My Addiction | Teen Ink

My Addiction MAG

February 7, 2015
By ikaspriskie BRONZE, West Orange, New Jersey
ikaspriskie BRONZE, West Orange, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Essay prompt: Describe a place or environment where you are perfectly content. What do you do or experience there, and why is it meaningful to you?

 

I hunch over the dimly lit desk in my bedroom, my thumb poised to push the plunger of the syringe I clutch tightly. Before I send the dark red liquid out of the blunted needle, I breathe deeply, preparing for the ritual rush of exhilaration. I am cut short by the door opening.

“What are you doing?”

My mom stands in the doorway with a questioning look. I hold up the fountain pen I’m refilling with oxblood-red ink, and her surprised eyebrows quickly relax.

“Okay, when you’re done, please get your laundry out of the basement so I can do mine.”

I smile and nod, too engrossed in my project to formulate a coherent response.

It is Saturday evening, pen maintenance day, and nothing can distract me from my paradise. My desk is my true home, my office supply center, a Staples-away-from-Staples. The cabinets above the desk house dozens of ink bottles, hundreds of ink samples, and a fleet of fountain pens. Diluted ammonia and old T-shirts meant for cleanup live on their own shelf, ready to be pulled out at a moment’s notice.

I finish filling the Pilot pen in my hand and put away the bottle of ink. HP Premium LaserJet 32 paper is retrieved from the top drawer of my cabinet, and I begin the real work. When the 14k nib of my Pilot pen touches the paper, I let out a long sigh of contentment. The reddish-brown ink flows from the pen smoothly, leaving behind swirls of color. I write a pangram to give myself an impression of the color and the ink’s properties before writing my review. I test the waterproof quality, saturation, and bleed-through, giving each property a rating. Once I use cotton swabs to lay down thick lines of color onto the paper, I can compare the new ink to others I have tried. I use my handheld scanner to digitize my handwritten review before opening up my laptop.

“11,518 views,” my blog dashboard reads.

I grin and click the “New Post” button. A few keyboard strokes and mouse clicks later, my “Diamine Oxblood Ink Review” is online and ready to view. I shut the tab and open up the Fountain Pen Network forums. After ogling over pictures of limited-edition Montblanc pens and Waterman inks, I check the price tags and close my laptop.

Before I can get back to writing out song lyrics and history notes with my well-loved utensils, I run downstairs to get my laundry from the washing machine. 


The author's comments:

"Describe a place or environment where you are perfectly content.  What do you do or experience there, and why is it meaningful to you?"

As someone hopelessly in love with office supplies, I wanted colleges to know how deeply that love ran within me. Accepted by my dream school, I am beyond grateful that this obsession played a part.