. She glanced back at the shore for this was the last time she was going to see it. It was still there. Far away but still there. She left the surface and started to swim deeper, she need not breathe. Her natural borne gills instantly appeared when her lungs no longer received air. As she did a glaze appeared around her eyes so the salt water didn’t hurt her. Finally, she reached the ruins of an underwater city. The building were crumpled. The roads only filled with small fish. The market was now home for a school of sharks. She could have cried except, it was impossible in the sea. Finally she reached the palace of King Triton. She swam to the upper window in the north tower and turned around, here she used to love the view of the town, she could see everyone and everything. She swam into her room and looked around; the room had stayed the same as it was before the war. She swam into her olde bed where the last mermaid peacefully died.

Hermione-Granger BRONZE, Bethel Park, Pennsylvania
This is beautifully written!

This is quite the moving piece.  I definately did not expect this type of emotional depth from the title that you gave it, but I really enjoyed it. :)  I would be interested to see where your writing abilites continue to take you.  Please post another piece when convenient :).

xenon333 PLATINUM, Billerica, Massachusetts
i love it!!