The Silent Amphibian

Once, in a bog in a far away land (doubtless full of swamps) there were five frogs sitting on a floating log. They were all perfectly camouflaged. However, a crocodile with keen eyesight spotted them as abnormal lumps. He swam up and told the frogs, "I have a hankering for frog legs. And perhaps I'll eat the rest too. If any of you don't want to be eaten, speak out now." Now, the crocodile really couldn't make out exactly where the frogs were, so he was hoping one would be foolish enough to protest. Sure enough, one did, and quickly vanished into the grinning and contented jaws of the crocodile. However, he was still hungry. Once again, the malicious crocodile spoke. "If you do not want to suffer the same fate as your now deceased companion, tell me now. One by one, the frogs croaked their protest to the crocodile, who ate them on the spot. With four eaten, only the fifth frog was left, sitting petrified before the monstrous reptile cooly eating his companions. Now the last frog of course didn't want to be eaten. But he had seen what had happened to his fellow frogs. When the crocodile inquired again whether anyone wanted to be spared, the frog wisely stayed quiet. Puzzled, the crocodile asked again. He had been sure there were five frogs. When no response came, the befuddled crocodile swam off in search of some dim-witted fish, or egrets. Egrets were good. The remaining frog lived for a long, boggy life.

idolgirl said...
May 25, 2010 at 12:14 am
How'd you fit so much character and fun into such a short piece?  Keep writing!

storyfan said...
I am rooting for the clever little frog!  Loved the story. Keep posting!

Mooncake said...
Loved the story! Sometimes silence is golden!

bigtimereader said...
This is so charming.  Loved the imagery.  I can picture them all out there in the bog!